The Student Room Group

Current Gappers

Hi guys, I'm currently on my gap year after accepting a deferred offer from York. Is there anyone else who is also on their gap year?

I haven't got anything major planned yet, few bits of work here and there and I might re-sit a few modules next year.

I have been looking at experiences abroad lately and wondered if anyone is in the same boat and would like to go travelling/working abroad.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aibekhsi
Hi guys, I'm currently on my gap year after accepting a deferred offer from York. Is there anyone else who is also on their gap year?

I haven't got anything major planned yet, few bits of work here and there and I might re-sit a few modules next year.

I have been looking at experiences abroad lately and wondered if anyone is in the same boat and would like to go travelling/working abroad.

i'm in the same position as you basically, but got a place at bath for next year. where you thinking of travelling to?
I'm also on a gap year, have a place at Bristol for next year and I'm working. It's a fixed term contract until next August so it works out really nicely. I was considering going travelling to a couple of places but in the end I think it will be too expensive and I won't have that long between finishing work and going to uni. All I have planned other than working is learning to drive.
Reply 3
I'm on a gap year, have a deferred place at Durham, and I've got a 10 week volunteering project in El Salvador coming up soon. If you want to travel/volunteer I'd definitely look at ICS, they are much cheaper than all the other organisations because they're partly government funded.

After that I'll look at getting a job, I really want to do a ski season or maybe Au Pair for a bit, and then I'm looking at Camp America!

What kinds of things are you looking for?
Reply 4
Original post by aroniglenn
i'm in the same position as you basically, but got a place at bath for next year. where you thinking of travelling to?

I have work (here and there) until end of October, and then possibly going to India for a few months to work (I'm British Indian, so India is not really somewhere exciting for me). So basically, from January, I'm free to do anything. I would like to go to either South America or to Australia/New Zealand either to travel or to work or even both.

Original post by mickey27
I'm on a gap year, have a deferred place at Durham, and I've got a 10 week volunteering project in El Salvador coming up soon. If you want to travel/volunteer I'd definitely look at ICS, they are much cheaper than all the other organisations because they're partly government funded.

After that I'll look at getting a job, I really want to do a ski season or maybe Au Pair for a bit, and then I'm looking at Camp America!

What kinds of things are you looking for?

I'll check ICS out, please update me on how El Salvador is. How much did you have to pay?
Reply 5
I'm on a gap year too but after mucking up my AS decided to apply for medicine this year rather than last which sucks as I want to go travelling ASAP.... but because of interviews (if i actually manage to get one) probably wont get to go till May :frown: Are you all going in groups or with a friend?? My friend who is also on a gap year will only be travelling with me for a month or two and I am debating travelling solo, are any of you doing that?!
Reply 6
Original post by g33k3y
I'm on a gap year too but after mucking up my AS decided to apply for medicine this year rather than last which sucks as I want to go travelling ASAP.... but because of interviews (if i actually manage to get one) probably wont get to go till May :frown: Are you all going in groups or with a friend?? My friend who is also on a gap year will only be travelling with me for a month or two and I am debating travelling solo, are any of you doing that?!

I want to go in a group but all my friends have gone to uni this year :frown: I can handle the solo thing as I will meet people along the way, but it's nice to travel with a few friends...any takers? :biggrin:
Reply 7
I have work (here and there) until end of October, and then possibly going to India for a few months to work (I'm British Indian, so India is not really somewhere exciting for me). So basically, from January, I'm free to do anything. I would like to go to either South America or to Australia/New Zealand either to travel or to work or even both.

I'll check ICS out, please update me on how El Salvador is. How much did you have to pay?

I had to pay £1,500 because its means tested on your parents income (if you live at home), so you might only have to pay £800. But it's still pretty good, considering that covers everything, flights, food, pocket money, injections, even train tickets to the selection day! and you can go almost anywhere in the world! although you should get a move on if you want to go in January :-)

Original post by g33k3y

why don't you go travel in Europe for a bit, then you can always come home for an interview? and then go further afield once you've done the interviews? And I (and my parents) would rather I went in a group but none of my gap year friends are up for travelling, so I need to use my powers of persuasion...
I had to pay £1,500 because its means tested on your parents income (if you live at home), so you might only have to pay £800..

That's over one year right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Mohid Khan
That's over one year right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope - its a fundraising target, took me about 2 months to raise. And then the placement lasts 10-12 weeks depending on which organisation you go with
nope - its a fundraising target, took me about 2 months to raise. And then the placement lasts 10-12 weeks depending on which organisation you go with

Which organisation is it? I'm thinking of doing Raleigh International with ICS in Tanzania. My assessment day is next week :smile:
Original post by Starrstruck
Which organisation is it? I'm thinking of doing Raleigh International with ICS in Tanzania. My assessment day is next week :smile:

I'm off with Progressio :smile: but all the organisations are really good, I just wanted to go to a Spanish speaking country. Good luck - my assessment day was really fun so don't worry :smile:
I'm off with Progressio :smile: but all the organisations are really good, I just wanted to go to a Spanish speaking country. Good luck - my assessment day was really fun so don't worry :smile:

Thanks good luck with your placement. My sister also did ICS in Nicaragua and she only knew basic Spanish before she left but had a really good level when she came back so I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly :smile:
Hi guys!

Just wanted to drop in give our two scents in case you were really thinking of doing Camp America during your Gap Years.

Pretty much, working on a summer camp in America is one of the best jobs in the world! It's the chance to meet amazing new people from across the world, be a role model for some brilliant kids, and see some the sites of one of the most incredible countries around. And with Camp America, we make it ridiculously easy to get you there. Once you've applied and gone through the appropriate steps, we do all the hard work of finding you a camp, booking your flights, and then getting you to the camp itself once you've landed in the US. We've been going for over 40 years now, we're the original summer camp experience, and we're the best at what we do.

Visit our website for all the info you need:

www.campamerica.co.uk

If you wanted to find out more about us in person, we're actually currently travelling the length and breadth of the UK for our Camp America Info Sessions, where we have an hours presentation to let you guys know what we do and what you could be getting up to for summer 2015. We also like to hang around at the end to answer any questions you may have.

To see where we'll be and when over the next couple of months, click on this link:

http://www.campamerica.co.uk/events/events/86

Not only do we offer the camp experience, but we also have an Australian programme perfect for Gap Years. It's called Get Australia, and its a package for getting over to Aus to work and travel. We'll cover that in our info sessions, but if you'd like to look in to it more right now, then just click on this link:

www.getaustralia.com

We really hope either of these programmes sounds like something you'd like to fill your Gap Years with, as we can't recommend it enough (this coming from someone who went to camp 3 summers running!)

Thanks!
Reply 14
I want to go in a group but all my friends have gone to uni this year :frown: I can handle the solo thing as I will meet people along the way, but it's nice to travel with a few friends...any takers? :biggrin:

Yeah, this is my problem too :colondollar: Where are you wanting to go?!
Reply 15
I had to pay £1,500 because its means tested on your parents income (if you live at home), so you might only have to pay £800. But it's still pretty good, considering that covers everything, flights, food, pocket money, injections, even train tickets to the selection day! and you can go almost anywhere in the world! although you should get a move on if you want to go in January :-)

why don't you go travel in Europe for a bit, then you can always come home for an interview? and then go further afield once you've done the interviews? And I (and my parents) would rather I went in a group but none of my gap year friends are up for travelling, so I need to use my powers of persuasion...

hopefully I will go May-Aug so 4 months travelling which isn't too bad... I did consider what you said a while ago but decided I am too poor to keep coming to and fro :tongue: Yeah I am in the same situation with friends who are on their gap year but don't want to travel. I have decided they do want to travel, they just don't know it yet! :biggrin: Good luck persuading your friends though!
Original post by g33k3y
hopefully I will go May-Aug so 4 months travelling which isn't too bad... I did consider what you said a while ago but decided I am too poor to keep coming to and fro :tongue: Yeah I am in the same situation with friends who are on their gap year but don't want to travel. I have decided they do want to travel, they just don't know it yet! :biggrin: Good luck persuading your friends though!

Have you tried inter-railing? I've heard of it, and it's pretty cheap for what you get. You could go for just a month :smile: Hahaha, my friends love the idea of travelling, but hate the logistics of it :tongue: Maybe I could organise the dream for them :smile:
Original post by Starrstruck
Thanks good luck with your placement. My sister also did ICS in Nicaragua and she only knew basic Spanish before she left but had a really good level when she came back so I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly :smile:

Which organisation did she go with? and I hope so, my Spanish is okay, I did it to AS, but I'm not sure how I'll fare in a real life situation :redface:

I am and I am bored stiff. All i've done is do AS Maths and study for that, I can't even get a job. I keep praying to myself that I will win on a scratch card so I can get out of here. :s-smilie:
Which organisation did she go with? and I hope so, my Spanish is okay, I did it to AS, but I'm not sure how I'll fare in a real life situation :redface:

Raleigh International. I'm sure that's enough, she'd never studied spanish before but you'll pick it up in 10 weeks, conversing with your host family, the other volunteers in the country and locals you'll meet. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest