The Student Room Group

Is Uni really worth it?

I'm currently in College, however i've been thinking about whether i'd like to go to Uni or not in the future. The only thing that puts me off Uni is the fees...

Please give me your thoughts and pos/neg's regarding Uni!

Scroll to see replies

There isn't a straightforward answer to this, it depends on a number of thing including what career you want to go into, predicted grades etc.

However it must be said that in the majority of circumstances, having a degree from a prestigious university will likely enable you to progress in any career you choose more quickly than if you didn't have one at all. So it all depends!
Reply 2
Original post by LauraB101
There isn't a straightforward answer to this, it depends on a number of thing including what career you want to go into, predicted grades etc.

However it must be said that in the majority of circumstances, having a degree from a prestigious university will likely enable you to progress in any career you choose more quickly than if you didn't have one at all. So it all depends!

At the minute i'm unsure of what i'd like to do in the future - maybe i should wait and see if its right for me!
Thanks for the feedback
No it's not.

Coming from a university student.
Original post by Anonynous
No it's not.

Coming from a university student.

Well you certainly don't represent all of us, I'm doing a science degree and in my case I'd say it's worth it.
Well you certainly don't represent all of us, I'm doing a science degree and in my case I'd say it's worth it.

I don't give a **** what you're doing and I don't give a **** what you think.

Science degree at a top 10 in the field Oxbridge/Imperial etc.. - relevant

Anywhere else, prepare to work at mccdonalds
Original post by georginabrnl
At the minute i'm unsure of what i'd like to do in the future - maybe i should wait and see if its right for me!
Thanks for the feedback

You'll probably have an idea of what you want to do nearer the time that you decide whether or not to go. If you're still struggling then talking to parents, teachers etc. could be useful :smile:

Actually for a lot of courses, e.g. nursing or radiography, employers don't really care where you did your degree. As for the universities you named, some places actually have statistically higher graduate prospects than them. I don't expect you to care what degree I'm doing, just making the point that I'm a student too.
Actually for a lot of courses, e.g. nursing or radiography, employers don't really care where you did your degree. As for the universities you named, some places actually have statistically higher graduate prospects than them. I don't expect you to care what degree I'm doing, just making the point that I'm a student too.

L0L k, becuz ur an employer right. So naive. ur studyin a science which is useless unless u wanna continut in academia, apart from theoretical physics which the maths skills can be xferred.
Reply 9

Literally the most narrow minded thing I've heard in a while.

If you don't like people discussing University courses etc... on a STUDENT BASED forum, feel free to leave.

That person is quite obviously a troll, don't bite.

Anyway, I saw on BBC News the other day that more people in the working age bracket now have a degree than those who don't. So seeing as they are becoming the norm, I would say getting one is a good idea. The only person I know who didn't go to uni is working in the same clothes shop as she was 3 years ago when I left for uni. Obviously there are some people who are successful without going to uni but I wouldn't count on being one of the lucky few. As you say you don't know what you want to do, maybe have a gap year and do some work experience to find out before rushing into a random course.
L0L k, becuz ur an employer right. So naive. ur studyin a science which is useless unless u wanna continut in academia, apart from theoretical physics which the maths skills can be xferred.

Nah I'm not an employer, however graduate prospects >>>> refer to league tables to get a fairly accurate picture. I haven't said where I'm studying or in what field of science so I'm just gonna go ahead and ignore any personal comment you want to make.
Original post by georginabrnl
I'm currently in College, however i've been thinking about whether i'd like to go to Uni or not in the future. The only thing that puts me off Uni is the fees...

Please give me your thoughts and pos/neg's regarding Uni!

From a financial/career standpoint, I'd say it's only worth it if you go somewhere with a very good reputation.

From a "self-fulfilment" standpoint, I'd say it's only worth it if you're going to go somewhere where the course is going to be challenging enough to necessitate that you spend 3 or more years of your life on it usually somewhere with a very good reputation.

Going to a substandard university is going to leave you with less money, a worthless bit of paper, and a feeling of regret for not trying harder at school.
I wouldn't have done my course if it was going to be £9k a year.
Original post by infairverona
That person is quite obviously a troll, don't bite.

Anyway, I saw on BBC News the other day that more people in the working age bracket now have a degree than those who don't. So seeing as they are becoming the norm, I would say getting one is a good idea. The only person I know who didn't go to uni is working in the same clothes shop as she was 3 years ago when I left for uni. Obviously there are some people who are successful without going to uni but I wouldn't count on being one of the lucky few. As you say you don't know what you want to do, maybe have a gap year and do some work experience to find out before rushing into a random course.

Ha thanks, I realised quite quickly that when they said 'no it's not worth it' straight off the bat :P

And for every one of those jobs there are plenty of others who only consider candidates from certain universities. The finance industry (i.e. the largest employer in the UK) for starters are usually very selective in that respect, because they have enough applicants to get away with it.

Edit: Also, it's very easy to manipulate statistics to show things that aren't really there. Somebody who went to Ox/Cam/Imperial is always going to have initially better odds of landing a given job than somebody doing the same course at somewhere else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Starting salary is statistically much higher with a degree than without. I guess if you got into Bolton to do table manufacturing it'd be pointless, but a good degree from a good uni is definitely going to put you ahead of everyone who left after A-levels. But if you're aspiring for an upper-middle class job then uni is the best way to get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Astronomical
And for every one of those jobs there are plenty of others who only consider candidates from certain universities. The finance industry (i.e. the largest employer in the UK) for starters are usually very selective in that respect, because they have enough applicants to get away with it.

Edit: Also, it's very easy to manipulate statistics to show things that aren't really there. Somebody who went to Ox/Cam/Imperial is always going to have initially better odds of landing a given job than somebody doing the same course at somewhere else.

Of course I'm aware that for some courses you're scuppering your chances by not going to a prestigious university, I was just making a response to the comment that it's not worth going AT ALL unless you go to a top university. That seems to be the common stigma and it's just not true in ALL cases.

Pretentious douchebag. That is all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending