The Student Room Group

Quartic Equation Trouble

Hi there, in our class, we've never done any work on cubic equations, never mind quartic and so I have no idea what to do with this: 9x^4 + 8x^2 - 1

Thanks!
Try using a simple substitution. For these a general rule would be to let y = x^2 meaning you can then substitute this into a new equation. See if you can work it out from there :smile:
It's a quadratic in x^2.
Reply 3
Convert it into a quadratic, with a substitution like the poster above said.

Then once you get an answer, sub back in and expand.
Reply 4
Ahh, so re write it as 9y^2 +8y -1?
Original post by Bunneh
Ahh, so re write it as 9y^2 +8y -1?

Solve that

Then your y will equal x^2 so you'll have to square root your value for y

Should get 4 values in total
Reply 6
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Solve that

Then your y will equal x^2 so you'll have to square root your value for y

Should get 4 values in total

One of my values is -1, will some answers be imaginary? The solutions for y are -1 and 1/9 so are my answers +1/3, -1/3, i and -i?
Original post by Bunneh
One of my values is -1, will some answers be imaginary? The solutions for y are -1 and 1/9 so are my answers +1/3, -1/3, i and -i?

Indeed
Original post by Bunneh

Yes. You don't need to state the imaginary answers unless this is a Further Maths question.
Reply 9
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Indeed

Thanks so much!

Just checking, is -i acceptable, I haven't done much work on complex numbers so I assumed that there was a negative imaginary spectrum.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
Yes. You don't need to state the imaginary answers unless this is a Further Maths question.

I'm helping a friend but I'm taking Further Maths, so when L'Evil Fish said to root the answers, I just assumed i.
Original post by Bunneh
Thanks so much!

Just checking, is -i acceptable, I haven't done much work on complex numbers so I assumed that there was a negative imaginary spectrum.

As Mr m said. For normal maths, it isn't required. But -i is a value yes.

Quick Reply

Latest