The Student Room Group

Should I really take IGCSE Physics?

Idk what to do, I wanna take Physics but then I don't like it? But i'm wondering if I would be at disadvantage if I don't take it?
wait, it's not compulsory for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by tanyapotter
wait, it's not compulsory for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Homeschooled.

You can do IGCSE Double Science, or three of them together as seperate IGCSE's .
Reply 3
Original post by elmosandy
Idk what to do, I wanna take Physics but then I don't like it? But i'm wondering if I would be at disadvantage if I don't take it?

You'll certainly not be disadvantaged if you don't take physics if a science-based career isn't something you're considering. I personally only did IGCSE Biology/Chemistry (separate) and haven't been told by my school's university counselor that i'll be ''disadvantaged'' when applying to uni.

If physics isn't something that appeals to you then definitely avoid it. It'll be a burden to you and you'll miss the opportunity to take a subject that interests you more in lieu of it.
Reply 4
Original post by pbunny
You'll certainly not be disadvantaged if you don't take physics if a science-based career isn't something you're considering. I personally only did IGCSE Biology/Chemistry (separate) and haven't been told by my school's university counselor that i'll be ''disadvantaged'' when applying to uni.

If physics isn't something that appeals to you then definitely avoid it. It'll be a burden to you and you'll miss the opportunity to take a subject that interests you more in lieu of it.

Want to do Biology at Uni though so... idk haha :/
I'am a homeschooled student intending to do a medicine career, and I can totally recommend physics, it will help you tons in A levels, as well as being an immense help in uni. Oh and its really not that hard trust me :smile:
Reply 6
You should.
You'd never know when you will change your mind at the age of 14 (I assume you are 14). Physics A level is absolutely essential to physics, engineering, computer science...and many other science course at uni wants 3 sciences as well (counting maths so not necessarily triple science). And you NEED physics GCSE or double award science GCSE to continue the subject to A level.

Also keep in mind most schools around the world set sciences compulsory so you won't have an edge over anyone at all.

At least do double award science, and I did double award science (school didn't offer triple). It's quite interesting and it's been enough for my Physics AS level. Also it's quite funny how what you learnt in physics GCSE is coming to use in Chemistry A level - which actually is often a requirement for biological science courses at top universities.

I would say it would still help. Knowing something about what radiation is will help with your understanding how cells can mutate and become cancerous for example.

You don't have to do it but it would probably help in some small way.
Reply 8

Like the others have said, in your situation taking IGCSE physics will help you out significantly, not taking it may negatively influence your university application as you are applying for a science.
Reply 9
Original post by C0balt
You should.
You'd never know when you will change your mind at the age of 14 (I assume you are 14). Physics A level is absolutely essential to physics, engineering, computer science...and many other science course at uni wants 3 sciences as well (counting maths so not necessarily triple science). And you NEED physics GCSE or double award science GCSE to continue the subject to A level.

Also keep in mind most schools around the world set sciences compulsory so you won't have an edge over anyone at all.

At least do double award science, and I did double award science (school didn't offer triple). It's quite interesting and it's been enough for my Physics AS level. Also it's quite funny how what you learnt in physics GCSE is coming to use in Chemistry A level - which actually is often a requirement for biological science courses at top universities.

Yeah i'm not 14...& I don't want to do Physics or maths, I don't like both subjects..... Ik I need Maths for GCSE but Do I really need Physics GCSE for Biology ?

& the colleges around here are alright with me taking Biology&Chemistry IGCSE.
Reply 10
Yeah i'm not 14...& I don't want to do Physics or maths, I don't like both subjects..... Ik I need Maths for GCSE but Do I really need Physics GCSE for Biology ?

& the colleges around here are alright with me taking Biology&Chemistry IGCSE.

The best thing to do is to ask your school's university counselor whether not taking IGCSE physics will negatively impact your uni application. If that not a possibilty - email some of the universities you are interested in and ask if they have a preference for biology applicants that have taken IGCSE physics.

Quick Reply

Latest