The Student Room Group

I am fed up of my family calling me fat

Basically i am 18 and all my life my family have called me fat, especially now just 5 minutes ago. At the moment I weigh 61kg and I am 168cm tall which puts me at average bmi. in addition i have big breasts and big ass and the majority of my weight is located there. Everyone who has seen me naked has complemented my body and i am just fed up. I exercise very often and i am really a very healthy person. it just makes me feel like **** when people tell me i am fat all the time. and its not fair. i have now resorted to making myself throw up after meals because i just want them to stop. because i just want to lose weight and because i am fed up of the mean comments especially from my mom who continuously makes me feel like ****. I just don't know what to do, i don't know how to make them stop. they know how much it upsets me but they carry on and it hurts so much.
Please, please don't make yourself sick. It's horrible that your family would say that to you, especially if they know how much it upsets you. Is there anyone in your family that you're a bit closer to than the others? See if you can speak to them, explicitly outline how much it upsets you and ask them if they would get the others to stop.

Other than that, if you're really having a hard time at home, try talking to someone at school, like a counsellor, or even try phoning one of those helplines where you can just talk to someone about your problems (e.g. Childline, the Samaritans). If you're desperate to lose weight (and personally I'd see this as a last resort), then just go to the gym and do some exercise. You shouldn't have to change yourself to make others happy, though. It's tough to ignore hateful comments, but you just have to learn to be stronger than them.

Hope it turns out okay :smile:
You sound like you have the body that girls crave and would kill for (I certainly would)! Don't lose it by throwing up, just keep being healthy and exercising. I see nothing wrong with you.

Please don't throw up for other people. Pleasing them will only hurt you, who cares about their wrong opinions! It is unhealthy, damages your teeth, stomach and metabolism, gives you dark circles, weak hair, wrinkles..... Please don't do it, stay beautiful hon!

As for your family talk to them, tell them to stop bullying you. Bullying from your own flesh, how horrible. Please tell them. If they do not talk to someone at school about it, they are abusing you! I don't know if they're doing it out of spite or if they think they're just joking around, but it needs to stop. Talk to them today x
Reply 3
Person above is right hunny, it sounds like you have an amazing body that many girls would kill for! Please, please, please don't make yourself sick. I know a fair few people with similar traits to you, big boobs and bum, who struggle to find clothes that flatter rather than make them look frumpy.

Make sure you're dressing for your shape! Baggy clothes on somebody with larger boobs can make it look like they're large all over, same with bottoms!

As for your family, I know it might seem like they know how hurt you are by their comments and carry on anyway, but sometimes people don't realise the real impact they're having unless they're specifically told. I'm sure your mum would be devastated if she found out you were making yourself sick because of things she's been saying!

If you think you're a healthy and good-shaped/sized person, that's all that matters :smile:

Hope you get this sorted soon - doesn't sound much fun :frown:

xx
Why don't you pick on whichever thing they are most insecure about and bang on about it constantly until they get the message?

PS. I don't think exercising all the time matters. Calorie deficit is the bottom line, it violates basic physics for you not to lose fat by consistently consuming fewer calories than you expend. It's much easier to achieve that by eating the right things than it is killing yourself on a treadmill or whatever. Even burning just 100 calories requires a lot of effort and you could avoid that by just not having a spoonful of mayonnaise in a sandwich or whatever. And don't make yourself sick either, you need to be getting some minimum amount of calories each day or you'll just get fatter in the long run (since you'll either start eating properly again or starve to death).
(edited 9 years ago)
A lot of girls would kill to have a body like yours, I certainly would and if your family are dicks enough to call you fat tell them where to go, because you don't need that if it's going to make you ill. Just headbutt the whole lot of them.

But don't change in the slightest, family should be supportive and not critical of your appearance.
Do you know what % body fat you are..? That's the most reliable way to tell if you are fat aside from seeing you.

BMI is a pile of crap, not to mention, what is considered an average BMI is actually fat.

You know the "normal" body fat % for men goes all the way up to 25% which is obese.. Crazy.

A healthy body fat for women is probably around 20-22%.

Edit - Also puking your food out is just stupid and will **** up your body.

If you want to lose weight, start weighing yourself weekly and counting calories every day. Go maybe two weeks, work out your average calories per day. If your weight stays the same you know what your maintenance is. Decrease this by 500kcal a day and see how much you lose. You want to aim for 1-2lbs a week. Also you can eat whatever the hell you like, as long as every calorie is counted and you hit your target.

Of course you don't want to lose too much weight. If my calcs are correct you are 5ft 6" and 134.4 lbs - If you have a small frame that would be fat, but if you had a a big frame it may not be.. need BF% really..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
my percentage body fat is 20% and i have tried speaking to my mom before the problem is she sort of treats me like a kid and says ohh if it bothers you that much then i will stop but then carries on again without any regard for how i feel or i overhear her talking to other people in my family and it just makes me feel so **** literally horrible. i hate it when people have no regard for how i feel. I am one of those people who its really obvious from my face when i am upset and she must see it but continue regardless. it just pisses me off so much.
thankyou for the dieting tips, i am just about to go to uni and start freshers so i will try starting from now to count all of my calorie intake, new place hopefully new start ): hopefully by the time i am back for christmas i won't be fat even in their eyes
Original post by Anonymous
Basically i am 18 and all my life my family have called me fat, especially now just 5 minutes ago. At the moment I weigh 61kg and I am 168cm tall which puts me at average bmi. in addition i have big breasts and big ass and the majority of my weight is located there. Everyone who has seen me naked has complemented my body and i am just fed up. I exercise very often and i am really a very healthy person. it just makes me feel like **** when people tell me i am fat all the time. and its not fair. i have now resorted to making myself throw up after meals because i just want them to stop. because i just want to lose weight and because i am fed up of the mean comments especially from my mom who continuously makes me feel like ****. I just don't know what to do, i don't know how to make them stop. they know how much it upsets me but they carry on and it hurts so much.

can we have pics

how round is your ass...

how flat is your stomach o.O
(edited 9 years ago)
my percentage body fat is 20% and i have tried speaking to my mom before the problem is she sort of treats me like a kid and says ohh if it bothers you that much then i will stop but then carries on again without any regard for how i feel or i overhear her talking to other people in my family and it just makes me feel so **** literally horrible. i hate it when people have no regard for how i feel. I am one of those people who its really obvious from my face when i am upset and she must see it but continue regardless. it just pisses me off so much.
thankyou for the dieting tips, i am just about to go to uni and start freshers so i will try starting from now to count all of my calorie intake, new place hopefully new start ): hopefully by the time i am back for christmas i won't be fat even in their eyes

By the sound of it, you don't need to lose weight.

Just try and deflect the comments.
Original post by tehforum
By the sound of it, you don't need to lose weight.

Just try and deflect the comments.

You know that females are supposed to have higher body fat %s then men right ? Where she's at is possibly quite a good place.... Possibly
Original post by Studyboy157
You know that females are supposed to have higher body fat %s then men right ? Where she's at is possibly quite a good place.... Possibly

I do.

Though if she was actually 20, then she'd be 'toned'.
i don't know i just did it according to my scales at home but i don't think i look like that, i think i look more like the 25 picture but with a smaller waist, i asked my friend who has seen me naked to do it (and she doesn't realise i have weight issues and is always honest with me) by eye and she said i looked like i was about 22 from this picture http://ee85019fd821af767b70-f458b2f4b4b80b1a6f1dc7d41583c151.r97.cf1.rackcdn.com/cartoon-women-and-men-visual-body-fat.jpg so i don't know, i have some muscles but the majority of them are in my arms and legs because i like running and cycling so those tend to be the ones that are worked out
i don't know i just did it according to my scales at home but i don't think i look like that, i think i look more like the 25 picture but with a smaller waist, i asked my friend who has seen me naked to do it (and she doesn't realise i have weight issues and is always honest with me) by eye and she said i looked like i was about 22 from this picture http://ee85019fd821af767b70-f458b2f4b4b80b1a6f1dc7d41583c151.r97.cf1.rackcdn.com/cartoon-women-and-men-visual-body-fat.jpg so i don't know, i have some muscles but the majority of them are in my arms and legs because i like running and cycling so those tend to be the ones that are worked out

If you really are 20-22% body fat you probably don't need to lose weight (although it wouldn't be unhealthy to go lower). Scales are so inaccurate at measuring body fat they are almost useless. You would need a dexa scan or bodpod (cheaper) to know for sure, but if you really want to know what others think post a pic and we will tell you how it is.

You gotta be careful with asking friends / other women whether you're fat, they will usually sugar coat as to not hurt your feelings. Thankfully guys don't have to worry about that as our mates will call us fat if we are.

Seems very odd how your family would call you fat if you aren't - that's just ****ing horrible unless it's true. I mean my mum used to tell me i need to lose weight, but she was right and when she saw me after i'd put on a lot she told me i gotten really fat, which i had. Decided enough was enough and went from 211lbs at 5ft 8" down to 185lbs and falling in two months.

So if you want a definitive answer, go for a bodpod scan or post a front and side pic (be warned though the internet can be very harsh).

Also, i'm curious, is your Mum fat? If so maybe jealousy.. i dunno though family are usually the ones you can trust on these matters unless they are absolute *****.
(edited 9 years ago)

You aren't fat.
Original post by Spetznaaz
If you really are 20-22% body fat you probably don't need to lose weight (although it wouldn't be unhealthy to go lower). Scales are so inaccurate at measuring body fat they are almost useless. You would need a dexa scan or bodpod (cheaper) to know for sure, but if you really want to know what others think post a pic and we will tell you how it is.

You gotta be careful with asking friends / other women whether you're fat, they will usually sugar coat as to not hurt your feelings. Thankfully guys don't have to worry about that as our mates will call us fat if we are.

Seems very odd how your family would call you fat if you aren't - that's just ****ing horrible unless it's true. I mean my mum used to tell me i need to lose weight, but she was right and when she saw me after i'd put on a lot she told me i gotten really fat, which i had. Decided enough was enough and went from 211lbs at 5ft 8" down to 185lbs and falling in two months.

So if you want a definitive answer, go for a bodpod scan or post a front and side pic (be warned though the internet can be very harsh).

Also, i'm curious, is your Mum fat? If so maybe jealousy.. i dunno though family are usually the ones you can trust on these matters unless they are absolute *****.

i know about this but when i have been fatter in the past my friend has told me which is why i think that she would tell me now wouldn't she? i don't know... but my mom i fat like she is not huge but she isn't normal either like she is quite big, like she is quite a bit shorter than me at 154 and she wears like size 16 which is a lot bigger than me (i wear size 8/10 depending on how it fits around breasts and ass), but i don't want to be like crazy thin or have the perfect body i just want to be normal for now and my family make me feel like i am abnormal i dunno, either way i will attempt to lose weight using the calorie counting method and see if it works
Reply 16
Your the only one who suffers. ... not them.. not worth it...besides dont u know that after u either die from throwing up or quit youll just gain weight...your body will lose weight now ...or it seems...but pretty quick after u will just gain weight back ...all of it or more cuz your body is in shock ....get some healthy exercise and eating books....dont put yourself through all that un necessary drama!!!!!

I know how you feel.. In a way! My boyfriend always says I look three months pregnant (okay, I have a small muffin top..) and when it comes to intimacy I am always pushing him away or wearing baggy tops because of how self-conscious he makes me feel. Also, you are NOT fat and do NOT make yourself sick! It really is not good for you, and tell them to stop treating you like dirt. You need confidence in yourself and take no notice of what they say, they are just talking rubbish! (I need to take my own advice as well)
Reply 18
Below is my regime in a nutshell. I find it easy to follow & it keeps me at a healthy & good looking weight. I dont see it as a diet, it’s more of a lifestyle, which is important as diets never last.

Drink plenty of water
Have purechimp super tea once a day
Eat healthily in the week & enjoy treats at the weekend
Pick brown over white for grains
Exercise at least 3 times a week

We all know how to eat healthily it’s just finding a way that works for you. I have found the regime above takes minimal effort.

Quick Reply

Latest