The Student Room Group

Why so much pressure to loose your virginity?

The moment you turn 16 or get into a relationship people expect you to be experience.
Nope. I don't think that's true at all.
Original post by Jgco2chem
The moment you turn 16 or get into a relationship people expect you to be experience.

Well it's simple ain't it. Media. And now social media. At first, it was all in the media's hands selling propaganda on how to be. Well...with social media, we're doing it all ourselves :facepalm: Society fighting back by documenting their own life and Liking what they like has backfired; now people can see everything, and now they will create the "norm" because, this has that number of Likes or views or follows or reposts :rolleyes: So people who are engaged follow this because the "people have spoken." And so now, look at what gets positive reinforcement...ratty behaviour. Well, sir, I'm not into it :haughty:
:lolwut:...

*lose :colondollar:

The moment I turn 16? I'm not looking forward to next year then. :rolleyes: It depends on who you are and who you talk to I guess. If you want to be influenced by them and/ the media etc. That's your choice.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never noticed any kind of pressure for that - at least not from, or towards, anyone I know. :dontknow:
It might be because sex is considered "cool" by some people. Why is sex considered cool? Probably because some of them are taught that "sex is bad, mmkay?" and they want to rebel, or maybe because other people just REALLY enjoy how it feels and then go on to talk about how great they think it is, which more people overhear, so they start to think "hey, I wanna try that!" And finally, as RiOt GrrrL stated, because we see it all the time in the media. For example, in The 40-Year-Old Virgin, the main character is portrayed to be missing out on something "great", so maybe other people want to lose it as quickly as possible so that they "don't end up like him".

Idk, I'm not a psychologist or anything. I don't even know why I'm replying to this, but there you go. :smile:
lose*

and nope its not true :P
There is a lot of pressure.

I think it's because it was one of those things you couldn't do in "the olden days" so now it's seen as more 'ok' a lot of people do it.
Also it's constantly in films, TV, the media in general. I'm sick of seeing it there.
Original post by Jgco2chem

I guess it depends on your social groups, some may pressure you other groups may not care.
I've never actually felt that pressure, but it may be because of the people I was around.
Because if you have lost it, it suggests that you are more popular/confident/interesting/hot etc.
I never felt pressure but that's probs cuz am butters :frown:
Reply 11
To make an analogy TSR would understand, it's like a peer reviewed journal, it holds more credibility as someone else has given it their approval.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
16? You must be from a posh area. Where I went to school it was uncommon to make it to 15.
Original post by RiOt GrrrL
Well it's simple ain't it. Media. And now social media. At first, it was all in the media's hands selling propaganda on how to be. Well...with social media, we're doing it all ourselves :facepalm: Society fighting back by documenting their own life and Liking what they like has backfired; now people can see everything, and now they will create the "norm" because, this has that number of Likes or views or follows or reposts :rolleyes: So people who are engaged follow this because the "people have spoken." And so now, look at what gets positive reinforcement...ratty behaviour. Well, sir, I'm not into it :haughty:

Hmm, so you don't think teenagers were desperate to get their end away before mass media talked about it?
Probably because for young people its like an act of rebellion against parents and the authorities that promote abstinence, so going against that is considered cool.
Reply 15
Peer pressure, If someone has close friends that have lost theres their’s pressure can be put on the one who remains a virgin to lose their virginity.

It all various person to person as some have never really had the chance to lose their ‘V’ plates whereas others have had the opportunity and turn it down for whatever reason.
I've noticed this too. And it was the same before I was 16 too.
Reply 17
I think young people should avoid being pressured into doing things they could regret later. If you ask me, I'd say there is pressure everywhere, even for adults but it takes commitment to doing the right things to overcome them.

Quick Reply

Latest