The Student Room Group

Recommendations for A-levels??

I am in year 11 and will start looking at sixth forms/colleges in about 3 weeks time. I need to decide what A-levels to take, but I do not know what I want to study at UNI so I'm a bit confused. I am defiantly more of an essay, debating type of person rather than a math/science person. I am predicted to pass all of my GCSEs at a high level. I was wondering if there are any subjects that you would not recommend taking and any that you would? thank youuuuuu
Just study whatever you think will interest you. Obvious choices are English, history, philosophy and politics (for example) but really it is your choice.
Hey Ibbie,
If you're more an essay person then history and lit are the two best art-essay based subjects out there. Adjoin them with maths, and a final subject of your choice and your options will look awesome.
Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ByronicHero
Just study whatever you think will interest you. Obvious choices are English, history, philosophy and politics (for example) but really it is your choice.

Thank you for your help I really want to take English and philosophy so I am glad that you recommended them :smile:
Original post by libby_martin
Thank you for your help I really want to take English and philosophy so I am glad that you recommended them :smile:

No problem.

Reply 5
Original post by jake4198
Hey Ibbie,
If you're more an essay person then history and lit are the two best art-essay based subjects out there. Adjoin them with maths, and a final subject of your choice and your options will look awesome.

Thank you for your help! I would like to take English. Would you suggest geography or history considering that I took geography as a GCSE? I am predicted an A* so hopefully I will get it. I know a lot of colleges in my area will only let you take history if you have it as a GCSE. thank you for your help!!:smile:
Reply 6
obvious choices are: english literature (tends to be preferred over english language by the top unis as far as i know), history is always a winner when taken with english. I chose those two with maths and politics, and feel i had a good mix which complimented each other well (maths was a relief tho, wouldnt want to do 4 essay based subjects!).

not really any subjects I'd flag as 'do not take', not without knowing you anyway. Psychology tends to be one that people either love or hate, based on the amount of facts there are to learn. friends tell me law can be quite dry. But this is all subjective! choose what you think you'll enjoy enough to get good grades in!!
Reply 7
Original post by MNem
obvious choices are: english literature (tends to be preferred over english language by the top unis as far as i know), history is always a winner when taken with english. I chose those two with maths and politics, and feel i had a good mix which complimented each other well (maths was a relief tho, wouldnt want to do 4 essay based subjects!).

not really any subjects I'd flag as 'do not take', not without knowing you anyway. Psychology tends to be one that people either love or hate, based on the amount of facts there are to learn. friends tell me law can be quite dry. But this is all subjective! choose what you think you'll enjoy enough to get good grades in!!

Very helpful thank you so much :tongue:
Original post by libby_martin
Thank you for your help! I would like to take English. Would you suggest geography or history considering that I took geography as a GCSE? I am predicted an A* so hopefully I will get it. I know a lot of colleges in my area will only let you take history if you have it as a GCSE. thank you for your help!!:smile:

Geography will be fine. As long as you have English there's no need to worry, and geography is just a desirable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest