The Student Room Group

What makes abortion so bad?

If someone has an abortion, why is it any different to if the guy had worn a condom in the first place, or if the guy had a ****?

Wouldn't they all result in that specific child (or that specific collection of genes) not being born?

Scroll to see replies

If the guy wore a condom, no human life would have been created - thus no life would have been terminated or killed. Having an abortion is actively terminating human life, which, without good reason, is questionably unethical. It's all good and well for the mother to have full body rights, but not at the expense of another human life that can't defend itself.
Because you're killing your own child? Strong motherly instincts to kill your own child.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reluire
If the guy wore a condom, no human life would have been created - thus no life would have been terminated or killed. Having an abortion is actively terminating human life, which, without good reason, is questionably unethical. It's all good and well for the mother to have full body rights, but not at the expense of another human life that can't defend itself.

But if the guy wore a condom, that specific child would have never been born into this World anyway, that's what I don't understand.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
But if the guy wore a condom, that specific child would have never been born into this World anyway, that's what I don't understand.

That's exactly what I'm saying. In many circumstances, abortions wouldn't have to happen if the right precautions were taken against unwanted pregnancies, i.e. contraception.

Why are the rules different for someone of a very young age though? You can use that same line of thought you're alluding to to justify killing an adult.
Superstition ultimately.
Reply 7

I see what you're getting at. But I think the points being made above - are once conception happens that's when it becomes a 'baby' and that's when people start seeing it as a human rather than a sperm or egg cell. Even if you had sex, it doesn't mean you'll conceive so you're technically throwing away possible future children but a sperm cell(s) on it's own can't do anything so it's not the same as an abortion - if that makes any sense?

If you have the impression that it is like aborting children by wearing a condom - then in effect periods would be like abortions too.
In court they asked me 'How do you feel about abortions for rape victims and victims of abuse?'. I couldn't answer that. Sometimes we don't have the answers to moral questions such as these.

Ask the bigger question. Who said it was wrong to kill in the first place? And don't say 'It's common sense'. If it was common sense we wouldn't need a murder law to stop it from happening.
(edited 9 years ago)
If someone has an abortion, why is it any different to if the guy had worn a condom in the first place, or if the guy had a ****?

Wouldn't they all result in that specific child (or that specific collection of genes) not being born?

You could say this about killing a newborn baby as well...
Original post by ChickenMadness
Because you're killing your own child? Strong motherly instincts to kill your own child.

Spoiler

oh dear.

that's a full grown foetus!

OP - because people are stupid

muh live baby
muh miracle
muh religion
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
oh dear.

that's a full grown foetus!

OP - because people are stupid

muh live baby
muh miracle
muh religion

idd it is.
When does a feotus become a baby?

I have never heard a women say she has lost a feotus no matter how early on it dies.
Even only 8 or 9 weeks along, she will never say she has lost a feotus, she will always say she has lost a baby. Every time.
So I dont know when a feotus becomes a baby, but I suppose a baby becomes a feotus once you decide you dont want it.
Abortion is murder
(edited 9 years ago)

These points might be valid if there was the creation of a "human life", but this simply isn't in this case. A foetus (i.e. a cluster of cells) is a parasite that drains nutrients from the woman and causes her to be less functional and productive. If a woman chooses that she does not want to bear the burden of carrying a foetus within her own body then she should be permitted to abort it. For you to say otherwise is to deny her right to self-ownership. If it was illegal then the woman would simply find another, unprofessional, means of performing the abortion, which could cause physical harm.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
It's wrong because it goes against human nature and the mothers instincts. Also it can cause an increased risk of breast cancer and miscarriages
Original post by fluschia
It's wrong because it goes against human nature

So does flying at high speeds through the air, but we still do that anyway..

'Unnatural' isn't bad it's just new..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fluschia
It's wrong because it goes against human nature and the mothers instincts. Also it can cause an increased risk of breast cancer and miscarriages

There's very little evidence pointing to abortions leading up complications such as miscarriages.

Women have the choice to decide what they want to do. No one else not any of you.
To those who say 'abortion is murder' sort yourselves out for the love of God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't. The vast, vast majority of abortions are carried out relatively early in pregnancies. The foetus doesn't resemble that image. It is a collection of cells, which do not have a personality, an identity, feelings, emotions, the ability to feel pain - anything that makes us human. It is no more wrong for a woman to abort a foetus than it is for a man to "abort" his sperm by masturbating, wearing a condom, or having sex with someone he knows won't become pregnant as a result - but none of these are viewed as murder. The only reason abortion is seen as wrong is because it has been exploited as an issue to disenfranchise women of the right to control their own bodies.
Original post by Green_Pink
It isn't. The vast, vast majority of abortions are carried out relatively early in pregnancies. The foetus doesn't resemble that image. It is a collection of cells, which do not have a personality, an identity, feelings, emotions, the ability to feel pain - anything that makes us human. It is no more wrong for a woman to abort a foetus than it is for a man to "abort" his sperm by masturbating, wearing a condom, or having sex with someone he knows won't become pregnant as a result - but none of these are viewed as murder. The only reason abortion is seen as wrong is because it has been exploited as an issue to disenfranchise women of the right to control their own bodies.

Yes! I couldn't agree more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest