The Student Room Group

I grew up with blind parents, ask me anything.

I did this a while back on Reddit and got to the front page, and I'm bored, so go for it.

Scroll to see replies

What are your interests?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
What are you currently studying?
And, how did you feel growing up with blind parents?
Did they ever give you 'Happy Birthday' cards for Christmas?
Did they ever pick up the wrong kid from school?
Is your dad Daredevil?
Original post by inachigeek21
What are your interests?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
What are you currently studying?
And, how did you feel growing up with blind parents?

1. Gaming, linux, post rock and books, mainly.
2. Hopefully with some sort of well paying job and some cats.
3. A2 English Lit, Psychology and Law
4. For me, it was totally normal. I resented them for a while when I was 12-13 but I think everyone's a bit of an arse at that age, myself included, and at the moment I'm completely grateful for the slightly unusual experience. (Didn't have a TV growing up, learned to read and cook at a younger than average age, more responsibility etc.)
Original post by Harvey Dent
Did they ever give you 'Happy Birthday' cards for Christmas?
Did they ever pick up the wrong kid from school?
Is your dad Daredevil?

Hah! They think cards are a waste of paper, so no.
Nope, but my mum did grab some random kid's hand in Tesco once, thinking it was me.
Sorry to disappoint but he's a lowly piano tuner.
Do you know how to read braille?
Original post by GoldGhost
Do you know how to read braille?

I can recognise a few letters in braille but not fluently. They can, but prefer to use speech programs on their computers/phones etc.
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
I can recognise a few letters in braille but not fluently. They can, but prefer to use speech programs on their computers/phones etc.

Have they been blind from birth? Do people reactive negatively if they know both your parents are blind?
(edited 9 years ago)
Have they been blind from birth? Do people reactive negatively if they know both your parents are blind?

My mum was blind from birth, my Dad had cancer as a toddler (retinoblastoma) and has no recollection of sight.
Generally people are inquisitive and try and ask as many questions as possible while trying not to make a big deal of it.
How did your parents meet?
Original post by coolerthanbeans
How did your parents meet?

They met at a tandem bike race in 1991. They were both back riders (obviously) and I assume they got talking somehow.
do you ever get sad about it? like your parents don't know what you look like? and you can't show them stuff?
This may be a stupid question but was an extra carer needed when you were growing up to help care for you when you were a baby/toddler?
Original post by NancyRoseC
do you ever get sad about it? like your parents don't know what you look like? and you can't show them stuff?

Doesn't bother me really about them not being able to see what I look like, and if I ever wanted to show them stuff I'd just give it to them and describe it.
Original post by coolerthanbeans
This may be a stupid question but was an extra carer needed when you were growing up to help care for you when you were a baby/toddler?

Nope. My Gran lives fairly near us so she helped out a bit, like mowing the lawn and babysitting when they wanted to go out, but nothing essential.
How did they lose their sight? Or were they born like so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what jobs do they have?
what jobs do they have?

Mum is a women's health physiotherapist, Dad is a piano tuner with his own business.
Original post by jenigma
How did they lose their sight? Or were they born like so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dad had retinoblastoma (eye cancer) as a toddler, my mum was born blind, can't remember the name of her condition though.
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
Dad had retinoblastoma (eye cancer) as a toddler, my mum was born blind, can't remember the name of her condition though.

Do you feel annoyed if people pity you?

Quick Reply

Latest