The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Computer Science in Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skulitom
Hey are you from Russia by any chance? just curious since i`m from Russia and it would be nice having someone to talk to in your first language at uni who is in the same course as well.

Да, я из России :smile: Будем знакомы, Василий)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
I have firmed Warwick in G403 as an International student :smile:
I have some questions :
Is Java the only langage taught?
Does Warwick have a module in web technologies langages ?

Thanks
Reply 22
Original post by TheCapn
I have firmed Warwick in G403 as an International student :smile:
I have some questions :
Is Java the only langage taught?
Does Warwick have a module in web technologies langages ?

Thanks

Hi, first year CS student here. We only really do Java in the first year, though we do a tiny bit of C as well. Yes there is an web development module which most people take in which we covered HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery and PHP.
Reply 23
Original post by m00c0w
Hi, first year CS student here. We only really do Java in the first year, though we do a tiny bit of C as well. Yes there is an web development module which most people take in which we covered HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery and PHP.

Thank you for your answers.
Do we acquire a strong level in Java quickly?
Moreover, do you advise me to buy a laptop for the lectures and all the lessons? Or do we use the desktop of the laboratories?
Is there a lot of students who use OS X to code?

Thanks
Reply 24
Original post by TheCapn
Thank you for your answers.
Do we acquire a strong level in Java quickly?
Moreover, do you advise me to buy a laptop for the lectures and all the lessons? Or do we use the desktop of the laboratories?
Is there a lot of students who use OS X to code?

Thanks

No problem :smile:
I had done some Java before I came to university, so it wasn't too hard for me, but some of my friends who had never done any programming before haven't found it that difficult, so in answer to your question, no not really. The first programming module assumes you haven't done any programming before, but if you have, all the better!
I don't have a laptop, and to be honest, I haven't really felt that I needed one. Most people actually just use pen and paper to take notes, though there are of course some that use a laptop. I would advise you to go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. For the labs, everyone uses the desktops. Nearly all of those who do have laptops use OS X, but I would say most people use either Windows, or a Linux distribution (or both, like me!).
Reply 25
Original post by m00c0w
No problem :smile:
I had done some Java before I came to university, so it wasn't too hard for me, but some of my friends who had never done any programming before haven't found it that difficult, so in answer to your question, no not really. The first programming module assumes you haven't done any programming before, but if you have, all the better!
I don't have a laptop, and to be honest, I haven't really felt that I needed one. Most people actually just use pen and paper to take notes, though there are of course some that use a laptop. I would advise you to go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. For the labs, everyone uses the desktops. Nearly all of those who do have laptops use OS X, but I would say most people use either Windows, or a Linux distribution (or both, like me!).

So you have brought a desktop to your accomodation?
Reply 26
Original post by TheCapn
So you have brought a desktop to your accomodation?

Yup, quite a few people are put off by bringing a desktop to uni, but it doesn't bother me having to take it back and forth. Something else that I left out is that in fact the majority of people have latops, but they just don't take them to lectures because they find it easier to use pen and paper.
Reply 27
Original post by m00c0w
Yup, quite a few people are put off by bringing a desktop to uni, but it doesn't bother me having to take it back and forth. Something else that I left out is that in fact the majority of people have latops, but they just don't take them to lectures because they find it easier to use pen and paper.

OK.
So do you personnaly advise me to buy a desktop and to bring it at the university?
Do you have actually the place to put a laptop in your accomodation? (by the way, what's your accomodation ? :smile:
Is there a good atmosphere in the computer science program at warwick?
Reply 28
Original post by TheCapn
OK.
So do you personnaly advise me to buy a desktop and to bring it at the university?
Do you have actually the place to put a laptop in your accomodation? (by the way, what's your accomodation ? :smile:
Is there a good atmosphere in the computer science program at warwick?

The main reason I brought my desktop is so I can game on it. If you don't have a desktop or laptop, I guess I would say go for a laptop for portability (in case you want to work in a different accommodation with friends), but if you want to play games as well, then the obvious choice would be desktop. I'm in Arthur Vick, and there is plenty of space for my desktop.
There is a fantastic atmosphere in the department, great lecturers as well!
Reply 29
Original post by m00c0w
The main reason I brought my desktop is so I can game on it. If you don't have a desktop or laptop, I guess I would say go for a laptop for portability (in case you want to work in a different accommodation with friends), but if you want to play games as well, then the obvious choice would be desktop. I'm in Arthur Vick, and there is plenty of space for my desktop.
There is a fantastic atmosphere in the department, great lecturers as well!

And what about the internet connection?
I think I'm gonna take a laptop because I live in France and it will be easier for me to have a laptop
Reply 30
Original post by TheCapn
And what about the internet connection?
I think I'm gonna take a laptop because I live in France and it will be easier for me to have a laptop

Internet connection is alright in halls at 14 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up, though in the labs you're looking more at around 600Mps down!
Original post by m00c0w

What are the Maths modules like? Really difficult? Does anyone (lecturers/seminar teachers) help you get through it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Thahleel
What are the Maths modules like? Really difficult? Does anyone (lecturers/seminar teachers) help you get through it?

There are two Maths modules: Discrete and Continuous, both of which are 20% coursework (4 problem sheets) and 80% exams. I would imagine most of the Discrete module will be new to you, and quite a lot of people struggled with getting their head around the concepts. However, the lecturer does offer a bonus points system which allows you to gain extra marks that you may have dropped when completing the problem sheets. Fortunately, the lecturer understands that this is probably the hardest module in the first year, and will help you as much as you need, as well as the seminar tutors being there for support.
Having done A2 Further Maths, I had done most of the Continuous module already, so I don't think it was too hard (I'll tell you what I think of it after the exam though), which was quite fortunate as I'll admit the lecturer wasn't fantastic. That being said, I always found she was helpful after lectures if I needed help with anything.
In terms of support, of course you can go to lecturers or seminar tutors for help, and they will be more than willing to help you, but I found I tended to work with friends if any of us didn't understand anything.
Hi! I have also firmed a place at the University of Warwick from Computer Science! I was wondering if everyone here has applied for their accommodation? Does anyone know which accommodations are closer to the computer Science department?
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hi! I have also firmed a place at the University of Warwick from Computer Science! I was wondering if everyone here has applied for their accommodation? Does anyone know which accommodations are closer to the computer Science department?

The light blue is accommodation: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/comms_campusmap-april2015.pdf

Are you conditional/unconditional?
Does anyone know what your chances of getting into a Warwick ( or a university of the same standard ) are without doing Further Maths A-Level. I've just done my GCSE's and being ill over the exam perioid I think I missed my chance of getting an A* at GCSE to do FM at A-Level, however that was my target grade ( so I feel I'm quite confident in maths )...

I'd appreciate any help as for me Warwick would be ideal :smile:
Original post by EricAteYou
Does anyone know what your chances of getting into a Warwick ( or a university of the same standard ) are without doing Further Maths A-Level. I've just done my GCSE's and being ill over the exam perioid I think I missed my chance of getting an A* at GCSE to do FM at A-Level, however that was my target grade ( so I feel I'm quite confident in maths )...

For Computer Science at Warwick, Further Maths is not a requirement, but it is useful to know all that extra maths in advance since it is used in the course (stuff from FP1, S2/3, D2 etc.)
Original post by EricAteYou

Why can you not take further maths without an A* in GCSE maths?
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Why can you not take further maths without an A* in GCSE maths?

At my school it's the requirment :/ Apprently without an A* it's likely you will struggle ( due to ability ).
Original post by Computer Geek
For Computer Science at Warwick, Further Maths is not a requirement, but it is useful to know all that extra maths in advance since it is used in the course (stuff from FP1, S2/3, D2 etc.)

Cool. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest