The Student Room Group

Coordinate Geometry Question?

hey guys. I have a question I'm stuck on.

The question is: Three points have coordinates A (2,9) B (4,3) C (2,-5). the line through C with gradient .5 meets the line AB produced at D. Calculate the coordinates of D.

I've started with drawing up a graph and plotting the points, however I do not know what to do afterwards to find the point of intersection D.

sorry for a pretty simple question, Maths isn't my strong point.
Original post by Abdo332
hey guys. I have a question I'm stuck on.

The question is: Three points have coordinates A (2,9) B (4,3) C (2,-5). the line through C with gradient .5 meets the line AB produced at D. Calculate the coordinates of D.

I've started with drawing up a graph and plotting the points, however I do not know what to do afterwards to find the point of intersection D.

sorry for a pretty simple question, Maths isn't my strong point.

Construct a pair of simultaneous equations and solve.
One will be for the line with gradient 0.5 and the other will be for the line including AB
Reply 2
Would they be in form of y=mx+c?
Original post by Abdo332
Would they be in form of y=mx+c?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you!
Reply 5
I'm really not having a frickin clue as how to set this up for whatever reason.

So one of them is y= .5x + c
So I use the points of C for (X,Y)? So it becomes -5=.5(2) + C?

And the other line I found the gradient, so it's now y= -3x+C?
Again, do I use points from A & B or (X,Y)
Original post by Abdo332
I'm really not having a frickin clue as how to set this up for whatever reason.

So one of them is y= .5x + c
So I use the points of C for (X,Y)? So it becomes -5=.5(2) + C?

And the other line I found the gradient, so it's now y= -3x+C?
Again, do I use points from A & B or (X,Y)

So for the line passing through C, you have a line gradient 0.5, so it is of the form y=0.5x+c1
To work out the c1 you need to substitute the values of x and y for a point you know to be on the line, in this case, (2,-5); so you get 5=0.52+c1c1=6-5=0.5\cdot2+c_1 \Rightarrow c_1=-6

If you then follow a similar procedure to get the line joining A and B, first having to find the gradient which, since it's a straight line, can be found by taking the difference in the y value of the two points and divide it by the difference in the x value. Then do exactly the same as above to find an equation for that line.

At this point you should have two equations of the form y=a1x+c1 and y=a2x+c2. You can then solve these simultaneous equations to find the x value of the intercept and then plug that into one of the two formulae that you found to get the y value.
Reply 7
Original post by Jammy Duel
So for the line passing through C, you have a line gradient 0.5, so it is of the form y=0.5x+c1
To work out the c1 you need to substitute the values of x and y for a point you know to be on the line, in this case, (2,-5); so you get 5=0.52+c1c1=6-5=0.5\cdot2+c_1 \Rightarrow c_1=-6

If you then follow a similar procedure to get the line joining A and B, first having to find the gradient which, since it's a straight line, can be found by taking the difference in the y value of the two points and divide it by the difference in the x value. Then do exactly the same as above to find an equation for that line.

At this point you should have two equations of the form y=a1x+c1 and y=a2x+c2. You can then solve these simultaneous equations to find the x value of the intercept and then plug that into one of the two formulae that you found to get the y value.

thanks heaps!

Quick Reply

Latest