The Student Room Group

why doesnt everyone just apply for foundation year med?

hi im looking at applying for medicine and i know that the requirements are BCC for some unis for medicine with foundation year, it just seems to good to be true, why isnt everyone applying for it?

I know a lot of unis dont accept people with more than 1 science alevel but loads also do...
Original post by nmjasdk
hi im looking at applying for medicine and i know that the requirements are BCC for some unis for medicine with foundation year, it just seems to good to be true, why isnt everyone applying for it?

I know a lot of unis dont accept people with more than 1 science alevel but loads also do...

Some have strict criteria for people from disadvantaged backgrounds. But the main reason is that it can be INSANELY competitive - often those who aren't sure about their grades apply here. It's the same reason why Leeds (for example) was so competitive - it didn't require BMAT or UKCAT so those with weaker/average scores (i.e most) applied there (and presumably they got tired so introduced the BMAT).
Reply 2
Original post by QuidditchFan
Some have strict criteria for people from disadvantaged backgrounds. But the main reason is that it can be INSANELY competitive - often those who aren't sure about their grades apply here. It's the same reason why Leeds (for example) was so competitive - it didn't require BMAT or UKCAT so those with weaker/average scores (i.e most) applied there (and presumably they got tired so introduced the BMAT).

i still dont get this if they're so competetive why are they not asking for something close to the AAA requirement of normal medicine like ABB?
Original post by nmjasdk
i still dont get this if they're so competetive why are they not asking for something close to the AAA requirement of normal medicine like ABB?

Because they're meant for people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Many people don't have the chance to reach their potential sadly but luckily these medical schools are providing schemes for them.
Reply 4
Original post by QuidditchFan
Because they're meant for people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Many people don't have the chance to reach their potential sadly but luckily these medical schools are providing schemes for them.

this still doesnt make sense.
Just because they ask for lower grades doesn't mean everyone will automatically get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nmjasdk

Think about it, if a student is attending a poorly performing school, is in an area with high crime or has issues at home with family, it wouldn't seem fair to apply the same criteria to them as other medicine applicants. The course is designed to allow for students with potential which wasn't necessarily reflected in their A level grades.
And yes, it is fiercely competitive so there are still criteria which these students need to meet.
Reply 7
Original post by nmjasdk

What's so confusing about it? People from worse backgrounds get worse grades.
Reply 8
Original post by Coffeetime
Just because they ask for lower grades doesn't mean everyone will automatically get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by LauraB101
Think about it, if a student is attending a poorly performing school, is in an area with high crime or has issues at home with family, it wouldn't seem fair to apply the same criteria to them as other medicine applicants. The course is designed to allow for students with potential which wasn't necessarily reflected in their A level grades.
And yes, it is fiercely competitive so there are still criteria which these students need to meet.

Original post by james22
What's so confusing about it? People from worse backgrounds get worse grades.

hows that going to stop someone whos not poor applying for it, i mean its not like they do background checks, AND im from one of the most poorest areas in the country nobody knows this is something exclusive for people from our backgrounds. and nothing on these entry requirement websites say you have to be from a poor background.
Original post by nmjasdk
hows that going to stop someone whos not poor applying for it, i mean its not like they do background checks, AND im from one of the most poorest areas in the country nobody knows this is something exclusive for people from our backgrounds. and nothing on these entry requirement websites say you have to be from a poor background.

They don't just mean how much money you have in the bank. They look at things such as the school you came from and its reputation. That doesn't mean other students can't apply, but it's there to help those that are less fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nmjasdk

What is so difficult to understand about it? They have a number of criteria applicants have to meet to do with their school's reputation, household income etc. and they have to meet a certain number of these, say 2, to be considered for a place. If they apply and the criteria don't apply to them - no offer. Simple really.
Reply 11
ok im gonna check their website to have a look at these other criteria
Oh brilliant so they dumb down medicine now just so everyone feels included. I'm sure that will be of some comfort to me if i ever need surgery "don't you worry you're in safe hands i doned gone good in my a-levels n everything"
Original post by blue n white army
Oh brilliant so they dumb down medicine now just so everyone feels included. I'm sure that will be of some comfort to me if i ever need surgery "don't you worry you're in safe hands i doned gone good in my a-levels n everything"

Damn people are stupid. it's jsut widening participation for medicine! so many bright students are kept down because of their background, home situation or poor schooling. it's not that they're not clever (because you have to be) it's just that you haven't performed well and reached your full potential!
Reply 14

People don't become doctors after a-levels. That's why they go to MEDICAL SCHOOL.

I think you're being deliberately thick here. Else just very stereotypical. People need an opportunity to reach their potential since they're bright and many people from disadvantaged backgrounds make brilliant doctors. anyway, isn't that the point of NHS? Equality for all?
Original post by nmjasdk

I'm pretty sure they will, actually. And I expect that some of their funding is tied to them giving places to people who meet certain criteria, so it's not in their interest to drop those criteria and just accept people with higher grades regardless of background. Plus there are far fewer places on these courses than on regular programmes, if everyone applied to them they'd just be stupidly competitive.

You certainly don't need AAA at A-level to become a doctor.
I'm not sure I would want someone who doesn't know how to use capital letters being my doctor...
Reply 18

You know that it's not an easier course, right? They do an extra year at the start to make sure everyone's up to speed and then they do the regular course with everyone else. At least that's the only impression I've ever got of how it works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending