The Student Room Group

French as essay

Okay, so let's just say that I didn't exactly get the best education at French GCSE, and I have to write an essay about a topic that we've not covered or done any work on - I'm seriously freaking out!!

Here's the essay title:

'Selon de nombreux réalisateurs, les développements technologies, tels que le cinéma à domicile et le téléchargement de films, menacent le cinéma traditionnel. Selon eux, moins de gens vont aller au cinéma dans les anées à venir. A votre avis quels sont les avantages et les inconvénients des différents moyens de regarder un film? Pour vous quel est l'avenir du cinéma?'

If anyone has any phrases/sentences that would be useful I'd really appreciate it! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hiya, i studied this in AS French and I have a bunch of useful stuff. Here goes:

Useful introductory phrases: I can't do the correct accents on the 'e' and 'u' 'a' e.t.c i apologise
1. Selon cette hypothese...(accent on the 'e')
2. De nos jours, un theme brulant de l'actualite est celui de...
3. Nous vivons dans un monde ou...
4. Tout d'abord, il faut dire que...
5. Ce qui nous preoccupe ici, c'est...
I have loooads more, tell me if required.

Useful starters for the first side of the argument:
1. Reflechissons d'abord aux raisons pour lesquelles....
2. Tout d'abord examinons...
3. Commencons par examiner...
5. Le premiere constation qui s'impose est que...

Useful starters for the second side of argumentL
1. Le revers de la medaille, c'est que...
2. Apres avoir examine les pours, venons-en maintenant aux contres
3. Il convient maintenant d'analyser...

Useful concluding starters:
1. Toutes choses considerees, on peut deduire que...
2. En somme....
3. Pour conclure (i wouldn't use this; quite simple)
4. On peut aboutir qu'a une seule conclusion logique.

If you want things relative to your question, let me know.
Reply 2
This is a very good list by Saraa_d, you could use plenty of those to structure your essay and create a flowing narrative to it.

The question they are asking you is basically whether streaming and home cinema along with other technological developments (maybe mobile and tablets) are endangering the traditional way to watch movies: at the theater. I don't think you need to know anything about the "subject" as you can easily research that on the internet. A quick top of my head plan for such an essay would go like this:

Intro

I. Situation d'aujourd'hui: le % de declin du cinema, les causes (streaming, tablets, 4G, bigger TV screens with better resolution etc etc) you want to include figures and the results of reputable studies on the effects of technology on traditional cinema.

II. In this section I'd list 2 or 3 alternative ways to watch movies, say streaming on netflix or downloading illegally and then I'd list the pros and cons of each, as the assignment requires.

III. What is your own opinion? Where is cinema going to be 10/20 years down the line? Google future of cinema and that may give you some ideas.

Conclusion.

J'espere que ca va t'aider, allez bonne chance!
Reply 3
Original post by lmireland

"'Selon de nombreux réalisateurs, les développements technologiques, tels que le cinéma à domicile et le téléchargement de films, menacent le cinéma traditionnel. Selon eux, moins de gens vont aller au cinéma dans les années à venir. A votre avis quels sont les avantages et les inconvénients des différents moyens de regarder un film? Pour vous quel est l'avenir du cinéma?'"

Corrected the subject.
Reply 4
Original post by Saraaa_d

Useful introductory phrases: I can't do the correct accents on the 'e' and 'u' 'a' e.t.c i apologise
2. De nos jours, un theme brulant de l'actualite est celui de... brulant is too colloquial, it's better to say récurrent.
Avoid ici in written French.

5. Le première constatation qui s'impose est que...

Your starters are all too "harsh" for written French, they are suitable for spoken French only.

1. Le revers de la médaille, c'est que... "c'est que" is awkward..
2. Apres avoir examine les pours, venons-en maintenant aux contres Pour and contre are invariable: "les pour et contre". However the sentence remains awkward for me. I'd say: Après avoir vu/examiné/passé en revue/ les avantages de..., examinons/tournons-nous vers/voyons/regardons les inconvénients/points négatifs/désavantages de ... [don't repeat the same verb]
3. Il convient maintenant d'analyser... It's better to put this phrase after "Après avoir vu...", otherwise you have to write an intermediate conclusion before.

1. Toutes choses considerées, on peut (en) déduire que... a bit awkward.
2. En somme.... Also Au final, En conclusion, Ainsi...
3. Pour conclure (i wouldn't use this; quite simple) I'd use it, it's correct ^^
4. On ne peut aboutir qu'à une seule conclusion logique. Only if the conclusion is really obvious

I corrected your sentences. Keep in mind that spoken and written French are different.
Most of what you wrote is correct, but you have to learn this difference if you want to be perfect.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Hiya, i studied this in AS French and I have a bunch of useful stuff. Here goes:

2. En somme....

Hi ! Although I wasn't the one that asked the question I do feel like this information helped me a lot, so thank you ! :smile: I was wondering if you have any tips for French AS? I got an A at iGCSE Edexcel, so far I am not struggling but I do realize it will get harder. I really need an A in French as it is one of the subjects required for the university course I would like to apply to.

Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Dee_98
Hi ! Although I wasn't the one that asked the question I do feel like this information helped me a lot, so thank you ! :smile: I was wondering if you have any tips for French AS? I got an A at iGCSE Edexcel, so far I am not struggling but I do realize it will get harder. I really need an A in French as it is one of the subjects required for the university course I would like to apply to.

Thank you

Hey:smile: I'm glad it was useful, you're wholly welcome! The most important thing for French AS is to learn your grammar. In GCSE, there is less emphasis on grammar, whereas in AS, they focus on it much more. You're expected to increase your accuracy and therefore, i'd advise you to learn your irregular verbs, and the tenses. I'd recommend " Heinemann A Level French Grammar Practice" for this merely because it sets out all the tenses you need for AS as well as having lots of practice exercises to do. Not only that, they have useful phrases too! We got given this by our college, but if you can buy it on amazon if you want, REALLY useful! It's also got A2 stuff too, so it's useful for both years. Vocab is also VERY crucial, learn as much vocab as you can, for this i recommend the "Atouts AS" exercise book (you might be given this, if not, you can buy it) or equally, one by your exam board, such as "aqa french as" or "ocr" whatever you're doing. I found that the more vocab i knew, the better it was for my writing skills-which made my writing look really sophisticated in the exam-and my reading skills. Don't do revision last minute, for french, it's difficult to revise for, but you have to learn key vocab from your topics, key arguments which you can use in your essay, and definitely grammar. If you do AQA, there's one page in the exam, where you have to choose the correct tense of the verb and write it in the sentence. Grammar is defo the most important thing, focus on that a lot! I have loooads of resources for AS, let me know i'll give you word documents of them. As for speaking, it's the easiest thing even though it may not seem it. preparation and practicing loads of speaking is key. I got an A for that, only 2 marks away from full marks, they tend to be more leniant with speaking. Good luck!!!!! :smile:

P.S. the book "mot a mot" is also so useful, it's got sophisticated sentences and stuff, worth the price.
Reply 7

2. En somme....

Hi Saara
At the moment I am not doing so well in french. i am getting really poor grades for my control assessment so can you help me please. i really want to get an a star, i feel like everyone is laughing out me when they find out my grade. my email address is [email protected]. please help me
Reply 8
Original post by Desingu
Hi Saara
At the moment I am not doing so well in french. i am getting really poor grades for my control assessment so can you help me please. i really want to get an a star, i feel like everyone is laughing out me when they find out my grade. my email address is [email protected]. please help me

Emailed you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending