The Student Room Group

Should parents help you out with finances while studying?

I am a second year student, currently living with my mum. I am wondering if it is compulsory for my dad to help me out financially whilst I am studying? As currently he does not.

All answers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
It's not legally compulsory for anybody to help you out financially after the age of 18 - why would it be? You're an adult.
Reply 2
Not really. Unless they forced you to go uni then yeah else find a job.
Its not compulsory, but maybe you could try speaking to him and asking for some help?
Reply 4
If they care about their children, it wouldn't hurt for parents to offer some help.
Reply 5
Original post by Gherk
If they care about their children, it wouldn't hurt for parents to offer some help.

Rubbish. A parent can care about their adult children perfectly fine without needing to provide financial support.
Original post by Reue
Rubbish. A parent can care about their adult children perfectly fine without needing to provide financial support.

that's 'not caring', unless they can't afford it.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonynous
that's 'not caring', unless they can't afford it.

It's caring about, not caring for.

Personally I see situations where the parents financially support their adult child entirely as being somewhat cruel. They havn't prepared their children for adult life at all.
Just because you stop being a kid doesn't mean you're not their kid.
Reply 9
If his income isn't taken into account when assessing your student finance, then in this situation I'd say no.
Whether or not you think parents who are assumed by the government to help should do so is another matter.
Reply 10
Depends on their finances I suppose. If they're low earners and you're receiving a grant then I'd say fair enough, but if they earn too much for you to receive a grant then I'd say they probably should provide at least some financial support, otherwise its unfair on their child that they don't receive any extra financial support just because their parents earn too much.

Quick Reply

Latest