The Student Room Group

Feeling left behind as bf/friends go to uni

My boyfriend and friends have all left for uni, whilst I'm repeating a year at school. I've been to visit some of them but I feel very much in the way, not wanted/needed around and like a nuisance. I also feel so left behind, as everyone but me is moving on with their lives. To make it worse I am finding my new year group at school very cold and closed off, whilst yes its 'only a year' (something I've been told so much) i just want to feel less alone, and i don't know what to do.

In short, how can i feel less alone at school, and less in the way at friends unis.

Thanks for reading, please help me!
Without knowing you or your friends it will be difficult for anyone on here to give you a fully accurate answer. However...

In my experience, the best thing to do is move on with your life, and find new friends. Not saying to stop speaking to your old friends, but people and friendships do move on, and your friends are starting a huge new chapter in their lives.

I've been in situations where I've tried desperately clinging to friendships that were clearly 'over' (not that we'd fallen out, just that the friendship had run its natural course), and it's not nice feeling left out/in the way. As I said, the best advice I can give is to move on with your life. Try to make new friends at school, join a gym, join after-school activities. Then when you do start uni (next year, I assume?) you'll have a whole new start :smile:
If you're repeating a year at school the last thing you need is friends. This is a blessing in a sense.
Reply 3
i would agree, but it is very lonely at times such as lunch when i have done all homework, extra work and re done hawks that i don't think are good enough, theres just so much free time :/
Reply 4
Original post by askew116
Without knowing you or your friends it will be difficult for anyone on here to give you a fully accurate answer. However...

In my experience, the best thing to do is move on with your life, and find new friends. Not saying to stop speaking to your old friends, but people and friendships do move on, and your friends are starting a huge new chapter in their lives.

I've been in situations where I've tried desperately clinging to friendships that were clearly 'over' (not that we'd fallen out, just that the friendship had run its natural course), and it's not nice feeling left out/in the way. As I said, the best advice I can give is to move on with your life. Try to make new friends at school, join a gym, join after-school activities. Then when you do start uni (next year, I assume?) you'll have a whole new start :smile:

thanks for the advice i will keep trying to make new friends! i shall try and see if the other friendships go down the well by themselves or if its okay after a month

Quick Reply