The Student Room Group

How can an international medical graduate practise in the UK

I'm asking this for a friend...

If I study Medicine in Bangladesh and I become a GP, what would I need to do in order to be a GP in the UK?

I looked at the PLAB exam. Med schools in Bangladesh are not on the list of acceptable qualifications but there are test centres in Bangladesh for part one of the PLAB test so that must mean that some people who study in that country are able to practise in the UK right?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
It's better to study medicine in the EU , then your qualification is valid across the EU.

They make you jump through hoops if its from outside the EU, redoing a lot of exams...and that's if you get a visa in the UK to live.
Reply 3
Original post by queensboy
It's better to study medicine in the EU , then your qualification is valid across the EU.

They make you jump through hoops if its from outside the EU, redoing a lot of exams...and that's if you get a visa in the UK to live.

My friend already has a visa to stay here. She is a British citizen, her entire family is here.

She can't afford to study in the EU unless it is Ireland. But if she doesn't even get into Ireland universities then she will go to Bangladesh.

How long would you say it would take her to qualify in this country (UK)? Will she be able to take the PLAB?
Reply 4
Original post by Da Di Doo

If I study Medicine in Bangladesh and I become a GP, what would I need to do in order to be a GP in the UK?

I looked at the PLAB exam. Med schools in Bangladesh are not on the list of acceptable qualifications but there are test centres in Bangladesh for part one of the PLAB test so that must mean that some people who study in that country are able to practise in the UK right?

I've moved this thread to medicine, so you will hopefully get more of a response :smile:
Original post by Da Di Doo

You need to contact the GMC directly and ask. They will have the definitive answer
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by russellwallace
You need to contact the GMC directly and ask. They will have the definitive answer

Ok thank you

Quick Reply