The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Lit Remark

Hi guys,

Well i got my remark result back and before the remark i had started with 1 ums mark of an A* (179UMS) and when the remark came back it showed the same mark i got in my poems paper (60 ums~35/54). Usually you should get different mark for English and this suprised me a lot.

Also AQA have a thing called e-AQA where the teachers can see how many marks you got for each individual question and it turned out that in my other english lit paper i got 50/68 but on my results sheet it said i got 48/68. We looked further and It showed that moderation means that some marks made by that particular examiner can go up or down and in my case it l went down by 2.
Is it possible for my school to appeal about the moderation because essentially if AQA didnt drop 2 marks then i would have got an A* and even if they only took 1 mark off i still would have got an A*.
Also they showed the mark for each individual question (out of 30) and on another link showed my SPAG Mark... will they be different marks?
For both questions i got 25/30 and for both SPAG marks i got 4/4

What are my options?
Because i really want that A* as my GCSES were totally different to what i expected.

Thanks for your help :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
The only thing I can see is:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/post-results/enquiries-about-results

Review of moderation (re-moderation)

We will review the original moderation of your school/college marked assessments to make sure the assessment criteria were applied fairly, reliably and consistently.

Please note that work submitted for re-moderation must have been kept under secure conditions and not have been returned to students.

So I believe your school would need to appeal the moderation as a whole and cannot just do it on individual ones. :sad:
Reply 2
Original post by DannyBoyMorrison
Well i got my remark result back and before the remark i had started with 1 ums mark of an A* (179UMS) and when the remark came back it showed the same mark i got in my poems paper (60 ums~35/54). Usually you should get different mark for English and this suprised me a lot.

This is normal. If the original marker was accurate ten the re-mark may change it up or down 1 or 2 but the chances are it will stay the same.

Also AQA have a thing called e-AQA where the teachers can see how many marks you got for each individual question and it turned out that in my other english lit paper i got 50/68 but on my results sheet it said i got 48/68. We looked further and It showed that moderation means that some marks made by that particular examiner can go up or down and in my case it l went down by 2.
Is it possible for my school to appeal about the moderation because essentially if AQA didnt drop 2 marks then i would have got an A* and even if they only took 1 mark off i still would have got an A*.
Also they showed the mark for each individual question (out of 30) and on another link showed my SPAG Mark... will they be different marks?
For both questions i got 25/30 and for both SPAG marks i got 4/4

Too late. I think you are talking about 97101 (or Unit 1). You could have had it re-marked but the deadline was Saturday. The 97101 paper was marked out of 60 and there were another 8 marks for SPAG.
Thanks for replying :smile: but my remark result only came back today so there was no chance for me from knowing my next course of action.
So for the 97101 paper did i get 58/68 or was my SPAG included in my final mark?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 8472
The only thing I can see is:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/post-results/enquiries-about-results

So I believe your school would need to appeal the moderation as a whole and cannot just do it on individual ones. :sad:

Yes i saw that and was a bit confused will talk to my teachers. So would that just mean that the school would have to appeal for that paper?
Reply 5
Thanks for replying :smile: but my remark result only came back today so there was no chance for me from knowing my next course of action.
So for the 97101 paper did i get 58/68 or was my SPAG included in my final mark?

If it's out of 68 then it includes the SPAG.
Reply 6
Yes i saw that and was a bit confused will talk to my teachers. So would that just mean that the school would have to appeal for that paper?

The link given is about re-moderation of controlled assessment (Unit 3) not about a correction factor applied to all of a marker's exam marking. It does not apply in this case.

Your option would have been to pay for a re-mark but you had to do it by 20 September - I know it's frustrating that you didn't get the Unit 2 re-mark back until too late but you either have to get them in immediately in time to get it back by 20 Sep or order both at once (and risk one going up and the other down).
Original post by Compost
The link given is about re-moderation of controlled assessment (Unit 3) not about a correction factor applied to all of a marker's exam marking. It does not apply in this case.

Your option would have been to pay for a re-mark but you had to do it by 20 September - I know it's frustrating that you didn't get the Unit 2 re-mark back until too late but you either have to get them in immediately in time to get it back by 20 Sep or order both at once (and risk one going up and the other down).

ah thanks, anyway i will see what my school does.

Quick Reply

Latest