The Student Room Group

Futher maths in gap year

Hi I got an A* in maths a level and am taking a gap year and wanted to take up futher maths in my time off. I was wondering what modules I would have to do for the AS and what I would need for the complete a level and if doing the complete a level in one year seemed feasible considering I also am travelling for a few months in the year???

Posted from TSR Mobile
AS Level: FP1, {Applied Module A}, {Applied Module B}
A2 Level: FP1, {FP2 / FP3}, {Applied Module A}, {Applied Module B}, {Applied Module C}, {Applied Module D}
Original post by ImNormal
AS Level: FP1, {Applied Module A}, {Applied Module B}
A2 Level: FP1, {FP2 / FP3}, {Applied Module A}, {Applied Module B}, {Applied Module C}, {Applied Module D}

So that would be 7 modules that does sound like a lot doesn't it? Should I stick to doing the AS? How hard are the units?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teddysmith123
So that would be 7 modules that does sound like a lot doesn't it? Should I stick to doing the AS? How hard are the units?

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 modules. You only have to do one of FP2/FP3.
So FP1, FP2 or FP3 and then 4 applied modules.
6 modules. You only have to do one of FP2/FP3.
So FP1, FP2 or FP3 and then 4 applied modules.

Oh ok but I've already done s1 and d1 so do I have to do snother 4 applied modules in addition to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok but I've already done s1 and d1 so do I have to do snother 4 applied modules in addition to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they're part of your normal Maths a level then yes, you will have to do 4 extra.
If they're part of your normal Maths a level then yes, you will have to do 4 extra.

so for AS do I do FP1 S2 and D2

and for A2 do I do the AS modules + Fp2 or FP3 + 3 other 2 other application modules
so for AS do I do FP1 S2 and D2

and for A2 do I do the AS modules + Fp2 or FP3 + 3 other 2 other application modules

You can also do something like FP1, FP4, S2 for AS then FP2, FP3, D2 for A2... you can do more than one further pure if you want to.
Original post by crayolaguy
You can also do something like FP1, FP4, S2 for AS then FP2, FP3, D2 for A2... you can do more than one further pure if you want to.

I thought fp4 was aqa im doing edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right. You can do FP2, FP3 + A2 module as part of your A2 FM. I'd suggest doing another A2 module so it makes it easier to get A* fm
Great idea, congrats on your A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

right sorry i'm doing AQA my bad.
Original post by Mike_123
You're right. You can do FP2, FP3 + A2 module as part of your A2 FM. I'd suggest doing another A2 module so it makes it easier to get A* fm

Do I not also have to take fp1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunnydespair
Great idea, congrats on your A*

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do I not also have to take fp1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes as part of AS FM
Original post by Mike_123
Yes as part of AS FM