The Student Room Group

if you're not a feminist..

i invite and implore you to watch and read about emma watson's speech at the UN conference for promoting feminism (the HeForShe campaign) and perhaps reconsider.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11112411/Emma-Watson-Being-a-feminist-doesnt-make-me-man-hating.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let me know when the SheForHe campaign kicks off and I'll support both. Till then no thanks, Bob.
Original post by obidobi
Let me know when the SheForHe campaign kicks off and I'll support both. Till then no thanks, Bob.

i'm sorry to hear that, but it's your opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feminism is an extremely noble cause, but the inequalities are vastly overestimated. We should not be concentrating on gender equality in the developed world, but bringing equality to the Middle East and Africa. This however, does not come from destroying the patriarchy. It comes from de validating the religions which exist there.
"If you believe in equality, then you might be one of the inadvertent feminists I spoke of earlier. For this, I applaud you."

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe in equality. I've just never seen a need to label myself in a certain way.
Original post by Tempest II
I believe in equality. I've just never seen a need to label myself in a certain way.

it's great that you believe in equality, and, as emma watson mentions in her speech, it's about the idea and principles that feminism represents, not the word. so thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The issue with feminism, as with any social movement, is that it CAN NOT be defined.

So the idea that its just about gender equality might not be a view shared by many people, and the methods of achieving "equality" might also not be universally agreed on.

One things for sure, the vast majority of men believe in equality, but most would not call themselves feminists. I think in the west something similar is happening with women too, I would guess less and less are identifying as feminists, and those that do, are becoming more radical.

Presumably though as UN ambassador she won't be focusing on girls playing with the colour pink being sexist but will instead be focusing on education in the developing world. Heres hoping...
Original post by Huskaris
The issue with feminism, as with any social movement, is that it CAN NOT be defined.

So the idea that its just about gender equality might not be a view shared by many people, and the methods of achieving "equality" might also not be universally agreed on.

One things for sure, the vast majority of men believe in equality, but most would not call themselves feminists. I think in the west something similar is happening with women too, I would guess less and less are identifying as feminists, and those that do, are becoming more radical.

Presumably though as UN ambassador she won't be focusing on girls playing with the colour pink being sexist but will instead be focusing on education in the developing world. Heres hoping...

she is focusing on education in the developing world. if you watch the video, she mentions that without action towards gender equality being taken NOW, girls in africa won't all have access to secondary education for another lifetime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feminism can lick my sack. It's a joke now, any credibility it ever had has been ruined.
Original post by tanyapotter
she is focusing on education in the developing world. if you watch the video, she mentions that without action towards gender equality being taken NOW, girls in africa won't all have access to secondary education for another lifetime.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh great! Can't wait to see all the western feminists getting behind that!

Western feminism is the most selfish civil movement of all time, whereas developing world feminism is one of the most worthy.

Shame westerners only have interest in themselves.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Feminism can lick my sack. It's a joke now, any credibility it ever had has been ruined.

it's a shame that you feel that way. if you could watch the video, i'd consider it a huge achievement if it changed your mind. please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Huskaris
Oh great! Can't wait to see all the western feminists getting behind that!

Western feminism is the most selfish civil movement of all time, whereas developing world feminism is one of the most worthy.

Shame westerners only have interest in themselves.

it's great to see western feminists get behind something so important and i'm glad you'd readily support it. she explicitly mentions in her speech that she has all the privileges of a western woman (equal pay, rights to her own body, etc) but the reason why she is a feminist is because so many women in other countries in the world (specifically places like india, africa etc) don't have the rights she does. it's something that needs to change and ultimately an investment in people - what better movement is there than one that strives for equality for both the sexes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Strange marketing ploy OP. Noble cause, definitely in the likes of India and Africa, but I'll believe it when I see it. Until then Emma's just another celebrity cashing in Likes on her SJW status.
I'm still confused as to why it's not called "equalism" if equality is the goal... Feminism clearly suggests a bias.
it's a shame that you feel that way. if you could watch the video, i'd consider it a huge achievement if it changed your mind. please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I watched it and I don't understand why she says she's reaching out to men, she didn't go on to give any reason for why men should be 'galvanised' towards a cause that appears to do men no good. Men aren't the problem with modern feminism. Men are the targets of modern feminism and she's absolutely right when she says its synonymous with man-hating. There's what feminism is supposed to be and then there's what it actually is. It's the stupid/bitter/chip-on-their-shoulder women on her 'team' that she needs to address because they now do her cause more harm than good.
Reply 16
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I watched it and I don't understand why she says she's reaching out to men, she didn't go on to give any reason for why men should be 'galvanised' towards a cause that appears to do men no good. Men aren't the problem with modern feminism. Men are the targets of modern feminism and she's absolutely right when she says its synonymous with man-hating. There's what feminism is supposed to be and then there's what it actually is. It's the stupid/bitter/chip-on-their-shoulder women on her 'team' that she needs to address because they now do her cause more harm than good.

This. Plus the way she puts it just makes it sound like ye olde ''smashing patriarchy'' will help both men and women because gender roles are the construct of some worldwide male conspiracy, the concept behind radical feminism. Believing that men killing themselves at a much higher rate, ending up in jail or homeless or doing worse and worse in education is only due to socialization and no biological factors are involved is criminally insane and destroys so many lives year after year. It's the same old radfem crap, only sugar coated for a wider audience.
"If you believe in equality, then you might be one of the inadvertent feminists I spoke of earlier. For this, I applaud you."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jesus Christ how patronising can you get??!
Original post by Astronomical
I'm still confused as to why it's not called "equalism" if equality is the goal... Feminism clearly suggests a bias.

Most likely on the basis that women are considerably more oppressed in their rights in comparison to men - not so much now in the west, but in general worldwide, yes.
She's saying that men should stop calling feminists "man-haters", she doesn't say feminists should stop being men hating, sexually frustrated, bitter people.

I have no respect for Emma Watson. Feminism is a poison and she is a hypocrite.

Quick Reply

Latest