Scroll to see replies

Original post by smilepeople
IB Predicted 44 (or 45 not too sure)
UKCAT 755 Band 1
Good PS, talks about research experience and being a national sportsman
But I have not taken GCSE, because I did not follow the British curriculum

Am I at risk due to lack of GCSE ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all, no. While scoring your academics, Edinburgh will look at both your individual HL grades and your overall IB score. GCSEs are irrelevant for IB applicants.

For more info - http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/PoliciesAndProcedures/Undergraduate/Handbook.pdf
Page 39 for IB
Reply 3
Original post by Asklepios
Not at all, no. While scoring your academics, Edinburgh will look at both your individual HL grades and your overall IB score. GCSEs are irrelevant for IB applicants.

For more info - http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/PoliciesAndProcedures/Undergraduate/Handbook.pdf
Page 39 for IB

Oh is it? But I am an international applicant that slims down the chances quite a bit right :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh is it? But I am an international applicant that slims down the chances quite a bit right :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid so. There is a UK-government imposed quota on the number of places for international (non-EU) students - somewhere around 20 for Edinburgh.
Reply 5
Original post by Asklepios
I'm afraid so. There is a UK-government imposed quota on the number of places for international (non-EU) students - somewhere around 20 for Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sigh thanks :[
Is it confirmed that they are not conducting interviews for a100?

They said on the website that they may consider interviewing applicants and will update as soon as possible - but that was published in march 2014 and they have not been any update since then.
Original post by solarplexus

They said on the website that they may consider interviewing applicants and will update as soon as possible - but that was published in march 2014 and they have not been any update since then.

It's confirmed they won't interview for 2015 entry. But they are still considering it for later years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

The thread was closed for a moment so I pm-ed you but it is open again ?? So yeah Edinburgh admissions officer came down to my school and one of the things she told us was that the interview will only be implemented next yr or later so def no interiew for this cycle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
If you have achieved A level grades, do they still look at GCSEs?
Original post by mazzah
If you have achieved A level grades, do they still look at GCSEs?

Yeah they do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Are GCSEs of 5A* 3A and a B still strong enough for Edinb? The rest of my application is pretty strong for their selection process (4 As and 760 UKCAT) but I do wonder whether the people who get offers are pretty much solely those who have 7A*+ at GCSE as well as everything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Are GCSEs of 5A* 3A and a B still strong enough for Edinb? The rest of my application is pretty strong for their selection process (4 As and 760 UKCAT) but I do wonder whether the people who get offers are pretty much solely those who have 7A*+ at GCSE as well as everything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you are indeed at a disadvantage but doesn't mean you cant, esp if you arent an overseas student. You lose 2 pts to begin with but if your PS is strong and predictions are high you will only lose the 2 because your UKCAT is strong, and 18/20 is still decent. But I must say I do know a number of students already with 17 pts in the bag waiting for the 3 pts from PS to be marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Well you are indeed at a disadvantage but doesn't mean you cant, esp if you arent an overseas student. You lose 2 pts to begin with but if your PS is strong and predictions are high you will only lose the 2 because your UKCAT is strong, and 18/20 is still decent. But I must say I do know a number of students already with 17 pts in the bag waiting for the 3 pts from PS to be marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Do you have a link to their scoring procedure? I've seen their medical assessor's handbook pdf which explains which parts of the application they score but not how many points they give.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Thank you! Do you have a link to their scoring procedure? I've seen their medical assessor's handbook pdf which explains which parts of the application they score but not how many points they give.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes move up the thread you will see a link to a pdf document, the scoring system is between pages 30 to 70 depending on the type of your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sat ukcat today and got 745 average band 1 also have 10A* 1A GCSE, 5As at AS and 3A*s achieved; assuming my reference and ps is good.

Stand a chance? How many points could I potentially lose? Ppl got a few points knocked off last year if there UKCAT was not 750 Band 1 or above - anybody know what the octiles are for this year?
I have 9A*s 1A at iGCSE and Predicted 45 (EU National)

Personal Statement - 2 week internship at cancer hospital, 2 week polio internship, 2 years volunteering at home for elderly and disabled, shadowed an anaesthesiologist, paediatrician and endocrinologist (reflected on all of the work experience), head of school's medical society, biology editor of school science magazine, duke of Edinburgh bronze, silver and gold, u19 cricket team, chemistry academic award (3 consecutive years), biology academic ward (2 consecutive years), first place in science olympiad etc.

Assuming that my personal statement and references are good - what sort of a ukcat score would be good enough?
Sat ukcat today and got 745 average band 1 also have 10A* 1A GCSE, 5As at AS and 3A*s achieved; assuming my reference and ps is good.

Stand a chance? How many points could I potentially lose? Ppl got a few points knocked off last year if there UKCAT was not 750 Band 1 or above - anybody know what the octiles are for this year?

The top quartile last yr was 2900, no one knows the octiles yet. You should be either 2nd or top octile, so if assuming each quartile is 0.5, you will at most lose 0.5 pt? Then you have your ps 3 pts which nobody knows. Are you an international student? Otherwise you should stand a good chance. For int student thr always is a risk

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Any graduate on here.?

I am contemplating applying here...but noy sure. I have read there point system thing but here goes. .I know thry like extracruicullar etc but hw do u express all of it?.

MPharm 2.1
Registered 2012.
Pharmacist for 2 years
CEO of a charity
Highers AAAAC
UKCAT 595 (I know its ****)

Work experience
1 wk gastro
1 wk ENT paeds
1 wk Renal paeds
2 days emergency theater for kids
2 days oncall consultant
1 day Day Surgery unit
1 day NHS 24
2 days GP

Voluntary
3 weeks Teenage cancer trust
3 weeks DME
Events organiser
different charities

basically I want to know do I stand a chance at Edinburgh uni ir would it be a water application. ?
Thanks
Reply 19
Hello fellow 'burghers, thought I'd sub.
Profile:
GCSE: 10 A*’s 3 A’s (stars in all core subjects)
AS: AAAA (a)
A2 pred: AAA(a*) (Chem Bio Physics)
UKCAT: 780 avg Band 1 (650 in DA though)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending