The Student Room Group

Course work - Games and media production

Hey I'm on a games design course at college and I need some input for my research from gamers, I'd love if anyone could take the time to reply with a few responses.

1. Are you male or female in gender?

2. What is your favourite game? (if you have multiple put them down when answering below use the first one on the list)

3. What genre is this game mainly?

4. What made you choose that game?

5. If the company that made the game made a sequel (or if they have already) would you buy it (or do you already have it)?

6. What source do you refer to most to find out about new games(if its a social media site who do you read posts/watch videos from most)?

7. Do you only play games like the first one you mentioned if, why?

8. Do you favour multiplayer games in the genre of the first mentioned game more than singleplayer?

9. What makes or breaks a game for you, is it the graphics/gameplay/story ect and what do those represent to you?

10. Does it matter if the game has a detailed backstory. Why?

Thanks for taking your time to post, it's a big help to me.
:beer:

Scroll to see replies

1. Male

2. The Last of Us

3. Action

4. Immense story with all the feels.

5. Without a shadow of doubt

6. PCGamer, ComputerAndVideogames, EuroGamer,

7. Nope. I love a lot of different genres.

8. Nope. I prefer single player.

9. Terrible controls will break a game, as will bugs. All round polish is what really makes a game.

10. Nah, whilst it's nice, I often CBA due to time constraints.
Reply 2
Original post by mikeyd85
1. Male

2. The Last of Us

3. Action

4. Immense story with all the feels.

5. Without a shadow of doubt

6. PCGamer, ComputerAndVideogames, EuroGamer,

7. Nope. I love a lot of different genres.

8. Nope. I prefer single player.

9. Terrible controls will break a game, as will bugs. All round polish is what really makes a game.

10. Nah, whilst it's nice, I often CBA due to time constraints.

Thanks for that, now ive gotta get more people to answer also to get a good result for my research.

You heading to eurogamer this year on the 26th?
Original post by Arkarian
Thanks for that, now ive gotta get more people to answer also to get a good result for my research.

You heading to eurogamer this year on the 26th?

Good luck!

Nah, I wish! It's my work's stock take so I can't be away this weekend :sad:
Reply 4
So it of 100 viewers I got one response? Nice ratio... It will really help if anyone could take some time to help a guy out please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey I'm on a games design course at college and I need some input for my research from gamers, I'd love if anyone could take the time to reply with a few responses.

2. What is your favourite game? (if you have multiple put them down when answering below use the first one on the list)

5. If the company that made the game made a sequel (or if they have already) would you buy it (or do you already have it)?

6. What source do you refer to most to find out about new games(if its a social media site who do you read posts/watch videos from most)?

8. Do you favour multiplayer games in the genre of the first mentioned game more than singleplayer?

9. What makes or breaks a game for you, is it the graphics/gameplay/story ect and what do those represent to you?

Female

Badminton
Basketball
Chess
Carrom
Monopoly

Sport

I was weak at first in it but, as I was determined and interested I learnt the game as my sister taught me to play.

No, I watch it on the television.

Internet. I don't have specific site but, I just search through google.

Yes, I like multiplayer in the first game I mentioned

Learning about new instructions of the game. Graphics play a major part

[FONT="Verdana"]

If it is relevant to the game, then alright. But usually no need of detailed backstory
Reply 6
Admins help plz.

Can I complain to an admin please.
I put this thread in gaming because I was needing gamers to answer and the most recent response is an answer I was avoiding by putting it into the relevant group.
I get it should go into research but then my results would be really limited because I doubt many gamers would go there looking for it to answer it.
I can't put results like the most recent given because they have no relevance with my project. Can I have this reviewed please? Or so I have to remake my survey and ask everyone irl for different answers again because I didn't get correct input because the thread ended up in the wrong forum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Sena5;50579879"]1. Are you male or female in gender?
Female

Badminton
Basketball
Chess
Carrom
Monopoly

Sport

I was weak at first in it but, as I was determined and interested I learnt the game as my sister taught me to play.

No, I watch it on the television.

Internet. I don't have specific site but, I just search through google.

Learning about new instructions of the game. Graphics play a major part

If it is relevant to the game, then alright. But usually no need of detailed backstory

Sorry if I want specific enough I place the original thread in the computers and gaming in the hobbies and interests section to avoid this. I also said it was for gamers in the first paragraph.

When I went onto sequels in my questions you didn't think you were answering it wrong at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
X

1. Female.
2. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Tomb Raider, Dragon Age, Tera Online, Blade and Soul.
3. Action RPG
4. I liked the look of the cover, the reviews I read and the backstory.
5. Yes I would.
6. Normally find out from friends and adverts.
7. I mainly play RPG games, whether it's single person or multiplayer. I like having quests and things to work out.
8. I like both, if it's a console game I prefer single player or only having other players join me when I want, but for MMO gaming I obviously prefer people to play with else it's quite boring and pointless.
9. Gameplay mostly, I prefer lots of quests/challenges but followed closely behind by graphics, if the graphics are really poor then I can't play it.
10. I don't think it matters too much, but it certainly helps to get me into the game and want to play.

Hopefully if I quote some people in you'll get more response.

Original post by Jackoclypse
x

Original post by Queen Cersei
x

Original post by cambo211
x

Original post by Mushi_master
x
(edited 9 years ago)
Admins help plz.

Can I complain to an admin please.
I put this thread in gaming because I was needing gamers to answer and the most recent response is an answer I was avoiding by putting it into the relevant group.
I get it should go into research but then my results would be really limited because I doubt many gamers would go there looking for it to answer it.
I can't put results like the most recent given because they have no relevance with my project. Can I have this reviewed please? Or so I have to remake my survey and ask everyone irl for different answers again because I didn't get correct input because the thread ended up in the wrong forum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Arkarian :smile:

The Media & Research Opportunities forum was created specifically for survey requests and similar threads to be moved to, and is the only place where such threads are permitted on TSR. We can appreciate that there is often a highly relevant forum with an audience to tap into, but unfortunately given the volume of threads like this being posted it can potentially result in subforums becoming clogged up with these threads when it should be a place for discussion. Hopefully that clears things uo a bit :h:

Anyway, as for the survey;

Male

Single player: Far Cry 3. Multiplayer: Halo 3. Current addiction: Hearthstone

Shooter/Shooter/Collectible Card Game (CCG)

*I received a copy of FC3 for review not expecting to think much of it, but instead fell in love! Solid mechanics, beautiful and unpredictable open world, excellent story, generally hooked me more than any other single player experience I can remember.
*Halo 3 is my all time favourite game franchise, and Halo 3 marks the height of the series' quality in my opinion. Plus I had a huge group of friends who would play it, there would routinely be a dozen of us playing on Saturday night either in online matchmaking or in hilarious custom gametypes. Halo 3's heyday is, without a doubt, the most fun I've ever had gaming and the game that truly turned me into a hardcore gamer
*Hearthstone is extremely easy to pick up, has plenty of depth, a big variety of viable playstyles ranging from uber serious to downright silly, and is free!

Yes on all three counts!

Totalbiscuit on Youtube and Edge Magazine in print

No, I play RTS, RPGs, FPS, shooters, platformers, other CCG/TCGs, anything that catches my interest :smile:

Shooters take a lot to capture my interest in single player and tend to have a shorter lifespan- multiplayer is what sustains my interest most of the time

The only core requirement for me is that it has to be consistently fun and rarely frustrating. Good graphics are a bonus but never essential (see minecraft and the fact that I still play GBC games), a good story or canon keeps me hooked on a series (Halo) but isn't essential, but I need to actually enjoy the game, and none of the other bits will be able to keep me around if I'm getting ready to throw my controller at the wall every ten minutes!

No, but it helps!
Reply 10
Thanks both of you for replying, also about the thing with the thread moving I didn't actually know there was a thread like this but I use the phone app so are they going to upgrade it sometime so its useful? I'd probably like recommendations if two areas are similar lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Male

Warcraft 3: reign of chaos, Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, Skyrim, Mount n blade: with fire and sword

Real time strategy

The mods, competitive nature of the mods. Tournaments and cash prizes. Game clans and rivalry

Yes. Hopefully they make one when they're done with world of warcaft

Never thought about this. I mostly find out about them from youtube advertisements. I don't have a preference though, this is just a website I spend a lot of time on and as a consequence end up finding out about most of the new games from there.

No I play games of many genres. Not all of them earn you money though. :smile:

Yes I do prefer multiplayer in RTS games. But wc3 also has a very good storyline in it's singleplayer campaign.

Gameplay, controls, lack of stuff in the game in general. If it's a strategy game that would be lack of possibilities for innovation in your strategies. The opposite of this would be every single person all using the same strategy because it's OP and the only one that works.
In other genres like RPG it would be lack of places to go, lack of in depth characters, lack of npcs, quests.
In FPS it's lack of people playing tbh and lag.

Yes. I like to immerse myself in games and it shows when game developers randomly through things into their game without thinking. It makes the whole game feel unrealistic and not like a cohesive world. It's quite awe inspiring in some games when it feels like a living breathing world with history and in depth characters and cultures.

Thanks for taking your time to post, it's a big help to me. :beer:

Btw OP I'm studying 3D games art in Hertfordshire in a couple of days. PM me if you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Sorry if I want specific enough I place the original thread in the computers and gaming in the hobbies and interests section to avoid this. I also said it was for gamers in the first paragraph.

When I went onto sequels in my questions you didn't think you were answering it wrong at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry if i was wrong. I am not english btw. :sadnod: Forgive me if I was wrong anywhere
Reply 13
Original post by Sena5
sorry if i was wrong. I am not english btw. :sadnod: Forgive me if I was wrong anywhere

Hi, its no problem, the questions I was asking were about video games.
Like the ones on a computer or the xbox ect so I'm asking what video games you play and where you find out about new ones.
Not sports like football or rugby.

What is your main language?
I'm attempting to be a self taught linguist... probably not going to succeed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hi, its no problem, the questions I was asking were about video games.
Like the ones on a computer or the xbox ect so I'm asking what video games you play and where you find out about new ones.
Not sports like football or rugby.

What is your main language?
I'm attempting to be a self taught linguist... probably not going to succeed...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I speak tamil.
Ok, I'll redo the questions and try again.
Reply 15

female

age of speed.

Racing

Competitve game which motivates who wins the first place.

have it already online

6. What source do you refer to most to find out about new games
google.
(if its a social media site who do you read posts/watch videos from most)?

youtube

no. because i like playung diferent games like cooking and hotel games which also interests me.

make- game graphics, game instruction
break- gamestory

No. An overview is more than enough as it would take long to read before to start the game.

Is my english understandable here, now?
I'll quote in some.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
quoted to help OP

Original post by davros
x

Original post by Tomsta
x

Original post by Jack22031994
x

Original post by SassQueen13
x

Original post by ChickenMadness
x

Original post by Andy98
x

Original post by ChrisLay1
x

Original post by glycerin
x

Original post by lauraaaaa
x

Original post by Spairos
x
Reply 17
Original post by Sena5
Is my english understandable here, now?
I'll quote in some.

Thanks yeah that works.

Btw where is that language from then, can't say i've heard it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll have a look at this later and give some answers OP.
Reply 19
Original post by ChrisLay1
I'll have a look at this later and give some answers OP.

Thank you. :smile: Any input helps as long as it's relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest