The Student Room Group

What do you do when you come across a spider?

I just kill the ****ers, every single time. I'm too scared to capture them and let them outside - I don't even want to see them in my garden. I just really really hate them :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also I know a relative who got beaten by a field spider and his hand got swollen :frown: I ****ing hate them.
Reply 2
I ask my bf to come and get it. He loves them and won't kill them so he'll collect it and puts it outside on the windowsill instead. If he's not in, I just leave it alone and follow it with my eyes until I see it crawl into a hole in the wall or out the window.

I'm worse if there's a bee or wasp in the flat. I'll lock myself in another room until my bf has got rid of it or until he comes back home and removes it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Scream and get someone else to come and kill it.
Reply 4
Original post by Meduza
Also I know a relative who got beaten by a field spider and his hand got swollen :frown: I ****ing hate them.

I thought he turned into spiderman.
smash the **** out of it with a book
run away and get my mum, 100% srs, can't go within 2 metres of a spider
Reply 7
eat it
Catch it, piece of paper and tumbler job, put it outside.

Only taken me 10 years to learn how. Now I feel really superior.
Depends how big it is and how far away it is.

If it's a pretty big one and runs within a metre of me while I am on the toilet, like what happened about a week ago, then I will probably s*** myself. I'd much rather it be a wasp, which funnily enough, can actually hurt me.

If it's not so big or not within touching range then I'm fine with it
Reply 10
Original post by Meduza
I just kill the ****ers, every single time. I'm too scared to capture them and let them outside - I don't even want to see them in my garden. I just really really hate them :frown:

Original post by bertstare
run away and get my mum, 100% srs, can't go within 2 metres of a spider

Original post by pickup
Catch it, piece of paper and tumbler job, put it outside.

Only taken me 10 years to learn how. Now I feel really superior.

Original post by AstroNandos
Depends how big it is and how far away it is.

If it's a pretty big one and runs within a metre of me while I am on the toilet, like what happened about a week ago, then I will probably s*** myself. I'd much rather it be a wasp, which funnily enough, can actually hurt me.

If it's not so big or not within touching range then I'm fine with it

I'm curious; what is it about them that frighten you?
We'll base this on the last spider I encountered...well...last house spider anyway.

So I see a giant spider on the ceiling, initially I think "oh **** no" because I think it's something else, but luckily it was indeed a simple house spider. So what do I do now? I get a my plant sprayer and pump it up, then start firing water near the spider in short bursts to herd it to the other side of the ceiling, where I could stand on a chair and put a plastic takeaway box over it, then slid the lid on. With the spider inside the takeaway tub I confirmed it was a mature male. I then placed a small mealworm in the tub, which after calming down for a minute it proceeded to approach and lunge at. This was a week ago, what is happening now? The spider is in a slightly bigger tub, and has eaten a small cockroach, I say small it was actually over half the size of the spider and it was amusing watching the spider trying to over-power it, but it prevailed.

....so yes, that is what I do...
**** my ****ing balls off.
Reply 13
Kill the bastards. Every time! I like killing flies and the that sort of **** most. I like the satisfaction of catching the illusive ****ers.
Wipe it off and apologise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kka25

I think it's some instinctive reaction that tells you not to go near little things that scuttle about - presumable because in jungles they may kill you? It's the movement definitely.

Some people have a similar reaction to the way cats slink around and in particular the way they rub up against you.

It's not so much straight fear as repulsion /panic. The fact that we know that they are harmless is nothing to do with it.
Original post by kka25

Well what frightens me are the ones like this:
(image from Google images)

I guess it's because I'm not used to seeing ones this big. I'll happily stay in the same room as it, as long as it can't touch me.
If it's not bothering me I'll just leave it. Occasionally if it's on my bed or something or my mum or sister find one then I'll put a plastic cup over it and take it outside :smile:

Edit: Why do so many people here kill them? :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'll chat to it, ask it how its day has been, and ask what it's having for tea.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by pickup
I think it's some instinctive reaction that tells you not to go near little things that scuttle about - presumable because in jungles they may kill you? It's the movement definitely.

Some people have a similar reaction to the way cats slink around and in particular the way they rub up against you.

It's not so much straight fear as repulsion /panic. The fact that we know that they are harmless is nothing to do with it.

I hated seeing cockroaches when I was a child; the very idea it's in the toilet even irked me. One day I got fed-up and just stepped on the bastard! It gave me chills but worth it :tongue: .

Original post by AstroNandos
Well what frightens me are the ones like this:
(image from Google images)

I guess it's because I'm not used to seeing ones this big. I'll happily stay in the same room as it, as long as it can't touch me.

That's a big one!

Quick Reply

Latest