The Student Room Group

Dutch Uni: How did YOU pay your living expenses??

It doesn't look like I can get a loan for the £7600+ living costs.

How on earth did you manage? Are there any loopholes? Or updates on EU policy?

Please, please let me know.

I really want to go over to de Nederland, and Im terrified this might dash all hopes.
Reply 1
Unfortunately I can't help out too much since I am Dutch, and therefore was able to get a study finance from the Dutch government. They have now changed that system to a loan system for Dutch students as well, so I am not sure if you could apply for it there.

This is the website DUO, they do all the study finance in the Netherlands. For what I have quickly scanned internationals are not eligble for finance there unless you have lived in the Netherlands for 5 consecutive years.

What I know of my fellow international students was that they either had a loan in their own country, their parents paid, their parents had a loan in their own country, or they had saved up on before hand and had a side job in the Netherlands.

Hope this helped a little bit :smile:
Reply 2
Look like this page might also be interesting: DUO Limited Funding At the bottom is the part about "Limited Funding", you may apply for a tuition fees loan there if you are a UK/EEA resident according to the webpage.
Original post by ExpatLou
Look like this page might also be interesting: DUO Limited Funding At the bottom is the part about "Limited Funding", you may apply for a tuition fees loan there if you are a UK/EEA resident according to the webpage.

Is it possible to get funding for a masters degree in the Netherlands after having studied a bachelors in the UK. I'm a Dutch national btw
Reply 4
This page on DUO should help you out with that (I'm assuming you can read Dutch being a Dutch national) Een master gaan doen

However, I am not sure if this is still applicable as they are entering the loan system right now, plus I don't know as what they will recognize your previous study. I can only advise to give them a call, and explain your situation and which master you want to do and where you will do it (this also influences the yes or no)
I got a €2K scholarship from my home country. That went into paying the yearly tuition.

My expenses are as follows:

Rent: €360 per month, €3600 per year
Food and random accessories: €40 per week, €2000 per year
Bicycle: €100

And that is me living a very frugal lifestyle.

It's all coming out of my savings.

You are not going to get any money from the Dutch government unless you work in the Netherlands or your parents work in the Netherlands.

Also, don't count on getting a job. First of all you are required to work 50 hours a month to get a DUO grant which is really not possible if you also want to take your studies seriously and secondly you are probably not going to find a job because you don't speak Dutch and even if you did, there is lots of competition for student jobs.
Reply 6
Original post by Black Cat
Is it possible to get funding for a masters degree in the Netherlands after having studied a bachelors in the UK. I'm a Dutch national btw

Does this count if you are you uk national?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply