The Student Room Group

Academics but no extra curriculars

Hi there TSR community!

I want to study medicine at one of the London Uni's (or Cambridge) and I am currently in Year 13. I've written (most of) my personal statement and its pretty bad due to the lack of work experience, super curricular activities and extra curricular activities. My academics are fine for medical school but the lack of any real work experience or volunteering means I am at a complete disadvantage. I am looking for work experience and care home even at this late stage but no luck as of yet. So basically what uni's should i apply to with standard academics but poor performance elsewhere.

GCSE's: 9.5 A*s
AS Levels: Bio,Chem, Phys and Maths (93% Average)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A
Work Experience: Year 10 GP (Only Admin). MedView at Kings. (One day clinical (not really) placement at Evelina Children's Hospital)
Extra Curricular: Peer tutoring struggling GCSE Maths students
and basically nothing else
UKCAT: rebooked about 5 times so doing on 29th

Really the only reason I'm applying this year is coz i have the grades and UCAS referee said to. Otherwise I could have taken a gap year gained experience and then applied.

Dream Uni: Imperial / Cambridge

So my question is where should i realistically apply to get a place(I really want to stay in London if I don't go Cambridge) and ANY other UKCAT tips, application tips and is my gap year idea good.

Soz about the long post.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly, how can you have 9.5 A*'s?
Reply 2
Original post by 0mgJohn
Firstly, how can you have 9.5 A*'s?

I did 9 GCSE's full course and got A*'s
I also did a half course GCSE in religious studies and got an A*:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by WhyMedicine?
I did 9 GCSE's full course and got A*'s
I also did a half course GCSE in religious studies and got an A*:smile:

So, of a full two paper, you only took one? :confused::biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by 0mgJohn
So, of a full two paper, you only took one? :confused::biggrin:

Not exactly :tongue:

Its called a short course GCSE not a half course (my bad). Its mainly used by schools to give GCSE's in compulsory subjects. It has half the UCAS points a full course GCSE would give. Hope that clears things up. So basically instead of doing 4 units I did 2 units. They're quite common.
Reply 5
A lot of people bull**** the extra curriculars. I've seen people say they know languages they don't even know a word of. As long as you can cover your tracks, you will get away with it 99% of the time. It is very dishonest but practically every personal statement is a begging letter full of overinflated crap.

You could say you know Spanish conversationally, you play Tennis, play Bridge, how are they going to check it. The system is broken and people lie, what can you do.
Reply 6
Not exactly :tongue:

Its called a short course GCSE not a half course (my bad). Its mainly used by schools to give GCSE's in compulsory subjects. It has half the UCAS points a full course GCSE would give. Hope that clears things up.

Oh, of course! Sorry, in my school we never did those, so I have never really looked at what they award, or how they're done :P

But yeah, I think even if you mentioned any sports teams or outside clubs you attend, that would help. Universities want people with character too, and they might just help prove that :biggrin: (not that I doubt you're not like that, but they only see an application, perhaps with a small interview!)
Reply 7
Original post by queensboy
A lot of people bull**** the extra curriculars. I've seen people say they know languages they don't even know a word of. As long as you can cover your tracks, you will get away with it 99% of the time. It is very dishonest but practically every personal statement is a begging letter full of overinflated crap.

You could say you know Spanish conversationally, you play Tennis, play Bridge, how are they going to check it. The system is broken and people lie, what can you do.

Hmmm

My school seems intent on getting written references or evidence for everything. And my physique isn't great :s-smilie: so lying about a sport might not be a good idea. And about the spanish thing: what happens if theres somebody who knows spanish :confused: in the interview

I did write I do cooking bcoz its not like they're gonna be able to check that without making me cook something. But cooking ain't really something great
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
The extra curriculars are very easy to fake and a lot of people do fake them. It's the grades that can't be faked and will be verified.

The best one I've heard is a guy who wanted to get into dentistry, said he did cake decorating to help his hand skills. So anything inventive is a plus.

Though personally I wouldn't lie, but 99% of the people applying do.
Reply 9
Hmmm

My school seems intent on getting written references or evidence for everything. And my physique isn't great :s-smilie: so lying about a sport might not be a good idea. And about the spanish thing: what happens if theres somebody who knows spanish :confused: in the interview

I did write I do cooking bcoz its not like they're gonna be able to check that without making me cook something. But cooking ain't really something great

If you are smart enough to get 9.5 A*s, you are smart enough to cover your tracks.

That's why people write I know "conversational" spanish and learn some basic spanish. I "play" bridge and they read up the rules for bridge the night before the interview.

It's a big scam, you might as well play along, 99% of the people do.
If you are smart enough to get 9.5 A*s, you are smart enough to cover your tracks.

That's why people write I know "conversational" spanish and learn some basic spanish. I "play" bridge and they read up the rules for bridge the night before the interview.

It's a big scam, you might as well play along, 99% of the people do.

Did it work for u??
Though personally I wouldn't lie, but 99% of the people applying do.

No, they really don't.

And this is medicine. You could get away with lying about playing bridge because it's totally irrelevant to your application. It's going to be much tougher to blag your way through describing 2 weeks work experience in a hospital to experts in the medical field.
Did it work for u??

I personally don't like lying, but trust me, it will work.

The fact every tom, dick and harry will do it, means you kind of have to do it. People are trying to big up whatever they have, so you need to up your personal statement as well.

Everyone applying to medicine that stands a chance will be A/A* students at GCSE with AAAa or AAAb at least.

So it comes down to the personal statement. That and the interview, that is where the deal is sealed. The personal statement needs to be perfect in a way.

No way in hell are you getting into medicine with your grades and saying I do sweet f all for extra curriculars.
Original post by PythianLegume
No, they really don't.

And this is medicine. You could get away with lying about playing bridge because it's totally irrelevant to your application. It's going to be much tougher to blag your way through describing 2 weeks work experience in a hospital to experts in the medical field.

Come on man, personal statements are full of BS. Even if there is truth, it is over exaggerated in every way possible.
I personally don't like lying, but trust me, it will work.

The fact every tom, dick and harry will do it, means you kind of have to do it. People are trying to big up whatever they have, so you need to up your personal statement as well.

Everyone applying to medicine that stands a chance will be A/A* students at GCSE with AAAa or AAAb at least.

So it comes down to the personal statement. That and the interview, that is where the deal is sealed. The personal statement needs to be perfect in a way.

No way in hell are you getting into medicine with your grades and saying I do sweet f all for extra curriculars.

Yh I see ur point but I'm sure many others would disagree about every Tom, Dick and Harry. Although I know many people do like doing some "light exaggeration"
Original post by PythianLegume
No, they really don't.

Nothing is irrelevant.

Saying you play Sport + competitive card games is a plus to any application. Mentioning teams and your participation in competitive tournaments is an even bigger plus.
Yh I see ur point but I'm sure many others would disagree about every Tom, Dick and Harry. Although I know many people do like doing some "light exaggeration"

Everyone will exaggerate. Or twist words. If it means there place, they will do it. It's all about differentiation, everyone has the grades. What makes you the ideal candidate, it's going to come down to the personal statement and interview.
Take a gap year and get some proper experience. This way you can work your arse off this year to get 4A* then apply post-A2; being predicted something and already having it are two very diverse things. If I were you I wouldn't drop a subject.

What makes you look more appealing to an admissions tutor? You currently have no experience but will get some, a few hours a weak or whatever, or you took a gap year and spent months volunteering and getting experience?
Queensboy: just wondering where you study medicine or whats your current situation
Original post by DomStaff
Take a gap year and get some proper experience. This way you can work your arse off this year to get 4A* then apply post-A2; being predicted something and already having it are two very diverse things. If I were you I wouldn't drop a subject.

What makes you look more appealing to an admissions tutor? You currently have no experience but will get some, a few hours a weak or whatever, or you took a gap year and spent months volunteering and getting experience?

Yh the gap yr is what i'm aiming for. But I have been told its not a good idea to do four a levels by many people; never once told its an excellent idea (apart from if im applying to QMUL.) I'm still applying this yr coz i basically have to. I'm scared though of taking a gap year and still not getting in and then my life is basically crap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending