The Student Room Group

Couldn't move in as there was no electricity or gas.

This has all been an absolute disaster and I'm so stressed, would appreciate any advice.
I was suppose to move in yesterday (agency said my contract had to start on a weekday so started on Friday). My dad phoned and asked about electricity as there was none when I viewed it, but they said I could just call up the provider to put my name on it and they'd reconnect it, he was insistent but they said it was nothing to do with them.
I picked up the keys, but when I got there realised that 1) I couldn't even access the electricity meter as it's in the front of the house, nd I only have keys to my flat which has it's own entrance and 2) it's on a prepaid card. We called up British gas (the provider - though the agent couldn't even tell us who the provider was, we had to find out) and they said that the agency should have given us a card. They tried to reset it for us, but then said the previous tenant had left a huge debt so they couldn't reset without evidence if my tenancy from the agency. The agency was closed all weekend and their emergency maintenance guy was a plumber who was clueless and said that it was their responsibility, not his.
I ended up coming home, a 3 hour drive at night (as the maintenance guy could only come at 9pm despite us calling around 2pm). I've gone back and stayed at a hotel today as I have lectures at 8:30 am tomorrow.
I'm so frustrated and disappointed. Does anyone know what my rights are? I've emailed and called the agency, so they'll pick it up on Monday. I expect my 3 days rent plus £100 hotel cost back tbh, if they refuse can I deduct this from my next rent? I really cannot believe they can get away with this.
Reply 1
Go to your Students Union as soon as possible. They will either have a Housing Rep who can advise, or be able to pass you on to someone who can. Your landlord - whoever they are - is in breach of contract. Tell your advisor about the previous tenant's debts as well. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending