The Student Room Group

EPQ - ??

What is an EPQ?
How are you examined?
I have researched and I think you get to choose what you do right?
Does it equal to an A-level?
Please share anything you know! :smile:
thanks
Reply 1
It's basically a research project on anything. Absolutely anything you want. It can be based on a practical project (such as researching how to build a guitar and then building one, or writing a story, or creating a short animated cartoon), or it can be purely academic. It's equal to half an A-level I believe. You're examined on a number of things- Your planning process, a presentation to an audience, and either on a 5000 word essay OR a practical project with a 1000 word write-up/ essay. You should have a supervisor to help you with everything and give you feedback on your work.

It's great practise for university, I really recommend it! :biggrin:
Original post by CLMcS
It's basically a research project on anything. Absolutely anything you want. It can be based on a practical project (such as researching how to build a guitar and then building one, or writing a story, or creating a short animated cartoon), or it can be purely academic. It's equal to half an A-level I believe. You're examined on a number of things- Your planning process, a presentation to an audience, and either on a 5000 word essay OR a practical project with a 1000 word write-up/ essay. You should have a supervisor to help you with everything and give you feedback on your work.

It's great practise for university, I really recommend it! :biggrin:

Thanks for such an informative reply! :smile:
So if I wanted to do an EPQ in something, would this mean that I would only choose 3 AS levels instead of 4 as the EPQ itself is equivalent to half and A-level? Do universities look up to EPQ's? is it something that will help get in to uni?
I got AAA at as and now doing the EPQ as a fourth for applying to warwicK
Original post by STUDYREVISE
So if I wanted to do an EPQ in something, would this mean that I would only choose 3 AS levels instead of 4 as the EPQ itself is equivalent to half and A-level? Do universities look up to EPQ's? is it something that will help get in to uni?

I would still take a fourth AS level. Some unis, like Warwick, ask for, say, AAA at A level with a separate C or above at AS, so only taking three AS levels wouldn't be enough.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I would still take a fourth AS level. Some unis, like Warwick, ask for, say, AAA at A level with a separate C or above at AS, so only taking three AS levels wouldn't be enough.

University of Manchester (the one I want to go to) doesn't say anything on the website:??
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2014/03571/optometry-3-years-bsc/entry-requirements/
(the course I want to do is optometry)
Epq counts as a fourth as level and its not a requirement because russel group assume you already have one
Reply 7
Original post by STUDYREVISE

No problem :smile: I would keep the four AS levels and have this as an extra thing that looks good, as some universities don't officially take it into account. It shows your interest in the subject and enthusiasm, and ability to plan and complete your own work. It will also give you useful time management/ referencing/ presentation/ research skills, which are all really useful when you start university. It'll boost your UCAS points too, which is always good :smile:

Quick Reply