The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Lonely freshers

I have moved in to my accommodation and I really love it but there's a slight problem.... I'm not racist by any means but all my flat mates minus me are foreign! Not only do they not want to do social things such as go for drinks because it's against their religion but I feel like they've all clicked as they have something in common! I don't know if I am paranoid but certain members are definitely more weary towards me than they are the other flat mates and it's just making it awkward for me! I've managed to befriend some people across the hall but I don't want to be constantly relying on them and having to be out of the loop if plans change!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaneB13
I have moved in to my accommodation and I really love it but there's a slight problem.... I'm not racist by any means but all my flat mates minus me are foreign! Not only do they not want to do social things such as go for drinks because it's against their religion but I feel like they've all clicked as they have something in common! I don't know if I am paranoid but certain members are definitely more weary towards me than they are the other flat mates and it's just making it awkward for me! I've managed to befriend some people across the hall but I don't want to be constantly relying on them and having to be out of the loop if plans change!

I know how you feel! I had one flatmate last year and she was Chinese. Her English wasn't the best and she wouldn't stay in the same room as me for more than about five seconds. At least you have friends across the hall - everyone in my block of flats last year was Chinese! Might be worth getting those friends phone numbers and just asking them to text you if the plans change. :smile:
Don't worry about it too much though. You'll make friends with people in your own course as well as soon as lectures start :biggrin:
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by JaneB13

I didn't really click with all my flatmates in my first year. I ended up making good friends from societies. As long as you get along casually with your flat mates then its fine. You've still got course mates and societies yet. You can make a lot of friends through them, especially societies since you'll be meeting people with common interests.
Reply 3
Thank you both so much! Nice to hear people have had similar experiences
Original post by JaneB13

Hey have you made any friends from your school? The schools will have activities during the week plus peer guiding activities on an evening. Remember your peer guide is always able to help!
Reply 5
The societies fair is Wednesday so hopefully I can meet people there and I'm meeting my peer guide tomorrow :smile: it just seems such a long day when nobody's really interested in talking to you
Original post by JaneB13
The societies fair is Wednesday so hopefully I can meet people there and I'm meeting my peer guide tomorrow :smile: it just seems such a long day when nobody's really interested in talking to you

Hows it going? I hope you feel better.
Original post by JaneB13

Im in a similar position my flat mates all do their own thing and I feel isolated here.
Reply 8
I live off campus, got my own studio and i hardly ever meet anyone. I've been living here for a while, tried to make friends but it didn't work..In lectures everyone already has friends because they met in halls and it's been so hard for me to try and fit in. Maybe there's a problem with me and now i've just simply stopped trying because it's not worth it.
Original post by snookx
I live off campus, got my own studio and i hardly ever meet anyone. I've been living here for a while, tried to make friends but it didn't work..In lectures everyone already has friends because they met in halls and it's been so hard for me to try and fit in. Maybe there's a problem with me and now i've just simply stopped trying because it's not worth it.

Are you at bangor UNI ?
Reply 10
Yeah, i am.
Reply 11
Original post by snookx

Original post by Isabellad-1
Are you at bangor UNI ?

hey guys!!
im at bangor uni too :smile: xxx
Reply 12
It might be worth finding out if there's a possibility of switching rooms - you might be able to get moved to one with people you get on better with.
Reply 13
hey :-)
Reply 14
what are you studying?? :smile: x
Original post by itsszy
what are you studying?? :smile: x
law you?
Reply 16
Original post by Isabellad-1
law you?

psychology
Reply 17
Original post by snookx

Way to get out of this is to strike up conversation with someone who looks friendly while waiting outside a lecture... or join a society full of friendly people! :smile:
All of us in the Assassin's Guild at Bangor are friendly people :smile: We always love new recruits.
Original post by Kaiju
It might be worth finding out if there's a possibility of switching rooms - you might be able to get moved to one with people you get on better with.

That's what I'm doing I'm moving tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest