The Student Room Group

Philosophy 2015 Applicants Thread

Greetings everybody

There is no such thread as of yet, hence I decided to create one. So that we, the philosophy applicants, can discuss and advice each other on the application process, the university choices, the personal statements, and the A-levels.
To start off: Where are you guys applying to, and what subjects/grades do you have?

Here's the Philosophy connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey I'm a post A-Level applicant, originally applied for combined honours french and philosophy but decided I couldn't handle french halfway through the year:biggrin:

Achieved AAAB in both AS and A2, however I'm still getting some papers remarked. I'm applying to a few london unis and some outside: UCL, King's, Bristol and Manchester so far.

The personal statement bit was easy for me as I just changed my paragraph on french to an extended paragraph on political philosophy :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by benq
Greetings everybody

There is no such thread as of yet, hence I decided to create one. So that we, the philosophy applicants, can discuss and advice each other on the application process, the university choices, the personal statements, and the A-levels.
To start off: Where are you guys applying to, and what subjects/grades do you have?

I'm going for Oxford (philosophy and theology), Durham, Exeter, Nottingham (all philosophy) and Warwick (philosophy and literature)

Got an AAB offer from Warwick on the 8th :smile:

I have 10A*s at gcse, 4As at AS and am predicted A*A*A* with RS, Economics and English (I dropped Biology at AS).

How about you?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm applying to do Philosophy and Theology at Exeter and Birmingham and straight Philosophy at Manchester Liverpool and Reading.

Currently studying History, Geographjy Ethics and Eastern Philosophy and Welsh Bacc. Predicted ABB.

How has everyone gone about writing their personal statements?
Hi I am also applying to do Philosophy- got 1 A*, 4As, 3Bs and a C at GCSE and 2Bs and 2Cs at AS level. I am resisting two papers though (one RS paper and one Psychology paper) I am applying for Heythrop, St Andrews, Oxford Brookes, Cardiff and Royal Holloway.

Personal Statement is going ok. I have got a lot of stuff to say, but just to need to get it down on paper. :smile:
Reply 5
Im planning to apply to philosophy and economics at LSE, Bristol, Nottingham and Manchester but confused between phil and econ at UCL or PPE at Warwick. I got 3 As and a B in my AS and 2A*s 5As abd 2Bs at O levels. International student btw
I'm planning on Philosophy and English literature CH.
I'm applying to- Durham, Sheffield, Leeds, York and Royal Holloway (UoL).
I was in a difficult situation in Year 12 and achieved far lower than I should have done in all subjects but English lit, so I carried on English lit and did RS and History AS levels last summer.
Grades achieved - A* English lit., A RS, B History. A*AAABBBBB at GCSE.
Predicted - A* RS, A History, A EPQ
I want to apply for philosophy as well. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi12
I'm going for Oxford (philosophy and theology), Durham, Exeter, Nottingham (all philosophy) and Warwick (philosophy and literature)

I have 10A*s at gcse, 4As at AS and am predicted A*A*A with RS, Economics and English respectively (I dropped Biology at AS).

How about you?

Hey!
I'm applying to Oxford for philosophy and theology too!
I got weak gcses 10As 1B but pulled my **** at AS and got the highest in school being the only one to get 4As. Predicted A*A*A* in RS, History and Maths. Dropped English Lit.

How are you gonna study for Philosophy test for Oxford?? And do you know how many marks we have to get and to be considered for interview? And how many marks it's out of???
Reply 9
Original post by Tow
Hey!
I'm applying to Oxford for philosophy and theology too!
I got weak gcses 10As 1B but pulled my **** at AS and got the highest in school being the only one to get 4As. Predicted A*A*A* in RS, History and Maths. Dropped English Lit.

How are you gonna study for Philosophy test for Oxford?? And do you know how many marks we have to get and to be considered for interview? And how many marks it's out of???

Those GCSEs still sound good, and you've definitely shown improvement from GCSE to AS which apparently they love :smile:
What college are you applying for?
I could only find one past paper so I'll do that over half term - my philosophy teacher wrote one for me in a similar style, which we did under timed conditions, so I'll see what she said about that, and read another general intro to philosophy in half term. What about you? I don't think there is a certain mark you need, as far as I know! I think they just want to see your natural ability
Original post by Naomi12
Those GCSEs still sound good, and you've definitely shown improvement from GCSE to AS which apparently they love :smile:
What college are you applying for?
I could only find one past paper so I'll do that over half term - my philosophy teacher wrote one for me in a similar style, which we did under timed conditions, so I'll see what she said about that, and read another general intro to philosophy in half term. What about you? I don't think there is a certain mark you need, as far as I know! I think they just want to see your natural ability

Yeah I heard they love the improvement thing but who knows because it's so competitive now. Gonna have to do amazing in the test to get the interview and offer. But I'm so glad I found someone who is also going through the same thing!! Yay! :P

I'm applying to Regents Park College and probably haven't heard of it because it's a PPH so yeah. Anyway I was wondering what you were going to write about for the written essays we have to give to them? Apparently they don't like reading Utilitarianism essays and stuff like that because it's just so common.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tow
Yeah I heard they love the improvement thing but who knows because it's so competitive now. Gonna have to do amazing in the test to get the interview and offer. But I'm so glad I found someone who is also going through the same thing!! Yay! :P

I'm applying to Regents Park College and probably haven't heard of it because it's a PPH so yeah. Anyway I was wondering what you were going to write about for the written essays we have to give to them? Apparently they don't like reading Utilitarianism essays and stuff like that because it's just so common.

With the competitiveness, I've just kept telling myself that while Oxford would be amazing, I would still love to be at Durham or Warwick, and would be happy at all three. I used to be really scared of being rejected but I've just accepted the big risk now!
I met a couple others at the Oriel open day, but they're the only others I've met - we're special types, clearly :wink:
Yeah I've heard of some of the PPHs :smile: Half the places that do Phil&Theo seem to be PPHs, though most seem to be mature or boys only?
I'm sending in one about the Kantian approach to war (pre-exam timed essay), and one about the inheritance of rights and how this translates for animals (essay competition essay), as I thought that would give them a bit of variety and I have lots to say about them both. My exam board is OCR Religious Studies so you don't really do many long essays, and the longer ones have no evaluation which Oxford want to see, so it was a bit hard to choose :tongue: What are you sending?
Original post by Naomi12
With the competitiveness, I've just kept telling myself that while Oxford would be amazing, I would still love to be at Durham or Warwick, and would be happy at all three. I used to be really scared of being rejected but I've just accepted the big risk now!
I met a couple others at the Oriel open day, but they're the only others I've met - we're special types, clearly :wink:
Yeah I've heard of some of the PPHs :smile: Half the places that do Phil&Theo seem to be PPHs, though most seem to be mature or boys only?
I'm sending in one about the Kantian approach to war (pre-exam timed essay), and one about the inheritance of rights and how this translates for animals (essay competition essay), as I thought that would give them a bit of variety and I have lots to say about them both. My exam board is OCR Religious Studies so you don't really do many long essays, and the longer ones have no evaluation which Oxford want to see, so it was a bit hard to choose :tongue: What are you sending?

Ahaa, yeah I agree, I'd be more than happy to go to my other universities. I too was so concerned about being rejected but I just put that aside now. What college are you applying to?:tongue:

Oh wow, you're so lucky... my exam board is Edexcel and they expect us to write around 20 pages A4 pages in 1 hour 45 minutes. Yes, 20 pages. I'm thinking of submitting an essay I randomly decided to do at the start of AS that's not necessarily linked to my subjects but it's discussing philosophical dilemmas. The other essay I think will be from one from my huge collection I did for English.
Applying for straight Philosophy at KCL, Nottingham, Birmingham, Southampton and Sussex.
AS grades were AABB and predicted A*AA
Sent off my application on Monday, so fingers crossed
Original post by Tow
Ahaa, yeah I agree, I'd be more than happy to go to my other universities. I too was so concerned about being rejected but I just put that aside now. What college are you applying to?:tongue:

Oh wow, you're so lucky... my exam board is Edexcel and they expect us to write around 20 pages A4 pages in 1 hour 45 minutes. Yes, 20 pages. I'm thinking of submitting an essay I randomly decided to do at the start of AS that's not necessarily linked to my subjects but it's discussing philosophical dilemmas. The other essay I think will be from one from my huge collection I did for English.

I'm going for Oriel, the tutors are so nice and everyone I met seemed happy, so I figured why not!

I hate my exam board - you have to write 4 essays in an hour and a half, so by the time you get into an essay you have to move onto the next! The A2 is a better style, much longer nicer essays :smile:

Sounds good :smile: Did you check with your college that it's okay to send English essays off? I wanted to send a really good Yeats essay, but Oriel say that if you do RS the essays have to be from there!
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Philosophy connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
Hey all, thought I'd chip in!

I've applied to do straight Philosophy at Cardiff, York, Royal Holloway and Durham and Philosophy and Theology at Oxford. I got a conditional offer from York on Monday.

My results last year were:
English Language AS: B
English Language A2: B
English Literature AS: A
French AS: C
Health and Social Care AS: B
Religious Studies AS: A

My predicted grades for this year are:
English Literature A2: A*
French AS (Retaking because I wasn't happy with that C): A
French A2: A
Religious Studies: A*

I got all A*s and As at GCSE

My personal statement was risky and, although York obviously liked it, I don't know if the other unis will. I'm really worried about the Oxford Philosophy entrance exam :/
Original post by Rebecca_Kathleen
Hey all, thought I'd chip in!

I've applied to do straight Philosophy at Cardiff, York, Royal Holloway and Durham and Philosophy and Theology at Oxford. I got a conditional offer from York on Monday.

My results last year were:
English Language AS: B
English Language A2: B
English Literature AS: A
French AS: C
Health and Social Care AS: B
Religious Studies AS: A

My predicted grades for this year are:
English Literature A2: A*
French AS (Retaking because I wasn't happy with that C): A
French A2: A
Religious Studies: A*

I got all A*s and As at GCSE

My personal statement was risky and, although York obviously liked it, I don't know if the other unis will. I'm really worried about the Oxford Philosophy entrance exam :/

I've applied to Royal Holloway, York and Durham too! :smile:
Good luck with the Oxford exam!
Original post by libertinegirl96
I've applied to Royal Holloway, York and Durham too! :smile:
Good luck with the Oxford exam!

Awesome, never know, we might end up in the same lectures one day :wink:

Thank you, I had an hour and a half session with my Philosophy teacher to prep for it (I only asked him to read through a plan but we got into a heated discussion XD) but I am definitely not looking forward to it! I mean, I'm interested to write the Philosophy essay but half an hour on an essay question that's entire purpose is to be tricky? Both excited and petrified.
Original post by Rebecca_Kathleen
Awesome, never know, we might end up in the same lectures one day :wink:

Thank you, I had an hour and a half session with my Philosophy teacher to prep for it (I only asked him to read through a plan but we got into a heated discussion XD) but I am definitely not looking forward to it! I mean, I'm interested to write the Philosophy essay but half an hour on an essay question that's entire purpose is to be tricky? Both excited and petrified.

Well let's hope that we're not, and that you end up at Oxford haha! :wink:

Let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending