The Student Room Group

~| Is Inheritance Tax Immoral? |~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
That arguably means your parents have more of a liquidity problem than being genuinely poor.

Its cos it was bought under the councils right to buy scheme, so it was extremely cheap. But in the last 10 years, prices went crazy.
Original post by Iqbal007
Its cos it was bought under the councils right to buy scheme, so it was extremely cheap. But in the last 10 years, prices went crazy.

Indeed and that's great. But the fact you have an asset worth hundreds of thousands does mean your not poor, its your choice not to access the liquidity it holds.
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed and that's great. But the fact you have an asset worth hundreds of thousands does mean your not poor, its your choice not to access the liquidity it holds.

But thats really unfair.........the whole point of that scheme was so poorer people could own a house.
It doesn't put me in a fair position, unless I do well in the future.
Reply 43
But thats really unfair.........the whole point of that scheme was so poorer people could own a house.
It doesn't put me in a fair position, unless I do well in the future.

That wasn't the point of the scheme...

It puts you in a way more than fair position than someone with parents who do not own property.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Ummmmm....no it isn't.

in the nature of its taxation policy for the average joe............ erm yes it is.

For the nature of the 1% and elite corporations? hell no. But no ones invited to that party.
Original post by Rakas21
Its something that conflicts me.

On the one hand I believe in individual liberty so I don't see why the state should tell me I can't give my children all my money without being bent over for it but at the same time I do believe in meritocracy and even if the parents earnt the money, just as the son is not responsible for the sins of the father, neither should he really gain from the fathers success.

Even pragmatically I'm conflicted. While the economic argument for inheritance taxes could be made simply as those inheriting (given the high threshold) likely having a propensity to save and therefore the economic damage is likely to minimal. At the same time, the fact that private healthcare and education ECT.. Are vastly superior to their state counterparts, could be used as an argument to support full inheritance on the basis that the individual may put that money to much better use than the state, they will not necessarily spend it on meaningless things or save the cash.

Consider that without the free/already-paid-for competitor, private healthcare and education would be vastly more expensive than they are now. Quite apart from raising premiums just because they are in a position to do so, the market would have to bear all the costs now borne by the state: there would be no NHS to farm any remotely difficult operation out to and no state schools to farm out all the poorly connected/stupid/badly behaved kids out to.

Inheritance tax is pretty immoral I think. You do want to tax people's assets and capital more than their spending and income (since assets and capital both entrench inequality and represent money sucked out of the economy) but ideally while they're still alive.
Original post by Rakas21

Well, that was the mendacity of Right to Buy. You can't really gain anything meaningful from it even if you cash out, because all the other houses have gone up in price too. It only works for people with more than one home (great for the idle rich) or people looking to retire abroad (great for state pensions).

Former council tenants also knew the banks wouldn't bugger about, you won't get any second chances or state help if you go into negative equity as you would have with rent arrears. It's a great way to keep people working, afraid and unfree.
Original post by Bill_Gates
in the nature of its taxation policy for the average joe............ erm yes it is.

For the nature of the 1% and elite corporations? hell no. But no ones invited to that party.

Ummmmm, how?
Original post by Quady
That wasn't the point of the scheme...

It puts you in a way more than fair position than someone with parents who do not own property.

Ok found it ...but generally these tenants were those with low incomes.

"The Right to Buy scheme was introduced in 1980 and is designed to help council and housing association tenants in England buy their home at a discount."

"The Right to Buy scheme was introduced in 1980 and is designed to help council and housing association tenants in England buy their home at a discount."

Right to Buy was a way for the Tory government to give social housing a kicking.

You let people buy up council property, forbid local authorities from reinvesting the money into new council housing, then don't worry about the consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50

Sure and the cash for clunkers scheme was to improve the environment :P
It's immoral how low it is. It percentage should be raised and the lower limit should also be lowered
Original post by chazwomaq
Sarcasm detector bleeping?

I think inheritance tax is very moral. I think landed wealth is one of the worst things. Why should your starting position in life be so affected by what your ancestors have done (or inherited themselves)?

Inheritance tax fight against inequality that inevitably builds up over generations (well, most tax does, but inheritances can be huge). Some will always view tax as theft. But if you agree that taxation occurs when money changes hands, why should it be any different when you're talking about down the generations?

Some money should be transferred between generations, but I think the tax should be much more progressive i.e. clobber the very rich.

Actually, inheritance tax only serves to increase the class-divide created through inherited wealth. The upper-classes that have 'old money' are more likely to be able to afford inheritance taxes without having to sell properties, and usually have documents attached to their property (from when it was first bought by their ancestors) protecting it from any such laws. The people generally affected by this type of tax are those of us with parents that have bought property, yet don't have the money to pass down in order to pay the tax that will come with it.

Also, an inheritance is not a bad thing, even for the so-called 'trust fund babies' a 'Made in Chelsea'. It's a person's right to pass their wealth on to their children once they die, and I personally believe it should be a tax-free occurrence; there is nothing moral about charging people for dying.
Original post by AcronymOfHashtag
Actually, inheritance tax only serves to increase the class-divide created through inherited wealth. The upper-classes that have 'old money' are more likely to be able to afford inheritance taxes without having to sell properties, and usually have documents attached to their property (from when it was first bought by their ancestors) protecting it from any such laws. The people generally affected by this type of tax are those of us with parents that have bought property, yet don't have the money to pass down in order to pay the tax that will come with it.

Also, an inheritance is not a bad thing, even for the so-called 'trust fund babies' a 'Made in Chelsea'. It's a person's right to pass their wealth on to their children once they die, and I personally believe it should be a tax-free occurrence; there is nothing moral about charging people for dying.

As already discussed, for the common man there is rarely going to be a NEED to sell an inherited house to be able to afford the tax.
And you aren't taxing somebody for dying, you are taxing somebody for the exchange assets. If you have an issue with the taxing of somebody for the exchange of assets then you fundamentally have an issue with taxation. The person who dies isn't taxed a penny. The person who receives the inherited assets is the one that is taxed.
As already discussed, for the common man there is rarely going to be a NEED to sell an inherited house to be able to afford the tax.
And you aren't taxing somebody for dying, you are taxing somebody for the exchange assets. If you have an issue with the taxing of somebody for the exchange of assets then you fundamentally have an issue with taxation. The person who dies isn't taxed a penny. The person who receives the inherited assets is the one that is taxed.

That may be true in plenty of towns but in the most affluent cities (e.g. London) it is rare to find any property worth less than 325k, with the average cost of housing having already passed the half-million mark. So, on a house valued at 500k, the recipient would be required to find £70,000 in order to legally acquire the property. That's not the kind of spare cash many people have lying around, even in houses worth half a million pounds.

Also, this tax isn't comparable with others, such as income tax, as the circumstances under which it is applied mean it is usually harder for the person affected by it to pay it, as even selling a house is not easy in this market, meaning that the (currently grieving) person may have to take a loss on the value of the house, will have to pay the fees (estate agents, etc.) and will still have to pay a tax on the rate that it is valued at (albeit in some cases, not all as inheritance tax differs in some places, or so I'm told.)

Personally, I have no problem with most taxes, such as income tax or council tax etc., though I would perhaps like a bit more say in where they go (that's another kettle-full.) My problem with inheritance tax is that it requires a recently bereft person paying money to a government, despite the amount of taxes and charges that will have been taxed having already been applied to the property in the deceased's life.
That may be true in plenty of towns but in the most affluent cities (e.g. London) it is rare to find any property worth less than 325k, with the average cost of housing having already passed the half-million mark. So, on a house valued at 500k, the recipient would be required to find £70,000 in order to legally acquire the property. That's not the kind of spare cash many people have lying around, even in houses worth half a million pounds.

And that is the reason why if enough of the inheritance is in property you are able to pay it off over 10 years, as discussed earlier.

Also, this tax isn't comparable with others, such as income tax, as the circumstances under which it is applied mean it is usually harder for the person affected by it to pay it, as even selling a house is not easy in this market, meaning that the (currently grieving) person may have to take a loss on the value of the house, will have to pay the fees (estate agents, etc.) and will still have to pay a tax on the rate that it is valued at (albeit in some cases, not all as inheritance tax differs in some places, or so I'm told.)

And as said above, it can be done over time, and as discussed earlier it shouldn't be that hard, depending on the terms of the 10 year pay back. In fact it should actually be pretty easy to do unless the rules are really arsey.

Personally, I have no problem with most taxes, such as income tax or council tax etc., though I would perhaps like a bit more say in where they go (that's another kettle-full.) My problem with inheritance tax is that it requires a recently bereft person paying money to a government, despite the amount of taxes and charges that will have been taxed having already been applied to the property in the deceased's life.

I would need to do a bit of research first to check some thoughts, but the taxes already paid are largely irrelevant and could be brought up for other matters.
And that is the reason why if enough of the inheritance is in property you are able to pay it off over 10 years, as discussed earlier.

And as said above, it can be done over time, and as discussed earlier it shouldn't be that hard, depending on the terms of the 10 year pay back. In fact it should actually be pretty easy to do unless the rules are really arsey.

I would need to do a bit of research first to check some thoughts, but the taxes already paid are largely irrelevant and could be brought up for other matters.

It's not always a possibility to pay it back over 10 years and, even when it is, it can still be quite a substantial figure. In the hypothetical example I provided it would still be a minimum of 7k a year (not accounting for any interest or 'admin fees', which are daylight robbery in some cases) which is a lot of money. Also remember that many people are not expecting to pay this sort of payment when it happens, in that the death may have been unexpected. Quite often, people in this situation are forced to sell, though they can't always manage to do so in time to meet the payments, and can either end up being forced into taking loans at extortionate rates of interest, or having their parents' house repossessed.

The taxes already paid are as relevant as your comment regarding this being 'just another tax based on the exchange of assets' (apologies for the paraphrasing) if not more-so, as they are all linked to the property, whether direct or indirect. Here's a breakdown:

Average cost of a 2-bed house in London: 514k (for the sake of my mathematical inadequacies I'll round that down to 500)

With that comes estate agent fees (roughly 7-10,000 in total, though it can vary.) These fees will indirectly contribute to taxes, as they're earnings, and so we can say 20% will go to the gov't.

Then there's stamp duty, which is an astounding 4% on properties between 500-1m, so that's another 20k.

Then there's council tax, which can be anything between 1,000 and 3,000 P/A, though not always applicable. However, it's highly unlikely that anybody can manage to buy a house in London for 500k on their own, so for this we'll meet in the middle and say it's at 2k P/A.

So, not including any rates, bills or income taxes other than everything mentioned, a 500k house has already cost the person buying it roughly 30k more in the first year of owning it. Factor in the astronomical interest rates on a mortgage (which will be taxed or, in some cases go directly to the gov't) and the buyer has to find a lot of money to satisfy the demands of buying a place to live. Then, when they're on their deathbed, their children will have to find the 70k (this hypo isn't accounting for inflation, again purely because I'm not great at maths. However, the current London rate of house price inflation is near 20% P/A, which would mean that this person could theoretically buy the house, have it for a year, then die and it would be worth an extra 100k) necessary just to own their family home. That would create an excess total of over 100k on a 500k house before any modifications or bills have been made and paid. It's completely immoral.
It's not always a possibility to pay it back over 10 years and, even when it is, it can still be quite a substantial figure. In the hypothetical example I provided it would still be a minimum of 7k a year (not accounting for any interest or 'admin fees', which are daylight robbery in some cases) which is a lot of money. Also remember that many people are not expecting to pay this sort of payment when it happens, in that the death may have been unexpected. Quite often, people in this situation are forced to sell, though they can't always manage to do so in time to meet the payments, and can either end up being forced into taking loans at extortionate rates of interest, or having their parents' house repossessed.
Except consider this: What are the two most probable housing circumstances upon inheritance? 1) You already own a house; 2) you are renting accommodation.
In case 1 the sale of one of the properties would produce the necessary cash. For case 2 you have 2 options: 2.a, you sell the property, trivially produces the cash; 2.b, move into the inherited property, you then don't have to pay the rent anymore, and the not paying rent frees up the majority of the needed money, bringing the annual contribution extra to a trivially low level.

The taxes already paid are as relevant as your comment regarding this being 'just another tax based on the exchange of assets' (apologies for the paraphrasing) if not more-so, as they are all linked to the property, whether direct or indirect. Here's a breakdown:

Average cost of a 2-bed house in London: 514k (for the sake of my mathematical inadequacies I'll round that down to 500)

With that comes estate agent fees (roughly 7-10,000 in total, though it can vary.) These fees will indirectly contribute to taxes, as they're earnings, and so we can say 20% will go to the gov't.

If you're going to go down this road then 100% of it goes to the government. After all, the other 80% will be then spent, x% going to tax, then that which isn't taken in taxes is spent etc. Additionally, the part that is taxed will then be taxed again when spent by the government and then falls into the above, so you have theoretically infinite tax paid.
Of course, the purchase of the house comes with the business rates further increasing the amount that goes to the government, then the house needed to be built, so people were paid, income was taxed, that which wasn't taxed...(you know how it goes)
Then money had to be spent on the materials to build it, which were taxed, etc...

Then there's stamp duty, which is an astounding 4% on properties between 500-1m, so that's another 20k.

If 4% is astounding then what is income tax, even just the base rate?

Then there's council tax, which can be anything between 1,000 and 3,000 P/A, though not always applicable. However, it's highly unlikely that anybody can manage to buy a house in London for 500k on their own, so for this we'll meet in the middle and say it's at 2k P/A.

Well, for a start, a lot of people can afford to do so, secondly that meeting in the middle is a very poor analysis with very few properties getting the top rate. For reference, the average in London in 2006 was only £1,268 which actually means most homes in London are worth <88k. Alternatively, you can just look up the figure, the hypothetical 500k house would have council tax in the region of 2.5. But then when it comes to the your inheritance of the house, assuming you keep it unoccupied, you don't have to pay a penny and they can go on just paying whatever council tax they already do.

So, not including any rates, bills or income taxes other than everything mentioned, a 500k house has already cost the person buying it roughly 30k more in the first year of owning it. Factor in the astronomical interest rates on a mortgage (which will be taxed or, in some cases go directly to the gov't) and the buyer has to find a lot of money to satisfy the demands of buying a place to live. Then, when they're on their deathbed, their children will have to find the 70k (this hypo isn't accounting for inflation, again purely because I'm not great at maths. However, the current London rate of house price inflation is near 20% P/A, which would mean that this person could theoretically buy the house, have it for a year, then die and it would be worth an extra 100k) necessary just to own their family home. That would create an excess total of over 100k on a 500k house before any modifications or bills have been made and paid. It's completely immoral.

So where exactly has this 30k come from? Is this to keep or sell? If keeping I'm seeing a cost of roughly zero, if selling, that requires a different line of argument in the first place. Also, where exactly is this mortgage coming from? That's rather variable, I would expect that most people who are inheriting a house will be inheriting one without a mortgage, ergo it is a non-issue, you're inheriting the house from the deceased, not buying it. Consequently, the relevance of HPI is questionable, and depends on circumstance, namely whether you're selling the residence or not, and you're still sat with negligible expense and if you move into the residence, effectively a profit over your previous circumstances, not considering the debt from the inheritance tax. Also, unless I'm mistaken, HPI is actually largely irrelevant anyway, the mortage rate doesn't necessarily increase if the house price increases, so if I get a mortgage on a 500k house with a down payment of 20%, even if tomorrow it's worth 1m, I will still only have to pay 400k+the relevant interest; similarly if the price crashed to 100k I would still have to pay the 400k plus interest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Good point, people shouldn't think of it as an inheritance tax, rather think of it as another form of income tax, but really the threshold should be set lower if they're going to have it, after all, it's just another thing that penalises a relatively small number.

Yeah, I think counting is as income tax would be fine. Inheritance tax is actually very generous compared to other taxes as it has such a high threshold.
Original post by Clip
Except that it's not usually those people complaining. In the next decade or so, it will be large numbers of people who owned houses or almost any size or value.

If your parents live in London and die - it is very likely that you won't be able to service the inheritance tax liability. In short - you will have to sell it because you can't afford to inherit your family home.

True, because of house price inflation. But allowing people to inherit these huge assets will only exacerbate inequality and the have and have not system.

Original post by Clip
Uh no. It's £325k.

So if your parents own a semi-detached house in the suburbs worth say £450k, you will have to stump up £50,000 to inherit your childhood home.

Good! So you sell the house and end up with £400k burning your pocket. I don't see the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending