The Student Room Group

Should I be applying to oxford? Engineering.

I got AABC for my As in maths physics biology and chemistry respectively. I dropped chemistry for A2.
Should I be applying to oxford for Engineering?
I know its a long shot but is there a chance?
I will be predicted A* A* A
Thanks lads.
Reply 1
It would help you a lot if you got A*'s in your GCSE's for the sciences and maths. The biology B won't help you much so i would suggest it may be a bit of a long shot but It's worth applying because I only applied as a joke last year and I got a place and will be going for my first year in a couple of weeks. However, Further Maths would have helped you A LOT and I think It may be compulsory for engineering (it's worth checking). The one thing I would say is when you're applying don't spend too much time fussing over league tables and look for somewhere that you'll enjoy. I say that because I chose the Uni's I applied to because of their rankings and now I am slightly daunted by the prospect of studying at Oxford - it is going to be very intense.
It's only one choice out of five so why not?
Is the course at Oxford what you want to do ?

Think carefully.

Applying for a course you end up hating because it doesn't interest you, and you'd have realised this if you'd thought beyond 'Oxford', isnt a very smart move.
Reply 4
Original post by sytner9
It would help you a lot if you got A*'s in your GCSE's for the sciences and maths. The biology B won't help you much so i would suggest it may be a bit of a long shot but It's worth applying because I only applied as a joke last year and I got a place and will be going for my first year in a couple of weeks. However, Further Maths would have helped you A LOT and I think It may be compulsory for engineering (it's worth checking). The one thing I would say is when you're applying don't spend too much time fussing over league tables and look for somewhere that you'll enjoy. I say that because I chose the Uni's I applied to because of their rankings and now I am slightly daunted by the prospect of studying at Oxford - it is going to be very intense.

Well I did get A and A*s for my maths and and sciences. I also did additional maths which I got an A* in. For one science GCSE, I got a B. I blame this on the fact that I joined year 10 half way through as I moved from another country. The rest I got Bs n one C. I am planning to do further maths now in year 13 to a full A level if I can or at least AS further maths. Do you think I stand a chance of getting an offer? Thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ben60
Well I did get A and A*s for my maths and and sciences. I also did additional maths which I got an A* in. For one science GCSE, I got a B. I blame this on the fact that I joined year 10 half way through as I moved from another country. The rest I got Bs n one C. I am planning to do further maths now in year 13 to a full A level if I can or at least AS further maths. Do you think I stand a chance of getting an offer? Thanks for replying :smile:

It's worth giving it a go. You have five choices and, at least for me, I couldn't find five more realistic choices I would rather go to. Besides the interviews are a really good experience regardless of whether you get in or not. I would say that you shouldn't get too hung up on trying to get into Oxford - obviously try hard at school and try your best at the interviews but you have to be prepared to play the cards you're dealt. What I am trying to say is: try to reach a point mentally where you think "it would be great if I got in but I know that it's especially demanding at Oxford so I am not too fussed because my other choices are good". In short: go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Reply 6
Original post by sytner9
It's worth giving it a go. You have five choices and, at least for me, I couldn't find five more realistic choices I would rather go to. Besides the interviews are a really good experience regardless of whether you get in or not. I would say that you shouldn't get too hung up on trying to get into Oxford - obviously try hard at school and try your best at the interviews but you have to be prepared to play the cards you're dealt. What I am trying to say is: try to reach a point mentally where you think "it would be great if I got in but I know that it's especially demanding at Oxford so I am not too fussed because my other choices are good". In short: go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks a lot! What course are you doing btw? And may I know what grades you got? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Why all the positivity? Unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances, the OP doesn't have a chance at Oxford for Engineering.
Reply 8
Original post by PythianLegume
Why all the positivity? Unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances, the OP doesn't have a chance at Oxford for Engineering.

I like you. You're a realist. Thanks for your opinion. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ben60
Thanks a lot! What course are you doing btw? And may I know what grades you got? :smile:

I'm doing Chemistry. GCSE's: 5 A*'s, 6 A's, 1B and two D's (B in PE and D's in Cultural Studies and RE) AS: Chemistry: A, Physics: A, Maths: A Geography: C. Overall A-level: Chemistry: A*, Physics and Maths A.
Reply 10
Original post by sytner9
I'm doing Chemistry. GCSE's: 5 A*'s, 6 A's, 1B and two D's (B in PE and D's in Cultural Studies and RE) AS: Chemistry: A, Physics: A, Maths: A Geography: C. Overall A-level: Chemistry: A*, Physics and Maths A.

Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest