The Student Room Group

Landed an IT job, Databases etc, recommended reading?

So, landed myself an IT job, I've done a fair bit in the past (IT/AV Tech), but this is all a higher level than I'm used to, and I know they'll train me, but I'd like to do a little background first, it's mainly data management and databases, using the following SAS, MS SQL Server, Oracle, ODBC and Active Directory.

Thanks.
Original post by theronkinator
So, landed myself an IT job, I've done a fair bit in the past (IT/AV Tech), but this is all a higher level than I'm used to, and I know they'll train me, but I'd like to do a little background first, it's mainly data management and databases, using the following SAS, MS SQL Server, Oracle, ODBC and Active Directory.

Thanks.

Well, for Databases I would recommend looking at Database Systems Concepts. If you find you're getting on with the book really well then you might want to consider getting practical with some of the work, get yourself a machine that supports VT-x or AMD-v, create yourself a virtual environment where you can supplement a database environment such as SQL. Though I would recommend experimenting with Access, if you haven't already. :smile:
Original post by Binary Freak
Well, for Databases I would recommend looking at Database Systems Concepts. If you find you're getting on with the book really well then you might want to consider getting practical with some of the work, get yourself a machine that supports VT-x or AMD-v, create yourself a virtual environment where you can supplement a database environment such as SQL. Though I would recommend experimenting with Access, if you haven't already. :smile:

Thanks, got the book, will start on it sometime this week, 1200 pages will take some getting on with, might just stick to some of the intro and background stuff as they should train me on the more advanced stuff that they need anyway I think.

I've used basic Access before, but we're talking 10+ years ago and it was really simple stuff. Machine wise, I do have a spare HP Microserver (Athlon II NEO N36L (2 Core, 1.30 GHz 1 MB L2, 15-Watt) machine unused which can do virtualisation, but I'll see how I get on with the book before I get on that.

Thanks again.
Original post by theronkinator
Thanks, got the book, will start on it sometime this week, 1200 pages will take some getting on with, might just stick to some of the intro and background stuff as they should train me on the more advanced stuff that they need anyway I think.

I've used basic Access before, but we're talking 10+ years ago and it was really simple stuff. Machine wise, I do have a spare HP Microserver (Athlon II NEO N36L (2 Core, 1.30 GHz 1 MB L2, 15-Watt) machine unused which can do virtualisation, but I'll see how I get on with the book before I get on that.

Thanks again.

It's fine, it's probably best that you learn the theoretical side of DBMS before you start going towards the practical side.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending