The Student Room Group

Good personality but not attractive

I've been told by many people that I have a good personality, have a great sense of humor and really friendly but unfortunately I don't have good looks to go with it. Girls have called me ugly before and I rarely get compliments on my looks. Do girls only look for good looking people regardless of how funny/friendly/charismatic they are?

Scroll to see replies

Its important to look at least moderately attractive I have to say. Because anyone can. All you have to do is wear contacts, style your hair a bit, get fit, wear better clothes
...Mum?
Reply 3
Original post by SamTheMan95
...Mum?

You what...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sunnydespair
Its important to look at least moderately attractive I have to say. Because anyone can. All you have to do is wear contacts, style your hair a bit, get fit, wear better clothes

I've tried so hard to improve my appearance for a few months now, such as going to the gym, wearing good clothes and styling my hair but it hasn't done much to my success with girls.

Do I have to resort to girls as ugly as me?
Reply 5
There will be someone who likes you for everything you are. Just a question of waiting for you 2 to meet. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 8472
There will be someone who likes you for everything you are. Just a question of waiting for you 2 to meet. :smile:

But I'm picky. I have these high standards for girls even though I'm not attractive myself. I'm 20 and never had a proper girlfriend before and I feel as I'm getting older I get less chances to find the girl I'll end up being with.
Reply 7
Don't worry too much about how you look. People are way too into appearances.
Original post by Anonymous
I've tried so hard to improve my appearance for a few months now, such as going to the gym, wearing good clothes and styling my hair but it hasn't done much to my success with girls.

After that post, I think you'll have to resort to imaginary partners. If you refuse to settle, why should other girls?
Reply 9
But I'm picky. I have these high standards for girls even though I'm not attractive myself. I'm 20 and never had a proper girlfriend before and I feel as I'm getting older I get less chances to find the girl I'll end up being with.

Lower your standards. Not to the point of "taking any girl" but to the point where you like them and the love can grow rather than starting at the top. :h:
As a 11/10 girl, I can say personality does not matter EVER in relationships.
Contrary to what these people would tell you become it's the truth and the truth is harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're comment 'girls as ugly as me' is quite infuriating. It seems like you've set your standards too high from the start and also look on the outside when it comes to girls.

My friend was quite the same - the guy she envisioned in her mind was someone who was over 6ft, athletic and paid her lots of attention. She's now going out with a guy who is shorter than 6ft, definitely not athletic at all but does pay her the required attention.

Maybe if you improve yourself (like doing your hair etc), the girls will come naturally. Because you will have more confidence in yourself naturally too.
Sorry if this post is harsh...
At least you're not ugly with an uglier personality.

Call it a win & don't let it get you too down. Looks fade and so-forth.
Original post by MorganA07
You're comment 'girls as ugly as me' is quite infuriating. It seems like you've set your standards too high from the start and also look on the outside when it comes to girls.

My friend was quite the same - the guy she envisioned in her mind was someone who was over 6ft, athletic and paid her lots of attention. She's now going out with a guy who is shorter than 6ft, definitely not athletic at all but does pay her the required attention.

Maybe if you improve yourself (like doing your hair etc), the girls will come naturally. Because you will have more confidence in yourself naturally too.
Sorry if this post is harsh...

I need people to be critical of my attitude so I can improve myself. The fact that I've never had a girlfriend is why I'm trying to change my attitude in life. People are telling me not to change myself just for girls but if I keep doing what I'm doing, I'll never find true love.
Original post by missfats
As a 11/10 girl, I can say personality does not matter EVER in relationships.
Contrary to what these people would tell you become it's the truth and the truth is harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

does to me :cookie:
Original post by ChickenMadness
does to me :cookie:

You are ugz aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
You are ugz aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lel.
You just need to chill because offers will come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need people to be critical of my attitude so I can improve myself. The fact that I've never had a girlfriend is why I'm trying to change my attitude in life. People are telling me not to change myself just for girls but if I keep doing what I'm doing, I'll never find true love.

If you want critical, then from your post I can gather that:

You set standards too high - there maybe an average girl right near you who likes you the way you are but cause your standards are high, you won't notice her.
AND
Your confidence is the opposite of high. You don't believe in yourself, so how is someone else supposed to believe in you? Gain some self-esteem and confidence. This is easy cause you can be yourself here - work on what you love to do. Build on that but also get some new interests - new music/films etc is a common interest. Get yourself out more so that you can build confidence talking to not just girls but guys too.

Dress how you want to dress, smell nice, be nice to others. Girls like compliments too - even the small ones. Don't purposely look for a relationship - you will seem desperate (no-one likes desperate!)

Also, you are only 20 years old...humans live for on average 80 years (with medicine). You have 60 years yet - live life to the full...long term relationships are tiring and take a lot of time and effort.

From the average-looking girl (max 7/10! Honest!)
Reply 19
If you want someone beautiful and have high standards, why girls shouldn't have?! If just good personality doesn't do it for you, why should it do for girls?

When you truely understand what true love is, then you will find it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending