The Student Room Group
For Cambridge, your chances are extremely low. Your results are good but unfortunately, an 87% average across your 3 most relevant subjects almost certainly isn't going to cut it - you'd be lucky to even get to interview. However, for Imperial and Durham, I'd say you've got a decent chance. Durham take your UMS (as far as I know) but I doubt they'll be anywhere near as demanding as Cambridge. I don't have any statistics for Durham but I doubt your UMS will be particularly low for them. Imperial don't take your UMS so to them, you'll have AAAA at AS as well as amazing GCSE results. For Durham and Imperial, I would assume it would depend more on your interview (if there is one), any entrance exams (does Imperial use the MAT for computing?) and possibly your personal statement and relevant stuff you've done.

I don't think you've got much to lose by applying to Cambridge, Durham and Imperial as long as you also apply to some 'safer' universities too. I wouldn't get your hopes up for Cambridge because (I'm guessing) you probably won't get to interview, but I think you've probably got a decent chance for Imperial and Durham or at the very least, if you do get rejected, it won't just be your grades.
Thanks for the honest response, that's my worry about Cambridge, however I think if I didn't apply, I would always be wondering "what if". Quite frankly , I don't know whether there are other universities that I would be happy going to. Regarding the interview thing, obviously Cambridge do, Imperial do, however Durham does not.

I am fairly certain that it is only Cambridge who require submission of UMS marks, and this is the only aspect of my Application that I could feel could severely limit me.
Reply 3
If you get an Imperial offer it will be A*AAA. They include every A2 you take, no matter whether it's relevant or not and they definitely consider FM important. You'd have a very good chance at getting offers everywhere except Cambridge, I'd say.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Damask-
If you get an Imperial offer it will be A*AAA. They include every A2 you take, no matter whether it's relevant or not and they definitely consider FM important. You'd have a very good chance at getting offers everywhere except Cambridge, I'd say.

Does that mean that I would actually be putting myself at more risk of not getting into Imperial? Or does that counter with the fact that without Further Maths I could struggle to get an offer in the first place.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tom1011
Does that mean that I would actually be putting myself at more risk of not getting into Imperial? Or does that counter with the fact that without Further Maths I could struggle to get an offer in the first place.

If I were you and you were thinking of dropping down to three subjects to get an A*AA offer (and Imperial have no preference when it comes to 3 vs 4 A2s so 3 is definitely easier) then I would not drop further maths.
asddddddddddddddd
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending