The Student Room Group

Writing vs typing notes

Hi, what is everyone's thoughts on writing/typing notes?

From what I know, writing obviously takes longer but you memorise the information better through writing.

However, typing is much quicker and notes are easier to format but you don't memorise those notes as easily.

Is there certain subjects where typing/writing is better than one another?
I would say it's never worth typing, and given this is in the Maths section I would assume this is primarily targeted at maths, for which it is rather awkward to type notes, especially if new to the necessary software. I see no reason to type, the benefits of writing are well documented and actually it's actually quick enough. If through writing your notes are untidy you can always write them out again neater which isn't a bad thing unless you take waaaaay too long doing so.
Reply 2
Original post by Jammy Duel
I would say it's never worth typing, and given this is in the Maths section I would assume this is primarily targeted at maths, for which it is rather awkward to type notes, especially if new to the necessary software. I see no reason to type, the benefits of writing are well documented and actually it's actually quick enough. If through writing your notes are untidy you can always write them out again neater which isn't a bad thing unless you take waaaaay too long doing so.

Alright, thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I was referring to maths in this case.
Reply 3
Typing is probably better for wordy subjects like History. Maths on the other hand has too many symbols and diagrams to be worthwhile.
Original post by Sundrah
Alright, thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I was referring to maths in this case.

Yeah, I would say it's hardly worth the effort of typing, especially when the extra time required to type the latex commands starts stacking up, and to get nice formatting on latex isn't exactly fun either, especially since in the raw text form it's to my knowledge impossible to make it look coherent, which isn't exactly helpful while taking the notes; if somebody wants typed notes for maths I woudl say they should be done in their free time rather than on the fly.
It's a process. I like to write out my note initially, but when reviewing them, write them on the computer; then to print it to go over them. If nothing else, at least I have a spare copy just in case I lose the notes originally.

I'm a history student, but yes, I can appreciate the difficulty in typing notes for math.

* [Although websites like this do help: http://math.typeit.org/ and http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php]
I'd love to be able to type up my maths notes as I'm forever losing the ones I've written, but as stated, it's a long process. I've now given up with writing notes and am just planning to photocopy and highlight anything important, as my textbooks go through the process anyway. Also going to do summary sheets nearer to the exams.
Agreed with the people above, typing is not worth it (unless you are really good with LaTex and willing to put in the time to type everything up); scanning your notes to create digital copies is probably your best bet if you want to refer to them in the future.
Reply 8
Original post by firegalley246
Agreed with the people above, typing is not worth it (unless you are really good with LaTex and willing to put in the time to type everything up); scanning your notes to create digital copies is probably your best bet if you want to refer to them in the future.

Good idea - I guess the only downside to writing notes is the chance of losing them... Though I'm too lazy to scan them in :P
Original post by Sundrah
Good idea - I guess the only downside to writing notes is the chance of losing them... Though I'm too lazy to scan them in :P

Use your phone camera (or any reasonable camera), with an auto-upload to Dropbox/One Drive/Box.net/Flickr/your choice of cloud service, and then organise them with folders for each module.

If you want to reduce the space they take up, consider batch converting them to black and white too; this can be done overnight once you have a reasonably sized collection.
Typing has the advantage that you're forced to learn LaTex - no bad thing if you're doing a lot of maths - and you can insert information later on with more ease as you learn/discover more things about a given topic.

On the downside, typing is much slower when doing maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey
I type most of my notes (including maths although I leave spaces to draw in diagrams and/or equations) but I am a really slow writer and my writings messy also I put my notes in dropbox and look at them anywhere there is wifi on my phone

Quick Reply

Latest