The Student Room Group

Hey pretty person!! Yes You...

Okay, so if you guys opened this post thank you very much .

In Short: I am girl from third world country who did entire O Level (6 As) without a teacher due to lack of resources. I am doing A Level now in math, business and Economics. I completed O Level in 3 Years and A Level in 2.5, since I had to completely self study. I am also working part time as business content writer. And I am dying in my heart to go to a good university as Cambridge or Harvard. Please tell me my chances.

If you have time - Details: Guys, I am a case of academic amazement really. I was a topper in my local school. Have so many shields. But then I felt that I absolutely couldn't hold up the turtle speed and sub-standard quality of education. I wanted to jump into Cambridge qualification but my single mother couldn't bear the costs. And so I decided to take up the burden on my own shoulders.

It was a big jump. I knew no word of English. The difference in standard was of miles. In frst year of O level I got A in Urdu, B in Pak. Studies and C in Islam. Second year, A* in Economics, A in Business, A* in Commerce and Third year, A* in Math, A in English.

Now i am giving A level Business, Math and Economics. I personally expect As if I give them in 2016 June, at age of 18 and 9 months. I could have given them earlier even if i had to study without a teacher, but i got involved in assignments. In first year of A level I was practically doing two jobs. Working as content writer and manager for local firm, and also doing online assignments of masters - level students. So i didn't get much time to study.

What will universities think of me. Will they get me for my hardworking and potential nature. Or reject me on some lousy basis. I can get a proof of my first job, but the students whop made me write their assignments won't give me certificate for it.

Will I get in a good university on basis of 3 A level and Academic/Work Background?
Please help

You have got to help me. Or if i die out of frustration my ghost will haunt you for centuries you know...
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you Study Revise, mate, it really helped :smile:

P.S. sorry i know it is more than wtf , but i am just too worried, thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by AreebaKausar
Okay, so if you guys opened this post thank you very much .

In Short: I am girl from third world country who did entire O Level (6 As) without a teacher due to lack of resources. I am doing A Level now in math, business and Economics. I completed O Level in 3 Years and A Level in 2.5, since I had to completely self study. I am also working part time as business content writer. And I am dying in my heart to go to a good university as Cambridge or Harvard. Please tell me my chances.

If you have time - Details: Guys, I am a case of academic amazement really. I was a topper in my local school. Have so many shields. But then I felt that I absolutely couldn't hold up the turtle speed and sub-standard quality of education. I wanted to jump into Cambridge qualification but my single mother couldn't bear the costs. And so I decided to take up the burden on my own shoulders.

It was a big jump. I knew no word of English. The difference in standard was of miles. In frst year of O level I got A in Urdu, B in Pak. Studies and C in Islam. Second year, A* in Economics, A in Business, A* in Commerce and Third year, A* in Math, A in English.

Now i am giving A level Business, Math and Economics. I personally expect As if I give them in 2016 June, at age of 18 and 9 months. I could have given them earlier even if i had to study without a teacher, but i got involved in assignments. In first year of A level I was practically doing two jobs. Working as content writer and manager for local firm, and also doing online assignments of masters - level students. So i didn't get much time to study.

What will universities think of me. Will they get me for my hardworking and potential nature. Or reject me on some lousy basis. I can get a proof of my first job, but the students whop made me write their assignments won't give me certificate for it.

Will I get in a good university on basis of 3 A level and Academic/Work Background?
Please help

You have got to help me. Or if i die out of frustration my ghost will haunt you for centuries you know...

Well for Cambridge first, some facts: the average Cambridge student has 2.5 A*s at a level. Remember this includes medicine etc so slightly distorted. The min is A*AA at a level. AS are important. Aim to get 4 As and average UMS of 90. The higher your UMS the higher your chance of acceptance. At A Level they want at least 1 A*, probably more. They also don't care about GCSEs (and probably O Levels) as much because of some study they did. This is the opposite of Oxford. They do consider extenuating circumstances, but don't rely on that. They also really don't seem to care much about extra curricular, it's mainly grades.
Havard is different. You need to take SATs. They generally disregard other qualifications, maybe they don't understand them, I'm not sure. You will probably also have a test for the course you want to take.

I wouldn't mention the "not having time to study", they don't like excuses and wouldn't want that when you enrol. Tey want devotion to your course. They will help you financially if you need it. Don't make excuses, just say the facts.
Original post by Mia1001
Well for Cambridge first, some facts: the average Cambridge student has 2.5 A*s at a level. Remember this includes medicine etc so slightly distorted. The min is A*AA at a level. AS are important. Aim to get 4 As and average UMS of 90. The higher your UMS the higher your chance of acceptance. At A Level they want at least 1 A*, probably more. They also don't care about GCSEs (and probably O Levels) as much because of some study they did. This is the opposite of Oxford. They do consider extenuating circumstances, but don't rely on that. They also really don't seem to care much about extra curricular, it's mainly grades.
Havard is different. You need to take SATs. They generally disregard other qualifications, maybe they don't understand them, I'm not sure. You will probably also have a test for the course you want to take.

I wouldn't mention the "not having time to study", they don't like excuses and wouldn't want that when you enrol. Tey want devotion to your course. They will help you financially if you need it. Don't make excuses, just say the facts.

As I said in the OPs other identical thread, the normal rules don't really apply here. Her situation is so unusual that she'll have to contact the universities to see what they say.
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
As I said in the OPs other identical thread, the normal rules don't really apply here. Her situation is so unusual that she'll have to contact the universities to see what they say.

I'm sorry I didn't see that, my apologies. I agree, I was wondering how she managed to do O levels. I was just telling her the general information about applications. In the case of the US she would still have to do SATs, I'm sure that will be okay but UCAS and so on would be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending