The Student Room Group

Do you follow the hour per subject per day rule?

My chemistry teacher was going on today about making sure you spend at least an hour a day studying/homework for each subject 5-7 days a week.

I absolutely do not have time to be doing four hours of work every night. I only get 1.45mins of free in a week so most of it has to be at home.

My question is, are new AS students following this rule? And if you're an A2 student, did you follow this in AS or now?

Just intrigued to find out how much other people are doing. Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just started AS, doing Chemistry, Biology (about to change to English language), Maths and Economics. I just do whatever homework I have for that day but nothing extra. Since I'm at a really high performing grammar school, I get about 2 hours of extra work a day on average (could be 4 hours one day and 1 hour the next).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
We were told 5hr/s per subject per week.

And no. I probably should, but considering that I leave home at 7:05 to get to school on time, and get back usually at 4:30... doing another five hours of work at home gives me literally no free time whatsoever. As in, none.
Reply 3
If you want an A yes, even if you think you're smart and get away with less most likely you'll be in for a nasty surprise as I was (its good to not just hear all the sucess stories) and this should be done from DAY 1!

I didnt do this i missed my offers im stressing about things this year, its not pleasant.
Original post by lerjj
We were told 5hr/s per subject per week.

And no. I probably should, but considering that I leave home at 7:05 to get to school on time, and get back usually at 4:30... doing another five hours of work at home gives me literally no free time whatsoever. As in, none.

This is definitely similar to my situation...I leave at 8:00am and get home at 4:15pm (if I'm not doing an extra curricular that day). Also my house is pretty chaotic so I don't tend to get more than 2 or 3 hours free in a day unless I'm working until 10pm (and I can't work late at night, I find it too hard to concentrate)
Not consistently, no. I'd work for as long as it took to do the work set for me. That may have been a couple of hours a week or 10-15 hours a week (for all subjects combined). I didn't really see the value in doing additional work so long as I understood what I was doing and got good results unless it particularly interested me.
I did the homework/coursework that was set to me in free lessons, and then did nothing extra until exam periods.

A-levels aren't that hard, it's just learning how to answer the questions. Don't waste hours and hours learning the textbook from cover to cover because you really only need to know half to get an A.
Reply 7
I've finished A2 and we were also told 5 hours per subject per week. It depends on the subject really, I didn't do that much for maths but I probably did more than that for French and German. Obviously there's no point in creating work that's not helpful just so you fill a recommended time slot, but a lot of people underestimate the amount of hours needed to do well in A levels, even AS. Unfortunately just because you don't want to sacrifice most of your free time to work doesn't mean that it's not necessary to get the grades you need!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh hell no I didn't follow that last year! I just did homework for that week and had very little time other than that. I got ABBC (Maths is my kryptonite it seems!) so I didn't do too badly considering! We got told the 1 hour a night per subject thing too.
This year however I am starting work earlier just to make revision easier come mocks and then about March.

I don't recommend what I've done as I was fortunate to understand almost everything as we went through it in class and did buckle down in the month or so before exams. But 1 hour per day is excessive- more like an hour or two a week outside of homework.
Lol no. I did nowhere near than because I get home at like quarter to 6 from school. On 3 weekdays out of 5, I have like extracurricular stuff that I do. And during AS because I took further maths and epq, I only had like 2 hours of frees in the whole week.

I think I barely did 4 hours of work per week (all subjects included) let alone in a day! I tried to do most of my hw but even that I didn't do regularly.

Obviously this all depends on how easy you find the subjects, how good and productive your teachers are etc. I don't regret doing as much work as I did except I wish I'd done more work during study leave.
I did my homework in frees or at home when I felt like doing it, so I averaged maybe 30 mins after school maybe and longer on the weekends. I never did any extra work until exam time was approaching. I did fine in my AS exams but I think I will work a tad harder this year because last year got a little angsty and I can't be dealing with that level of stress again :laugh:
Reply 11
No I don't time the work I do, I just do all obligatory homework and if I feel I need to go over something again because I didn't quite understand it or I need to write up some notes because they're messy then I'll do that.
[cackles into the depths of hell]
At the beginning of my AS year, I barely put enough hours in to do my homework (normally copied it off a friend, oops). I took a better attitude later in the year where I'd.... just about do my homework. It was only in hardcore revision mode about a month before exams where I'd match my lesson hours to out of school hours.

A2 year, so far I've put in enough to do my homework, read ahead for Biology and put some work into self-teaching Further Maths. It's still nowhere near matching my lesson hours. For the nine hours of teaching I get a fortnight, I try and do about two, maybe three hours out of school?
Have 16 lessons a week, 4 lessons each AS subjects - chemistry, biology, maths and philosophy. Hoping to do 6 hours per subject each week. Today I spent the last 2 hours self teaching maths and doing one more hour now before bed.
I have 80 maths topics to cover before my exam in 280 days, so I'm doing one topic a night and taking it easy so I know everything by the time the exams come around :tongue:
I'll probably give up next week with time as an excuse though
I leave at 8am and come back at about 6pm every day; I literally do not have the time or energy to do more than obligatory homework. I do a little extra work at the weekends, but I'm just so tired. :tongue:
Reply 16
And they say that they want to send people off as all rounded students and not only academically strong.
Such contradiction. lol.

Well my school says to work 45 mins at home per lesson.

I got 4 hours of free per week and I also finish homework in breaks so I don't do much at home.

I sleep in the bus for about 30 mins but I'm still too tired when I get home at 5 to do extra 3 hours....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I leave at 6 am and be back at 6pm (for 3 days).

I rest for an hour.
Then I learn a specific subject that day for 2 hours.
So its 8 -9.30 for homework :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm A2 and for when I did AS I did sod all for the majority of the year.

This is where you ask me about my results; I ended up with AAAB.

So in a nutshell, yes you can live the high life of a sixth former without doing the masses of work. :smile:
Original post by Bethaaaaany
This is definitely similar to my situation...I leave at 8:00am and get home at 4:15pm (if I'm not doing an extra curricular that day). Also my house is pretty chaotic so I don't tend to get more than 2 or 3 hours free in a day unless I'm working until 10pm (and I can't work late at night, I find it too hard to concentrate)

I leave at 7:15 and get back at 5:45 and I still manage to get at least 2 hours of work done so I finish for the day by 8 or 9 depending on how much H/W I have and what topics I do not understand.

Have you tried working late at night or do you just not want to do it because you think you would be tired. When it gets to 9pm i am tired and always have a drink of coke to make me feel alert for one more hour. Work in your free periods if you have the chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply