The Student Room Group

when life knocks you down and you cant find a single reason to get up, what do you do

literally feels like the walls are caving in and im becoming smaller and smaller.

Scroll to see replies

You come on TSR.
Do you have a history of depression ? I'm sorry you feel this way. Are you currently studying? What's has changed recently in your life ?
Go for a walk - literally. It will make you feel better.

Go and feed the ducks in the park or take to the hills. There'll be other folk there to chat too and there's nothing like the open spaces to make you feel exhilarated.

Ask your neighbour if their dog would like to go for a walk and throw balls about for him. Lots of people will chat to you. You need a bit of company that's all. Long term get a pet.

Take a funny book to read - go to the library and get one out. The librarian will recommend one.
Listen to OG Maco
Original post by Anonymous
literally feels like the walls are caving in and im becoming smaller and smaller.

You push your self to get up as its better then the alternative. When I'm feeling down I usually go for a run it really helps clear your head. Not saying all my problems go away but I definitely feel more positive after a run. I know you won't believe this right now but things do get better:smile:
Reply 6

Sleep, I sleep. And Dominoes stuffed crust, They're a godsend.
Reply 7
Original post by littleangel9914
You push your self to get up as its better then the alternative. When I'm feeling down I usually go for a run it really helps clear your head. Not saying all my problems go away but I definitely feel more positive after a run. I know you won't believe this right now but things do get better:smile:

Tbh this is what i've been doing in a while. it knocks me down, i get up. it knocks me down, i get back up. I just feel like the past few months of my life have been built on a foundation of a house of cards, and now its all just tumbled.
Tbh this is what i've been doing in a while. it knocks me down, i get up. it knocks me down, i get back up. I just feel like the past few months of my life have been built on a foundation of a house of cards, and now its all just tumbled.

Can you tell us what's wrong? and then we can give you some helpful advice, other than just general advice that you've probably heard before.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)

I don't know what your situation is but there must be at least one good thing in your life right now. Sometimes when a lot of things go wrong we tend to fixate on the negatives overlooking any positive aspects. Even if there isn't your young what happening right now doesn't mean it'll always be like this. Concentrate on the future maybe pick up a new sport/hobby as well as being a distraction you'll meet like minded people.
If the walls are literally caving in, I would suggest laying off the psychedelics for a while :biggrin:
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Listen to OG Maco

Want to rep so bad. :frown:
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
If the walls are literally caving in, I would suggest laying off the psychedelics for a while :biggrin:

once you stray down that path, the path to recovery becomes very long indeed.
Listen to some pac and eminem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhrCc8VCHns
Listen to 'I'm still here' John Rzeznik.

Trust me.
once you stray down that path, the path to recovery becomes very long indeed.

It does indeed; perhaps never-ending for few.
You need to create little situations which cheer you up - buy an ice cream, go riding, hire a bike, visit your local Old Folks Home and chat to people there.

Look for some volunteering - do some weeding for a friend, neighbour. Ask if you can cut the grass.

If it's dark, Go guerilla gardening and plant some flowers. You'll smile every time you pass.

Join a choir, campaign group, drama club.

Obviously we don't know what your particular problems are but everyone has them. You will lose jobs, friends, family in this life. Everyone does. Some people are better at ploughing on and not frightening the horses. This is what need to try and develop too.

Smile to everyone no matter what you're thinking and most will smile back.
Original post by pickup
You need to create little situations which cheer you up - buy an ice cream, go riding, hire a bike, visit your local Old Folks Home and chat to people there.

Look for some volunteering - do some weeding for a friend, neighbour. Ask if you can cut the grass.

If it's dark, Go guerilla gardening and plant some flowers. You'll smile every time you pass.

Join a choir, campaign group, drama club.

Obviously we don't know what your particular problems are but everyone has them. You will lose jobs, friends, family in this life. Everyone does. Some people are better at ploughing on and not frightening the horses. This is what need to try and develop too.

Smile to everyone no matter what you're thinking and most will smile back.

you know Robin Williams said that when you feel this way it's important to reach out to someone, someone will care. I just dont want to bother anyone when there are bigger problems in the world.

Quick Reply