The Student Room Group

The word "Satiated"

Ok, this might seem like a bit of an odd thread title/ subject, but here goes.

I'm a university graduate living at home with my parents. Have a part time job, looking for a grad job etc.

Tonight I was eating a roast dinner with my parents. I finished my meal, went back for seconds, finished that, and, complementing my mother, I said, "I feel properly satiated after those seconds", or something along those lines.I know satiate is perhaps a slightly unusual word, and don't say it often.
But unexpectedly, my mother goes off an a patronising tirade saying "Ohh, it's so inappropriate to use that word, it's usually used in a sexual way etc. etc.". I argued back, saying it could be used any many contexts, but it escalated into a full blown argument about my life situation etc. etc.

I know the definition of the word "Satiate" officially means "Satisfied to the full", which is surely a compliment?! Yes I know it can be INTERPRETED as having sexual connotations, but it's subjective surely?

No trolling please :smile:
Reply 1
I read a lot of nutrition articles and books and that word is used a lot when referring to food. I've actually never seen/heard it used in the context of sex personally!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by LakotaH
I read a lot of nutrition articles and books and that word is used a lot when referring to food. I've actually never seen/heard it used in the context of sex personally!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks for the reply, I knew it wasn't just me!

I know it sounds like a bit of a stupid/ pointless thread. It's just the that fact that I was actually complementing her, and she more or less threw it back in my face by nitpicking my choice of words just pissed me off!
ermm i do not think you complemented your Mother.

my compliments

bear™
Reply 4
It doesn't carry any sexual connotations in my view. I've mostly heard/used it when talking about food.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending