The Student Room Group

Doing a full A-Level in one year as a private student?

Hi :smile:

Just looking for peoples thoughts and advice on my situation.

A quick bit of background. I have two C's and one D at A-level (C's in Politics and Psychology, D in Business) which I obtained in 2008. I was a pretty poor student at the time and frankly those results are a bit of an embarrassment.

I am planning to apply for a job in November (applications open then) which requires a minimum of three C's at A-level. I have contacted the college I sat my exams with to enquire about re-sitting but the spec has changed since then so no dice!

I've investigated a few distance learning providers that offer fast track A-levels but have found an unsettling amount of negative reviews.

The plan now is to study for AS and A2 exams in Biology in my own time (ie, without using a distance learning provider or traditional college, just using whatever resources I can lay my hands on) and sit the exams wherever I can. I am open to the possibility of hiring a private tutor if I can find one and think I need it. I work full time and have a one month old son so obviously this is going to be a massive undertaking but that is the current plan.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, advice or resources they think might be useful. Any input appreciated :smile:
Original post by c14ret
Hi :smile:
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, advice or resources they think might be useful. Any input appreciated :smile:

A level biology will require you to complete 2 assessed practical tasks that will be expensive and it can be hard to find a centre to take them.
Is there any reason why it has to be biology? Could you choose a subject that is exam only?
Doing a full A level in one year will be challenging if you have a full time job and family commitments.
Completely retaking business studies where you already have some background might be less work and would not require any coursework or internal assessment.
E.g. http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/business-subjects/as-and-a-level/business-studies-2130
Obviously there is no way you can complete the A level before the November window of your job application, your exams will be next summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending