The Student Room Group

IB Biology? Anyone?

I've always gotten around a 70-75% in my IB biology exams (I'm in SL biology). Yes it's the highest grade in my class, because Bio is TOUGH!!! But how do I get more than that?! I wanna get an 80-85% now, kind of wanna improve. :frown:

If you're an IB biology student who gets good grades, I'd appreciate your answer. Thanks!!:smile:
Original post by hermoine_
I've always gotten around a 70-75% in my IB biology exams (I'm in SL biology). Yes it's the highest grade in my class, because Bio is TOUGH!!! But how do I get more than that?! I wanna get an 80-85% now, kind of wanna improve. :frown:

If you're an IB biology student who gets good grades, I'd appreciate your answer. Thanks!!:smile:

Hey,

I don't know if you saw but I replied to your question about this in the Ex-IB student thread :smile:

Hope that advice can help you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I am a HL student so I'm not too sure how much of my syllabus is the same as yours, but hopefully it applies

Haha basically, I see it as a few steps:

1) Practice MCQ alot. You should be aiming for 36 to 38 for MCQ upon 40
2) Practice your DRQs alot too. You should immediately be able to draw inferences from the data, and the graph. It should become something innate
3) Study your content. You can mug up essay outlines from the answer schemes and those help you revise your content nearer to your exams, but you already need to know your content before hand. I should be able to fire any question at you, and you should be able to locate the question in terms of broader topics, and narrow them down according to sub-sections. A very helpful tool is your syllabus outline. IB can only test you within those outlines, so those are your best bet.

Nearer to actual IB, just spend time on the past year papers. You'll be fine haha don't worry. Bio is fun haha, think of everything as a cycle, cause most of it IS a cycle. It helps to visual concepts. For example, if I talk about respiration (I hope this is in your SL syllabus), imagine yourself to be a glucose molecule walking through the cytoplasm and mitochondrion. Imagine yourself being chopped up, and oxidated. Imagine carbon dioxide flying away from you, and eventually imagine you walking through the Electron Transport Chain, where at the end, Oxygen is waiting for you in a car as the final electron acceptor. So now you'll never forget it.

Never.
Reply 3
Original post by CVK Abhiroop
Haha I am a HL student so I'm not too sure how much of my syllabus is the same as yours, but hopefully it applies

Haha basically, I see it as a few steps:

1) Practice MCQ alot. You should be aiming for 36 to 38 for MCQ upon 40
2) Practice your DRQs alot too. You should immediately be able to draw inferences from the data, and the graph. It should become something innate
3) Study your content. You can mug up essay outlines from the answer schemes and those help you revise your content nearer to your exams, but you already need to know your content before hand. I should be able to fire any question at you, and you should be able to locate the question in terms of broader topics, and narrow them down according to sub-sections. A very helpful tool is your syllabus outline. IB can only test you within those outlines, so those are your best bet.

Nearer to actual IB, just spend time on the past year papers. You'll be fine haha don't worry. Bio is fun haha, think of everything as a cycle, cause most of it IS a cycle. It helps to visual concepts. For example, if I talk about respiration (I hope this is in your SL syllabus), imagine yourself to be a glucose molecule walking through the cytoplasm and mitochondrion. Imagine yourself being chopped up, and oxidated. Imagine carbon dioxide flying away from you, and eventually imagine you walking through the Electron Transport Chain, where at the end, Oxygen is waiting for you in a car as the final electron acceptor. So now you'll never forget it.

Never.

Thank you SO much, I found this extremely helpful <3 <33
Thank you SO much, I found this extremely helpful <3 <33

Haha no worries! All the best :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending