The Student Room Group

Mathematics Mechanics and Statistics

I have just started my AS studies, I am studying:
History
English Literature
Chemistry
Maths (stats)

I was just wondering whether I should have taken mechanics or statistics (my school offers both at A Level)
Are they both equally regarded when applying to university?
Reply 1
Do you have 14 GCSES at A/A*?
Original post by EzBB
I have just started my AS studies, I am studying:
History
English Literature
Chemistry
Maths (stats)

I was just wondering whether I should have taken mechanics or statistics (my school offers both at A Level)
Are they both equally regarded when applying to university?

I found M1 a lot easier than S1 but probably no point in doing mechanics if you're not doing physics.
Reply 3
That wasn't my point, Uni's wont look at what units you've done unless it's Oxford and Cambridge. Judging by your reply, you don't have the necessary GCSE grades in which case you wont be going to Oxford or Cambridge. In conclusion, you wont need to worry about S1 or M1 or even D1 just get A* overall in A level maths and you'll be just fine.
Reply 4
Stats is easier if you aren't doing physics. Not as interesting to me though. You can probably do m1 next year if you want to.
Reply 5
My GCSE's
1A* 8A 1B
Disappointment to myself.
Reply 6
I would really like to go to Oxford and despite my awful GCSE's 1A* 8A's and 1B, I am not ruling it out and having spoken to a friend who works in the admissions office at Christ Church College I am not too disheartened.

Quick Reply

Latest