The Student Room Group

The death of a pet.

Our family dog died a few days ago from a collapsed trachea (wind pipe).
It was completely unexpected, and was made even worse by the fact we were on holiday. Having to give consent to the vet over the phone, hundreds of miles away to put him down was probably one of the toughest decisions we've ever had to make. As you can imagine our holiday was ruined and we've come home two days early.
Our other dog is absolutely heartbroken, as are we. She's running around all over the place looking for him, she's whining and won't settle down. It's awful.
The thought that none of his family were there to be with him when he died honestly tears me apart.
We'd had him from a puppy, he was 8 years old. The lady who was looking after him whilst we were away was taking him on a walk and noticed he was panting incredibly heavily and had a strange cough, she took him to the vet and the rest is I guess history.
I honestly can't stress how sad I am. He was a member of the family and the death is so unexpected, made worse by the fact we weren't with him. As you can imagine on top of our sadness we feel incredible guilt for not being by his side.
It honestly feels as if we've lost a close relative.
I'm not posting this for advice or sympathy or anything of the sorts. I simply want to get it off my chest. I don't know how else to express my sorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very sorry for your loss.
I am also sorry for your loss :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So sorry to hear OP :frown:

I know how you feel, one of my dogs passed away whilst I was on holiday a couple of years ago and I was completely heartbroken. Our other dog was the same because they'd alway been together, which just made it more upsetting - luckily they deal with it a lot better than expected though.

:hugs:
Original post by Baloney
Our family dog died a few days ago from a collapsed trachea (wind pipe).
It was completely unexpected, and was made even worse by the fact we were on holiday. Having to give consent to the vet over the phone, hundreds of miles away to put him down was probably one of the toughest decisions we've ever had to make. As you can imagine our holiday was ruined and we've come home two days early.
Our other dog is absolutely heartbroken, as are we. She's running around all over the place looking for him, she's whining and won't settle down. It's awful.
The thought that none of his family were there to be with him when he died honestly tears me apart.
We'd had him from a puppy, he was 8 years old. The lady who was looking after him whilst we were away was taking him on a walk and noticed he was panting incredibly heavily and had a strange cough, she took him to the vet and the rest is I guess history.
I honestly can't stress how sad I am. He was a member of the family and the death is so unexpected, made worse by the fact we weren't with him. As you can imagine on top of our sadness we feel incredible guilt for not being by his side.
It honestly feels as if we've lost a close relative.
I'm not posting this for advice or sympathy or anything of the sorts. I simply want to get it off my chest. I don't know how else to express my sorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really sorry for your loss.

I generally don't like pets and don't see how someone can be that close to a family member, but reading your story is really sad and has just given me a new way of looking at pets.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Please try not to beat yourself up over not being there, you weren't to know anything was going to happen. You've obviously only lost your dog recently so you will feel lots of different emotions about the situation at the moment but in time it will get easier.

I'm sure your dog had a very happy life and knew that he was loved.
Reply 6
Sorry for your loss. My dog is currently 13/14 years old and we know he hasn't got long left, and its going to tear me apart as we've had him since he was a puppy. The worst is, like you, I dread it happening when I'm at work or not there.
I had to get my bosses dog put down while they were on holiday abroad and it was terrible. I feel so guilty it happened in my care and can only imagine how they felt not even being able to say goodbye to him.
I'm really sorry for your loss. I understand your pain as my rabbit was killed by a fox a few days ago as well.
Reply 8
Sorry for your loss OP, I know the feeling. You'll never forget your dog but things will get much easier in time, just think of happy moments you had :hugs:
Reply 9
Really sorry to hear this :frown:

I lost one of my cats to cancer 7 months ago and it was out the blue. We got told for months he was fine then boom he has terminal cancer. I'm still heartbroken to this day and I miss him and think of him every day. It does get easier as time goes on but you never stop missing them. I'm very attached to my pets, always have been so their death is always very hard for me. My pets are family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest