The Student Room Group

A Level Maths in One Year

Hi there, I want to inow if it's possible to do A level maths fully in one year? This is in conjunction with Further Maths, chemistry, physics, german and general studies!

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bunneh
Hi there, I want to inow if it's possible to do A level maths fully in one year? This is in conjunction with Further Maths, chemistry, physics, german and general studies!

Thanks!

Many people do A Level Maths in a single year as schools often teach Maths in Y12 and then Further Maths in Y13
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Many people do A Level Maths in a single year as schools often teach Maths in Y12 and then Further Maths in Y13

Ah okay, so it's not a problem to do 5 As and an A2? :smile:

Is it capable to do C1 C2 S1 first year.

Then C3 C4 M1 M2 D1 FP1 FP2 S2 S3 second year in your opinion?

Self-teaching and working very hard.

By capable I mean accrue a stars in both subjects, in your experience.
Original post by Bunneh
Ah okay, so it's not a problem to do 5 As and an A2? :smile:

When you say 5AS ??

Chemistry
Physics
German

General Studies - usually completed with minimal studies

With Maths A Level - pretty standard for double mathematicians

Unless you are saying that you will do FM AS in Y12 as well - in which case - why?
Original post by ANEXIS kZstaR
Is it capable to do C1 C2 S1 first year.

Then C3 C4 M1 M2 D1 FP1 FP2 S2 S3 second year in your opinion?

Self-teaching and working very hard.

By capable I mean accrue a stars in both subjects, in your experience.

Possible - but why split it like that
Reply 6
Original post by Bunneh

Thanks!

You can obviously. It's a lot of work. I was considering that, but decided it wasn't necessary for my uni course, and didn't want to have to compromise time and effort for it (I want to do law). See how your school timetables it. You may have extra lessons to speed up the learning, because you will essentially need to learn double the amount, and you will compromise free periods. I'm assuming if you are good at maths (as you probably are for f maths), regular a level will be easy. Further maths is more work but not very hard from what I hear, but you need to be dedicated to losing free time and making sure your other subjects get the same amount of attention. Universities seem to not care about more than 3 A Levels, and instead of requesting A*AA, may ask for A*AAA or higher, which is difficult. If you can do it though, or if you need it, definitely do it
Reply 7
When you say 5AS ??

Chemistry
Physics
German

General Studies - usually completed with minimal studies

With Maths A Level - pretty standard for double mathematicians

Unless you are saying that you will do FM AS in Y12 as well - in which case - why?

Yeah, As Maths, Further Maths, German, Physics and Chemistry then GS on the side. Then I also want to do A2 maths
Original post by Bunneh
Yeah, As Maths, Further Maths, German, Physics and Chemistry then GS on the side. Then I also want to do A2 maths

It would be very unusual to do A Level Maths and AS Further Maths in Y12

Why would you want to do that?
Reply 9

At my school for maths and FM, were supposed to do year 1, C1, C2, S1, S2, D1 and FP1. Year 2, C3, C4, M1, S3, FP2, FP3. Whereas, I wish to do the C3, C4 and M1 in year 1 as well.
Reply 10
Original post by Mia1001
You can obviously. It's a lot of work. I was considering that, but decided it wasn't necessary for my uni course, and didn't want to have to compromise time and effort for it (I want to do law). See how your school timetables it. You may have extra lessons to speed up the learning, because you will essentially need to learn double the amount, and you will compromise free periods. I'm assuming if you are good at maths (as you probably are for f maths), regular a level will be easy. Further maths is more work but not very hard from what I hear, but you need to be dedicated to losing free time and making sure your other subjects get the same amount of attention. Universities seem to not care about more than 3 A Levels, and instead of requesting A*AA, may ask for A*AAA or higher, which is difficult. If you can do it though, or if you need it, definitely do it

In terms of doing it with the others, the lowest I got was 95% in my GCSEs plus I got highest in my school in OCR FSMQ. I just feel like I'd rather doing A Level maths in one year :smile:
Original post by Bunneh
At my school for maths and FM, were supposed to do year 1, C1, C2, S1, S2, D1 and FP1. Year 2, C3, C4, M1, S3, FP2, FP3. Whereas, I wish to do the C3, C4 and M1 in year 1 as well.

Oh, I see - why

Schools make a decision about which way to deliver their FM

Some do Maths in Y12 and FM in Y13 - others do what you are doing

Why are you wanting to take a different path to the one school suggest
Reply 12
It would be very unusual to do A Level Maths and AS Further Maths in Y12

Why would you want to do that?

For some reason, at our school, we have always done As Maths and Further Maths in conjunction with each other.
Original post by Bunneh
For some reason, at our school, we have always done As Maths and Further Maths in conjunction with each other.

yes, as I say - some schools do that - it works well - why are you not just doing that
Reply 14
Oh, I see - why

Schools make a decision about which way to deliver their FM

Some do Maths in Y12 and FM in Y13 - others do what you are doing

Why are you wanting to take a different path to the one school suggest

Because since being in year 7, I've wanted to do 5 plus I don't want to let any of the subjects go, I'm too attached to them.

I guess because I like maths and also because the vast majority of applicants to uni's that require fm will have it to A2.
Original post by Bunneh
Because since being in year 7, I've wanted to do 5 plus I don't want to let any of the subjects go, I'm too attached to them.

So you want to do 5 A Levels - is that what you are saying

If it is

Why

It will just mean that you can spend less time on each
Reply 17
Original post by Bunneh
In terms of doing it with the others, the lowest I got was 95% in my GCSEs plus I got highest in my school in OCR FSMQ. I just feel like I'd rather doing A Level maths in one year :smile:

Some say there is a big gap between GCSEs and A Levels. Not so much for maths, but definitely for other subjects. Chemistry is notoriously difficult, as well as languages. These subjects get harder, and you need to devote time to them. That's why most people only do 4 AS, so they spend as much time as possible on the subjects. Is your general studies compulsory? If not, consider dropping it and replacing it with further maths. My school (very selective state school) is crazy about Oxbridge and gives the vibe that they aren't crazy about GS. I'd recommend checking if the course you want at uni needs or suggests further maths. If not, you could do it for fun (?). I think you can only do a level maths in yr 12, not AS, it depends. Check with the Further Maths network and see what they recommend.
Original post by ANEXIS kZstaR
I guess because I like maths and also because the vast majority of applicants to uni's that require fm will have it to A2.

Sorry, I do not understand what you are saying

My question was - "why split it like that" - most people who do double maths will do 6 or 7 units in Year 12 rather than just doing 3
So you want to do 5 A Levels - is that what you are saying

If it is

Why

It will just mean that you can spend less time on each

What's your opinion on the IB?

Quick Reply

Latest