The Student Room Group

Oxford?!

I'm thinking about applying for Oxford next year but I think my GCSE results will let me down, I did BTEC Art and Design Level 2 and got Distinction* also BTEC Level 3 and got Distinction*Distinction*, and I'm currently on the Foundation Diploma hopefully gaining a Distinction at the end of this year..
Would these results give me a higher chance of getting in?
Should I even bother applying?
Reply 1
Original post by Abbbiejj
I'm thinking about applying for Oxford next year but I think my GCSE results will let me down, I did BTEC Art and Design Level 2 and got Distinction* also BTEC Level 3 and got Distinction*Distinction*, and I'm currently on the Foundation Diploma hopefully gaining a Distinction at the end of this year..

is that what you took for A levels? Oxford doesn't take Btec I'm sure. Sorry
oxford DOES take BTEC if you have a distinction
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/fine-art
Reply 3
Original post by ayeshasaurus
oxford DOES take BTEC if you have a distinction
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/fine-art

Yeah thankfully they do take BTEC, but I still have no idea if I should bother applying or if they will just throw my application away

lol.

Don't even bother applying if you don't have a minimum of 6-7A*s @ GCSE...
In terms of the Art department, Oxford are much more lenient on grades and the Ruskin have said that your GCSE's don't matter (I'm not sure how idealistic there being here though). But you do need AAA at A-level.
Reply 7
Contact the department and ask them.
Yeah thankfully they do take BTEC, but I still have no idea if I should bother applying or if they will just throw my application away

Many courses need all applicants to sit for an additional aptitude test. The good news is this allows you to show where you stand within your cohort of applicants. I like to think of it as a 2nd chance for those whose grades may not have been impressive. Admissions Tutors then make the decision to interview or not after these aptitude tests. Sample tests are available online for you to have a look.
Reply 9
Original post by Incubator
Don't even bother applying if you don't have a minimum of 6-7A*s @ GCSE...

I know this post is two weeks old, but for clarification this isn't true. It arguably has some merit for those subjects that do not have admissions tests, but for those which do this isn't true - you can counter a lower GCSE profile by performing well on the admissions test (and interview).
Original post by Noble.
I know this post is two weeks old, but for clarification this isn't true. It arguably has some merit for those subjects that do not have admissions tests, but for those which do this isn't true - you can counter a lower GCSE profile by performing well on the admissions test (and interview).

Yes that's so true.

And Oxford explicitly says they will only evaluate on 3 A levels for those presenting A Levels. No point in trying to impress them with more .... that's what they said in briefing to potential applicants.
I'd also like to add that the aptitude test for art is a drawing test. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest