The Student Room Group

Does it matter what university you go to ?

For NHS courses does it really matter what university you go to, will it affect your employability in the future as almost all of them you do placements in anyways to get first hand clinical experience.
Reply 2
In my opinion it doesn't but employers would pay more attention to how well you did and what class you have got?
Original post by Jumpout
In my opinion it doesn't but employers would pay more attention to how well you did and what class you have got?

Not even this.
Employers want to know have you got the skills to fulfill the job role, can you apply what you learnt in uni to your job and can you do this with confidence.
Not once have I been asked what degree classification I got. Or what uni I attended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on what you study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by deviant182
Not even this.
Employers want to know have you got the skills to fulfill the job role, can you apply what you learnt in uni to your job and can you do this with confidence.
Not once have I been asked what degree classification I got. Or what uni I attended. How do you prove you have

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? :O I'm only starting uni so I don't know much but I know that the uni you went to doesn't really matter and I always thought that classification you got do play a role :/ how do they know then if you have the right skills if they don't take into account your classification if you don't mind me asking? I'm really interested :biggrin:
Original post by Jumpout
Really? :O I'm only starting uni so I don't know much but I know that the uni you went to doesn't really matter and I always thought that classification you got do play a role :/ how do they know then if you have the right skills if they don't take into account your classification if you don't mind me asking? I'm really interested :biggrin:

I've never been asked about academics in job interviews or applications other than whether I hold the appropriate qualification to work as a nurse and have current registration.

Employers are more interested in whether you meet the person specification through how you write your supporting information in your application, how you answer questions in interviews and what your references are like. They know if they accept a newly qualified person fresh from uni they will have met the required criteria to work as a newly qualified practitioner. That's why course are accredited by the NMC/HPC so that the minimum standard is the same across the board.
Reply 7
Original post by moonkatt
I've never been asked about academics in job interviews or applications other than whether I hold the appropriate qualification to work as a nurse and have current registration.

Employers are more interested in whether you meet the person specification through how you write your supporting information in your application, how you answer questions in interviews and what your references are like. They know if they accept a newly qualified person fresh from uni they will have met the required criteria to work as a newly qualified practitioner. That's why course are accredited by the NMC/HPC so that the minimum standard is the same across the board.

Wow! Thank you so much! I never knew this!! I'll keep this in mind in the future. So would a person who has first class not have an advantage at all?! :O thank you!
Original post by Jumpout
Wow! Thank you so much! I never knew this!! I'll keep this in mind in the future. So would a person who has first class not have an advantage at all?! :O thank you!

There's no harm in drawing attention to it in your interviews and application, that's your chance to sell yourself, it's how you go about it that counts :wink:

Quick Reply