The Student Room Group

What will universities look at when we no longer have AS grades?

I understand they're removing the AS exams from the A-Level. But what will unis look at instead of AS grades when making offers?

Scroll to see replies

GCSE and predicted grades- schools will make predicted grades based on students sitting AS exam past papers. But GCSE's will be the main thing. It'll no doubt make life harder for admissions tutors. I also see the possibility of universities making heavier use of institutional admissions tests.
So, AS wont be considered??
But part of A2 will still be completed in year 12 right?
Original post by STUDYREVISE
So, AS wont be considered??
But part of A2 will still be completed in year 12 right?

Official AS will not, but for the average student's timetable it'll be business as usual- they'll almost certainly sit AS exams to calculate a predicted grade, it just wont count towards their A Level qualification.
See. This is what I PM'd you about.

:mute:
Do you not like, read the news at all?
Original post by Alex347_
Official AS will not, but for the average student's timetable it'll be business as usual- they'll almost certainly sit AS exams to calculate a predicted grade, it just wont count towards their A Level qualification.

Right.
So there's no point to do the AS exams anyway. you just have to do it for the sake of doing it..?
And you'll have to sit it again ie, AS and A2, at the end of year 13?
:argh:
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Right.
So there's no point to do the AS exams anyway. you just have to do it for the sake of doing it..?
And you'll have to sit it again ie, AS and A2, at the end of year 13?
:argh:

No, not for the 'sake' of it, predicted A2 grades are very, very important. No, you'll do one-three A2 Level exams at the end of year 13 and that is it.
Yet your shocked to here this. :colone:
Even though I PM'd you to tell you about it. :rolleyes:
Well, this is a nice surprise for you then, isn't it? :biggrin:.
Nope, you will do 3a2 and an AS.
you must pick your AS BEFORE you start, so u cant drop ur worst grade like before. The AS u pick will have exams first yr, a2 only in the 2nd so they cant predict u based on as exams. Its most likely to be gcses or teachers predictions based on work etc
No, not for the 'sake' of it, predicted A2 grades are very, very important. No, you'll do one-three A2 Level exams at the end of year 13 and that is it.

Thanks a lot! :smile:
I was very confused when I first heard about it.
This only affects people starting courses in 2015. It is not 2015. Unless you are year 11 now, then it'll affect you in absolutely no way at all.
Reply 13
Is this the late Gove's master action plan coming into action?

If it isn't broken kids, don't try and fix it. :colonhash:
Reply 14
it will be based on admission tests like mat, ukcat, step etc
they are more important than AS grades NOW anyways so removing AS won't really change much unless some subjects don't have admission tests- they will have tests most likely
Original post by ETRC
it will be based on admission tests like mat, ukcat, step etc
they are more important than AS grades NOW anyways so removing AS won't really change much unless some subjects don't have admission tests- they will have tests most likely

They are absolutely not more important 'NOW' apart from in a very narrow set of subjects or universities. But I do agree that there'll be an expansion of institutional and external admissions tests.
I'm doing RS As in year 11.. So it won't count? Wtf
GCSE and predicted grades- schools will make predicted grades based on students sitting AS exam past papers. But GCSE's will be the main thing. It'll no doubt make life harder for admissions tutors. I also see the possibility of universities making heavier use of institutional admissions tests.

When will the changes to A levels take place? Is it in 2015?
Original post by German123
When will the changes to A levels take place? Is it in 2015?

If you enter Sixth Form in September 2015 then AS Levels are not part of the A Level qualification.
Original post by A sheesh
Nope, you will do 3a2 and an AS.
you must pick your AS BEFORE you start, so u cant drop ur worst grade like before. The AS u pick will have exams first yr, a2 only in the 2nd so they cant predict u based on as exams. Its most likely to be gcses or teachers predictions based on work etc

When will the changes for A level take place?:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest