The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medicine 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by solarplexus
Ok IDK but is a score of 39/40 sufficient enough?

I would think so esp if you arent overseas candidate, given how it became harder to score that extra 6 points

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Ok IDK but is a score of 39/40 sufficient enough?

Is it possible to even get 39/40 in the new marking system?
Anyone losing 1 mark on the ps last year is probably going to lose 2 marks now if the weighting is doubled.

I think the total scores are going to drop slightly across the board because the scores from the SJT were typically full marks for most candidates, and the personal statement is much more subjectively marked.
Original post by *mimi*
Is it possible to even get 39/40 in the new marking system?
Anyone losing 1 mark on the ps last year is probably going to lose 2 marks now if the weighting is doubled.

I think the total scores are going to drop slightly across the board because the scores from the SJT were typically full marks for most candidates, and the personal statement is much more subjectively marked.

Well that depends on whether they've decided to use last years system (each attribute is 0 or 1) and then just double the PS score or score out of 2. In previous years, each attribute was scored out of 3, so I can see either way happening.

Also, UKCAT octile score is out of 8 in total (both selectors) so you can get 39/40 if you're second octile and 'perfect' otherwise.
Original post by ChordaeTendineae
This is what I'm counting on. The way previous years were scored, there was a very fine line between getting an offer and not. This year with the introduction of octiles and the removal of SJT, we should see a bigger range in scores.
Whether or not this will work to my advantage, well, we'll see in a few months :tongue:

Basically it now depends more on PS which I find really gimmicky and subjective :frown: I applied to Edinburgh because it was grounded mostly on academic / ukcat :frown: (I am one of those who believe medicine should be mostly selected by academic merit not by "writing skills" (PS) like how they do it in Bristol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Does anyone have an idea about ukcat scores needed to be in first and second octiles?

If a score of >2820 is top decile as a national average do you think 2850 would land in the top octile at Edinburgh or are scores going to be skewed higher as applicants with lower scores are put off applying?
Original post by *mimi*
Does anyone have an idea about ukcat scores needed to be in first and second octiles?

If a score of >2820 is top decile as a national average do you think 2850 would land in the top octile at Edinburgh or are scores going to be skewed higher as applicants with lower scores are put off applying?

Definitely skewed higher, 2790 was the average for Edinburgh applicants last yr when the national average was 2600s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by smilepeople
Definitely skewed higher, 2790 was the average for Edinburgh applicants last yr when the national average was 2600s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found this on a freedom of information request just now, which is quite interesting.
Ave applicant 2764
Ave offer holder 3049
Ave applicant 2617
Ave offer holder 2860

The 2013 data should be pretty close to this year's figures I'd have thought.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/233425/response/572381/attach/html/6/Response%20Sutherland.pdf.html
Reply 47
Original post by ChordaeTendineae
This is what I'm counting on. The way previous years were scored, there was a very fine line between getting an offer and not. This year with the introduction of octiles and the removal of SJT, we should see a bigger range in scores.
Whether or not this will work to my advantage, well, we'll see in a few months :tongue:

Last year 38 would have got an offer and 37 a rejection, unless you were a Scottish or EU applicant, in which case 1 point less was enough. It really does balance on a knife edge.
2980 be offer worthy then?
I've emailed Edinburgh and the officer says that the ranges of each octile will be available in November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smilepeople
I've emailed Edinburgh and the officer says that the ranges of each octile will be available in November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok great!!!!!!!!!!! really hope 745 is top or 2nd at least
Reply 51
Just got rejected and not sure why.
My stats:
6.5 A* and 4A GCSEs
AS AAAA
Predicted grades: A*A*A*A
UKCAT 695 (don't think they've even seen that yet though)
PS - the usual - extensive work experience at 2 hospitals plus one afternoon per week in a care home for one year, D of E Gold, Sports Scholar (playing at county and regional level in my top sport), qualified lifeguard and first aider, lots of extra curricular reading etc etc

What did I do wrong??
Original post by jeggy
Just got rejected and not sure why.
My stats:
6.5 A* and 4A GCSEs
AS AAAA
Predicted grades: A*A*A*A
UKCAT 695 (don't think they've even seen that yet though)
PS - the usual - extensive work experience at 2 hospitals plus one afternoon per week in a care home for one year, D of E Gold, Sports Scholar (playing at county and regional level in my top sport), qualified lifeguard and first aider, lots of extra curricular reading etc etc

What did I do wrong??

Either you missed a subject requirement, you applied after the deadline or there's been an error. Only way to find out is to ask for feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Asklepios
Either you missed a subject requirement, you applied after the deadline or there's been an error. Only way to find out is to ask for feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Definitely applied before the deadline so it's not that. And my subjects should be fine - A levels are Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. Will ask for feedback - but it's a pretty demoralising start, to say the least!!
Original post by jeggy
Thanks. Definitely applied before the deadline so it's not that. And my subjects should be fine - A levels are Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. Will ask for feedback - but it's a pretty demoralising start, to say the least!!

Officially,

"Applicants who are late, do not meet the minimum requirements (achieved or predicted) or are otherwise ineligible are rejected at initial screening, and are not entered into the selection pool. (reject before selection) because their applications are (a) below minimum academic standards (RA), (b) of ineligible status (eg qualification type) (RI) or (c) late (RL). From 2005-06 onwards the default academic score (see below) was calculated in the CMVM Admissions office. As a result it was possible to ‘reject’ a proportion of eligible applicants on the basis of low academic score (which, assuming a maximum non-academic score would still not score highly enough to make an offer possible) and thereby reduce the number of applications being sent out to selectors (reject low score or RS). Any applicant not offering a UKCAT score (who does not hold a UKCAT exemption) is also rejected at screening (RU)."

definitely as for feedback though. Seems odd in your case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Selectors Handbook (2362kb) The 2015 entry handbook for those who haven't read it yet :-) Minor changes really.
Original post by jeggy

Give them a call maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesus christ had a look at the selectors handbook regarding non-academic section, really doubting whether I should have applied or not! Scared me sh*tless when I saw "Average’ is considered as average for the cohort."

So roughly would this (in your opinion be good/excellent or average for non-academic achievement). THIS IS STATED IN MY PS AND REFERENCE (Ive bought my reference of UCAS for 10 quid)

I said I got all 3 DofEs complete (submitted all sections in gold but havent got certificate yet but hopefully will do before christmas)
RAF cadets Lance Corporal, gliding programme, night exercises and honour guard at school. (this is what Im relying on).
First aid certificate.
Rugby for my house. LOL but seriusly.
Model United Nations
Student councillor (also quite significant)
MedVets society at school.
Cooking passionately.

Apart from DofE theoretically I don't have many achievements at national, regional or local level?

So are my non-academic achievements good/excellent or average?????????????
Jesus christ had a look at the selectors handbook regarding non-academic section, really doubting whether I should have applied or not! Scared me sh*tless when I saw "Average’ is considered as average for the cohort."

So roughly would this (in your opinion be good/excellent or average for non-academic achievement). THIS IS STATED IN MY PS AND REFERENCE (Ive bought my reference of UCAS for 10 quid)

I said I got all 3 DofEs complete (submitted all sections in gold but havent got certificate yet but hopefully will do before christmas)
RAF cadets Lance Corporal, gliding programme, night exercises and honour guard at school. (this is what Im relying on).
First aid certificate.
Rugby for my house. LOL but seriusly.
Model United Nations
Student councillor (also quite significant)
MedVets society at school.
Cooking passionately.

Apart from DofE theoretically I don't have many achievements at national, regional or local level?

So are my non-academic achievements good/excellent or average?????????????

Everyone's done DofE.

Only Lance Corporal... ? I'm not sure, all my friends were sergeant or above at the time of applying.

What level of first aid? If it's just cpr and stuff, everyone will have it. If you do first aid at events, then that would be ok.

The rest of the things are just past times.

Have you not played sport for your county? Or national orchestra or national competitions and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Everyone's done DofE.

Only Lance Corporal... ? I'm not sure, all my friends were sergeant or above at the time of applying.

What level of first aid? If it's just cpr and stuff, everyone will have it. If you do first aid at events, then that would be ok.

The rest of the things are just past times.

Have you not played sport for your county? Or national orchestra or national competitions and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So its poor-average then? Ive done nothing really for county or nationally..would 37/40 be enough lol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending