The Student Room Group

Emma watson delivers speech, HeforShe campaign

"Today, we are launching a campaign called HeForShe. I am reaching out to you before we need your help. We want to end gender inequality and to do this, we need everyone involved. This is the first campaign of its kind at the UN. We want to try to galvanize as many men and boys as possible to be advocates for change and we don't just want to talk about it. We want to try and make sure that it's tangible."

“Men—I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue too.”

“Apparently I am among the ranks of women whose expressions are seen as too strong, too aggressive, isolating, anti-men and, unattractive. Why is the word such an uncomfortable one?”

well I dont find her unattractive :sexface:

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/emma-watson-delivers-stirring-speech-at-u-n-204442194.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11112411/Emma-Watson-Being-a-feminist-doesnt-make-me-man-hating.html

http://uk.eonline.com/news/581276/emma-watson-gives-emotional-powerful-speech-at-u-n-about-gender-inequality-check-out-a-transcript-and-a-video

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tbf you have ironically objectified her and thus demeaned her argument by diverting attention away from her points on ending gender inequality using an example of chauvinism

Or as Rainier Wolfcastle would say, "That's the joke"
I love her.
Emma watson is such an idiot. Somebody should tell her to stfu and continue smiling.
Original post by Marky Mark
Emma watson is such an idiot. Somebody should tell her to stfu and continue smiling.

Why?
Blah blah blah pointless celebrity makes speech blah blah blah your average person still doesn't care.
Reply 6
don't get everyone fascination with her, not even that fit
Reply 7
Right. Where are the UN men's ambassadors? Do you have any idea how many men or young boys are being killed, tortured, enslaved, raped, mutilated , kidnapped around the world every single day ? I don't know. My guess is a lot. But then again, nobody knows. Because nobody gives a flying **** about men.
Original post by Maid Marian
Why?

because this
Original post by Genocidal
Blah blah blah pointless celebrity makes speech blah blah blah your average person still doesn't care.
Reply 9
I think in the UK there is equality mostly. Working IT less so, we hate the HR department and they hate us.
Reply 10
Strange name choice for the campaign? HeForShe. Just perpetuates the whole thing of it being a female rights movement rather than a gender equality one.
Original post by GodAtum
I think in the UK there is equality mostly. Working IT less so, we hate the HR department and they hate us.

mainly because the it nerds don't know how to speak let alone approach a female.

Original post by Prandtl
Strange name choice for the campaign? HeForShe. Just perpetuates the whole thing of it being a female rights movement rather than a gender equality one.

Female is the important sex here. Men are in the passenger seat.
Good on her!
What gender inequality?
I know the person on the left Ban ki Moon. But the who the **** is she?
Original post by obidobi
Right. Where are the UN men's ambassadors? Do you have any idea how many men or young boys are being killed, tortured, enslaved, raped, mutilated , kidnapped around the world every single day ? I don't know. My guess is a lot. But then again, nobody knows. Because nobody gives a flying **** about men.

Okay first, all that speech did was pander to men's need to feel included. The plot of the speech was "men, come to feminism, feel comfortable and important" so we DO care about men.

Second, these things happening to men are because of men... Women aren't in power, women aren't doing this to them. In order for things to improve for everyone we need to change gender stereotypes which is the point of feminism.

Oh and by the way, men control every industry in the world, the occupy almost all executive positions in the media, STEM careers, universities etc so all the world does is validate men and their opinions.

How many gender-related laws and legislation have come through the government recently? Not many. You know what did - taking out the gender consideration for car insurance. All the laws that could be made to serve gender equality and we focused on men paying more for their car insurance. What does that tell you?

Why is it so threatening to you to talk about women's needs and the ways in which women's lives are affected and harmed by sexism? Why is your first response to an initiative for women (though that speech spoke a lot about men) to say "us too! Us too!" How often do YOU focus on promoting women's needs above your own societally? Why do you expect us to put men first, always, even though feminism is movement that is designed to counter the power imbalance that puts women below men?
Original post by joe01223
I know the person on the left Ban ki Moon. But the who the **** is she?

Don't know if troll or srs but Hermoniase from Harry Potter
Reply 17
Would do.
Original post by Genocidal

Original post by Marky Mark
because this

Well may be if the average person wasn't so apathetic we wouldn't need celebrity endorsement to bring attention to the **** that goes on in the world. Come to think of it, if the average person wasn't so apathetic we probably wouldn't have so much **** in the world.
Original post by Gwilym101
Well may be if the average person wasn't so apathetic we wouldn't need celebrity endorsement to bring attention to the **** that goes on in the world. Come to think of it, if the average person wasn't so apathetic we probably wouldn't have so much **** in the world.

They're apathetic because it really doesn't matter to them and their lives. People need to realise that despite what the news says people are only interested in their own lives. They aren't interested in grand crusades elsewhere. Most people just want to be left alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending