The Student Room Group

Ideas for 'Unforeseen Consequences' essay

I'm in year 10 and 14 years old and next week we start an essay which counts for 15% of our English Language GCSE. It can be about basically anything we want but the title is Unforeseen Consequences and has to be about something around those lines. My dad suggested something along the lines of this:
There's a boy and he's in the car with his dad, eating a McDonald's. He decides to throw it out of the window. A bird then picks it up and is flying low when a women with 2 kids in the back sees the bird and swerves. She then hits a cyclist.
I haven't really thought of much past this, but I've started writing it and wrote the first paragraph. However I can't think of a way to continue it. This is what I did for the first paragraph:
"I couldn’t eat anymore. It was too much. The soft, tender, succulent chicken which had been so beckoning before, I could no longer force down my throat. My dad was driving me down the streets of London, on our way back from McDonalds. We were in our black Bentley, going at 50 mph. I decided that I wouldn’t be able to finish the BBQ Chicken Legend, so I just chucked it out of the car window…"
Please can u guys just suggest an idea for the next paragraph. Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
That sounds more like a piece of creative writing than an essay.

Are you able to run it past your English teacher for a check that you're on the right track?

fwiw an essay is a piece of basically factual writing without section headings - a bit like a columnist in a newspaper.
yeah sorry didn't mean essay
Reply 4
Original post by whitedynamite

"I couldn’t eat anymore. It was too much. The soft, tender, succulent chicken which had been so beckoning before, I could no longer force down my throat. My dad was driving me down the streets of London, on our way back from McDonalds. We were in our black Bentley, going at 50 mph. I decided that I wouldn’t be able to finish the BBQ Chicken Legend, so I just chucked it out of the car window…"
Please can u guys just suggest an idea for the next paragraph. Thanks in advance :smile:

you should like write about the size of the bird or something, go into description
or go into the bird's point of view
then the woman's in the car
then the kids in the back of the car
then the woman on the bike

btw why would a BIRD swoop for CHICKEN?...

plus i'm doing the same ting at the moment and I have no ideas -.-
Reply 5
Just say you had to stop the car ect and then you saw the bird swooping down to eat the rest of your burger and describe how the bird looked and ate and how intriguing it was then mention the woman in the car
Original post by Joinedup
That sounds more like a piece of creative writing than an essay.

Are you able to run it past your English teacher for a check that you're on the right track?

fwiw an essay is a piece of basically factual writing without section headings - a bit like a columnist in a newspaper.

Hi, my GCSE work is titled 'Unforeseen Consequences' also and mine is creative/ imaginative writing. I have got one or two ideas but nothing at GCSE level. If you could help that would be great as I am in need of some guidance. Thanks.
I think in English I am about to do the same thing. The best one I can think of is as follows:

A teenager who sleeps with earmuffs due to a medical condition (something along the lines of sensitive hearing) sleeps through their alarm in the morning and so doesn't hear the explosion locally to him that deafens everybody in a two mile radius.

I am sure that this could be changed in a million far better ways, but at least it's an idea :smile:
Reply 8
I am also doing the same creative writing topic with Unforeseen consequences as the title. I was just wandering if It has to be somewhat realistic or can it be something related to ghosts or something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending