The Student Room Group

Have you found a language you are 'in love with'?

This may be a strange question. I've come back from a year in France and my French is pretty good now. However, I have little desire to improve it more as I've experienced France as much as I want to and can converse pretty well in French. I think my French is as good as I ever need or want it to be. So I'm not in love with French, even though my level is good.

I've always enjoyed learning languages at school - I did German A2 and Japanese GCSE, but don't plan to continue those anymore - I'm kind of finished with them and I'm happy with my level in both languages. I'd like to continue learning languages but eventually I want to find one that I love so much that I just have to become bilingual in it. Is anybody 'in love' with a particular language so much that they want to speak it as well as English?
Original post by yabbayabba
This may be a strange question. I've come back from a year in France and my French is pretty good now. However, I have little desire to improve it more as I've experienced France as much as I want to and can converse pretty well in French. I think my French is as good as I ever need or want it to be. So I'm not in love with French, even though my level is good.

I've always enjoyed learning languages at school - I did German A2 and Japanese GCSE, but don't plan to continue those anymore - I'm kind of finished with them and I'm happy with my level in both languages. I'd like to continue learning languages but eventually I want to find one that I love so much that I just have to become bilingual in it. Is anybody 'in love' with a particular language so much that they want to speak it as well as English?

Have you ever read any French poetry or philosophy? French is a language to fall in love with in all fairness.
German is a pretty ugly language as far as I can see.
I think Turkish is a language that sounds beautiful but I can only learn Greek not Turkish due to my heritage hahaha.
French girls do sound incredibly hot tbh.

I find most Chinese dialects to be very cool though.

And Scandinavian languages are pretty badass as well.
I fell in love with Arabic and Persian and study both at uni
Spanish sounds good spoken by both women and men (no homo)

Australian chicks sounds sexy though
Reply 6
Original post by Temporality
Have you ever read any French poetry or philosophy? French is a language to fall in love with in all fairness.
German is a pretty ugly language as far as I can see.
I think Turkish is a language that sounds beautiful but I can only learn Greek not Turkish due to my heritage hahaha.

I study French as part of my degree at uni so I have read French poetry and philosophy. Yeah, it's great an' all but it doesn't motivate me to want to improve my French so much it's as good as my English. I've also spent a year in France, so French definitely isn't the language I'm going to fall in love with - after a year you'd know. Maybe for others but not for me.

By "in love" I don't mean just mean cultural things like poetry and history which you can learn about without ever setting foot in the country. I mean you have to be enthralled by the culture as well as the people, the country, the environment, the food, the music, the men/women etc.
Original post by yabbayabba
I study French as part of my degree at uni so I have read French poetry and philosophy. Yeah, it's great an' all but it doesn't motivate me to want to improve my French so much it's as good as my English. I've also spent a year in France, so French definitely isn't the language I'm going to fall in love with - after a year you'd know. Maybe for others but not for me.

By "in love" I don't mean just mean cultural things like poetry and history which you can learn about without ever setting foot in the country. I mean you have to be enthralled by the culture as well as the people, the country, the environment, the food, the music, the men/women etc.

I know what you mean, if it was meant to be, it would have happened by now with French(!) Honestly it sounds like you're getting into a relationship with a language haha. I personally think French culture is enough to enthrall someone in all the senses you've described in the last sentence - maybe not music though haha. One really cool thing about Germany is everywhere you go there seems to be live jazz music playing . However the language itself is rather brutal sounding in my opinion. Maybe its hard to find a perfect language and you just have to fall knowing its imperfection! Haha.

For me with French, loving the poetry and philosophy was enough to enthrall me but that will be different for different people. Personally once I reached fluency in French that made me want to write a diary in French just because it was such a beautiful language and a new way to express myself.

I can't imagine being truly in love with any language because I am sure there is no perfect language and place. If you find it let me know okay!
Cantonese and Mandarin . :biggrin::cool:
lots haha.

I fell in love with Japanese, Swedish, German and Italian. I'm doing German and Japanese for A2 and did Italian up to GCSE, but still try and work on it in my spare time.
In love with German! After doing an exchange I realized it was the best thing in the world :colondollar:
I love the Japanese language. I like the sound of an Japanese person speaking it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending